Gawd I LOVE The JPIIC Model In The Fractal!!

Absolutely. I know the Real Thing should be what one would normally prefer but the FAS models are great.
I love physical amps and still have a bunch. I have a like new straight from Mesa MkV I still reamp sometimes. I just can’t justify putting a few k into amps anymore. I don’t gig with them and rarely fire anything up.

Reactions: JT
@TSJMajesty, has your opinion changed since trialing the Petrucci plugin?
I do love the JP2C in the Axe, but I've had an issue with what I hear as this extra "fizz" in many of the high gain models for a while, but I've made peace with myself that's it's a factor of how an amp model is captured, using a close mic, and hearing that tone at low volumes through headphones. And I further discovered some phones are worse than others. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to hearing that fizz.

However, it's not the same in the plugin. Same listening environment, same headphones, same volume, and it's not the same tone. That fizz to me sounds like it's part of the distortion, like it belongs there, as opposed to seemingly floating sort of separately from the tone. And I've been using the plugin pretty exclusively now for the past several days.

I don't know what else to say. But it's interesting that someone else (edit: you did, Lol) made a post saying that running the plugin through, I can't remember if he said real cab or "FRFR", but the model sounded better in that setup, at more realistic volume levels. Which kind of correlates to my own observations. I say "kind of" because I haven't yet compared the model to the plugin through my own amp + cab.

But one things is certain: For simply practicing with headphones, for $80 (right now, with the sale), there's nothing out there that can compare. Right now I'm using the Dream Lead preset, which has this classic rock vibe, yet creamy, almost squishy overdrive that's super easy to play. If I feel like I need a bit more, I just hit the boost on the Majesty. Yeah, you need a computer and an interface, but the tones are being generated via a freaking plugin, that also has wonderful-sounding, as well as ridiculously easy-to-dial-in, effects.

I do love the JP2C in the Axe, but I've had an issue with what I hear as this extra "fizz" in many of the high gain models for a while, but I've made peace with myself that's it's a factor of how an amp model is captured, using a close mic, and hearing that tone at low volumes through headphones. And I further discovered some phones are worse than others. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to hearing that fizz.

However, it's not the same in the plugin. Same listening environment, same headphones, same volume, and it's not the same tone. That fizz to me sounds like it's part of the distortion, like it belongs there, as opposed to seemingly floating sort of separately from the tone. And I've been using the plugin pretty exclusively now for the past several days.

I don't know what else to say. But it's interesting that someone else (edit: you did, Lol) made a post saying that running the plugin through, I can't remember if he said real cab or "FRFR", but the model sounded better in that setup, at more realistic volume levels. Which kind of correlates to my own observations. I say "kind of" because I haven't yet compared the model to the plugin through my own amp + cab.

But one things is certain: For simply practicing with headphones, for $80 (right now, with the sale), there's nothing out there that can compare. Right now I'm using the Dream Lead preset, which has this classic rock vibe, yet creamy, almost squishy overdrive that's super easy to play. If I feel like I need a bit more, I just hit the boost on the Majesty. Yeah, you need a computer and an interface, but the tones are being generated via a freaking plugin, that also has wonderful-sounding, as well as ridiculously easy-to-dial-in, effects.
Nice! Yeah it’s a really nice plugin for sure and sounds awesome (especially in stereo with headphones). Compared to Plini plugin, it sounded polished and refined) in a good way). I also preferred the Petrucci plugin to the Fractal via headphones. As I have mentioned I didn’t like Petrucci FM3 preset until I cranked it in a jam session (even using "FRFR"). That’s where it really shined for me. That and the effects. :guiness

Of course why can’t we have both. :banana

Run a low pass filter on your impulse responses. The Axe FX does this in the AxeEdit really easily in the Cab block. Set it low to like 7kHz and see if that removes the fizz you're speaking of. This should allow all frequencies lower than 7kHz to pass through and (with a taper) basically none above.

This will remove a lot of the highs from your sound and is not ideal, but its a start. Begin to move the frequency knob up a bit until you get a sound you're comfortable with. I generally sit somewhere around 9-10 kHz for the low pass filter on mine for IRs, but YMMV.

Also as someone that owned a JP2C for about 5 years, the "Yellow Shred" patch in the Axe FX III and FM3/FM9 is spot on what the amp sounds like. It's one of, if not the best models in the Fractal unit IMO.

Run a low pass filter on your impulse responses. The Axe FX does this in the AxeEdit really easily in the Cab block. Set it low to like 7kHz and see if that removes the fizz you're speaking of. This should allow all frequencies lower than 7kHz to pass through and (with a taper) basically none above.

This will remove a lot of the highs from your sound and is not ideal, but its a start. Begin to move the frequency knob up a bit until you get a sound you're comfortable with. I generally sit somewhere around 9-10 kHz for the low pass filter on mine for IRs, but YMMV.

Also as someone that owned a JP2C for about 5 years, the "Yellow Shred" patch in the Axe FX III and FM3/FM9 is spot on what the amp sounds like. It's one of, if not the best models in the Fractal unit IMO.
I've done all that. It's part of the reason I can make a thread like this in the first place.
But from the first notes I played through the (Archetype Petrucci) plugin, that particular aspect of the fizz I'm hearing, wasn't/isn't there.

It also isn't there when I listen to Cooper Carter's demo videos of the JPIIC in the Axe III, using his Majesty. Which is odd. I'm using the same exact preset he's using, and I'm pretty sure he has said he didn't use any post-processing.

Edited to add: I'm pretty certain it has something to do with my hearing being more sensitive to highs at low volume, even if that doesn't explain why I notice a difference between using the Petrucci Rig preset in the Axe, vs. the other things I mentioned.

Last edited:
I've done all that. It's part of the reason I can make a thread like this in the first place.
But from the first notes I played through the (Archetype Petrucci) plugin, that particular aspect of the fizz I'm hearing, wasn't/isn't there.

It also isn't there when I listen to Cooper Carter's demo videos of the JPIIC in the Axe III, using his Majesty. Which is odd. I'm using the same exact preset he's using, and I'm pretty sure he has said he didn't use any post-processing.

Edited to add: I'm pretty certain it has something to do with my hearing being more sensitive to highs at low volume, even if that doesn't explain why I notice a difference between using the Petrucci Rig preset in the Axe, vs. the other things I mentioned.
Do you have any sweet sweet clips of the JP plugin? I know I can just search online but hey, this is part of the forum fun lol cool it not

Do you have any sweet sweet clips of the JP plugin? I know I can just search online but hey, this is part of the forum fun lol cool it not
No, I don't record anything. Yet.
But of course you can pull up the video of JP demo'ing it.
Or just download the trial, and try the Simple Solo or Dream Rig presets. Those are 2 I quite like. But there's many great tones in it.

And please don't misunderstand... I definitely don't feel it's worlds better than the Axe; just different, mostly. I'm actually playing the Axe tonight, on a tweaked version of the Petrucci Rig preset with some Cab Block tweaks... some Room, Preamp Drive, and a 24dB slope, high-cut @ 4274 Hz, among other things I can't recall without comparing it to the factory.

I love the sound of the Fractal Mark stuff, but the experience of using a Mark amp is all about the push pulls and tactile side of it, and I hate how all the different push pull states and channels are separate models. Also having the EQ on a separate page means more clicking around than I’d like.

Take nothing away from the sound, but a Mark series amp is so fun to sit in front of and just kind of wade through different sounds. It’s a hard experience to copy in emulations (vs amps that are more “set and forget” like an 800 or SLO).

I also think the Neural plugin nails that tone too, I just don’t like the included IR’s as they’re so dark and there’s no 57.

btw I noticed a fizziness on the Fractal stuff when I first got an FM-3; in my case I just had to lower the input (using an external DI box here),

No, I don't record anything. Yet.
But of course you can pull up the video of JP demo'ing it.
Or just download the trial, and try the Simple Solo or Dream Rig presets. Those are 2 I quite like. But there's many great tones in it.

And please don't misunderstand... I definitely don't feel it's worlds better than the Axe; just different, mostly. I'm actually playing the Axe tonight, on a tweaked version of the Petrucci Rig preset with some Cab Block tweaks... some Room, Preamp Drive, and a 24dB slope, high-cut @ 4274 Hz, among other things I can't recall without comparing it to the factory.
Oh for sure! Whatever works best for you! I used my trial but never actually got around to firing it up unfortunately. I have enough for now but I'll listen to some clips!

Back