Fractal FM9 tips and tricks

My recommendation is to put your User presets at the end of the Factory
presets (400 or later), and then when Fractal updates the Factory presets you
can just overwrite them all without having to worry about it messing with your
own presets.

It's just numbers. No real need to have your presets at the beginning.

This what I've been doing. Basically 390 and up are mine. 4cm presets all together, grouped into Home and Gig categories, amp model presets all together, grouped into the same Home/Gig division.

own presets.

I start mine in the high 400s; >500 is my set of custom presets that see regular use.

I start mine in the high 400s; >500 is my set of custom presets that see regular use.
My problem now is many of the new 3.0 presets sound good, plus I have Austin Buddy’s Live Gold too, so i have to figure out which of each to store on there “just in case I want to mess around,” and still leave adequate room for my custom presets.

Am I remembering correctly that you’ve said you have a bunch of kitchen sink presets? Do you organize them in any particular order (level of gain, types of amps used in the core tone, etc.)?
I just have one for rock and one for country, all my gigging presets are in one preset row on the FM9 (bottom 5 buttons). Considering I only use it to gig, this works well for me and rarely gets tweaked now.

own presets.

I use Admin M@‘s recommendations and start my user presets at 511 on my FM3 and move backwards. I’ve started doing it on my stomp as well.

Last edited:
Seems like the majority of replies are pretty similar in keeping the stock presets where they are and adding new presets to the upper blank slots.

I do the same thing. Although, after a month and a half of ownership I have only made one preset with my 4 favorite amp models in a single block and occasionally refine that one preset. Today, I actually had an urge to make a new preset... but that went away quickly.

Not limited to the FM9, but If you can spare the CPU cycles:

The Cab block 50μs Tape preamp on "High Quality" with just a touch of drive and saturation is :chef for cleaner / EOB tones. Just a little compression and magical mojo without using a compressor. I haven't tried it on higher gain stuff.

It is very CPU hungry though. I personally don't feel like it's worth the effort in "Economy" mode.

Last edited:
Awesome. Haven’t seen them so will definitely check them out!
Yeah these are actually some of my faves
There are so many things you can do and so many vids that many people miss them
I personally LOVE momentary effects like hittting a big D chord and then using a slicer killswitch effect or creating a rythm in a verse
Same thing with harmonizer to me

it’s just so much more effective when it’s only used like at the end of a solo or a bend or the second run of the lead , just little things that pull your ears in and make you go wow what was that ?

That Whammy trick is priceless. Definitely going to save that as a block because there’s generally a Whammy in every preset.

I have a single momentary switch on my III/FC6 board that I use to trigger the FreqOut loop, but I can assign it to anything. If you assign it to the Whammy it does the Ricochet thing, but I usually use it pop flange over a chord or something. These are the exact reasons I love the sandbox aspect of the Fractal gear.

LT and Coopers vids for them are both great. Detailed but not too drawn out.
Exactly they don’t go into to heavy a tutorial, they show you the steps
And the parameters to change
Sometimes that’s actually better I think than just giving you a preset
Cause if you follow along you learn

The biggest thing I can say to any new Fractal owner Rome was not built in a day don’t try to do 8 different things at once
If you are trying to set up wah , whammy , dual amps , modifiers
Your going to get lost and in the weeds

I would say once you have a template preset your happy with basic amp / Cab drive you can focus on these other cool things

Pick one like today I will set up the momentary EVH flange like unchained work on that then save it to library

I think many people expect to much too soon it takes a bit to learn all the in /outs but watching these vids is certainly a big help

Ok, add me to the “erase all the stock presets and have a small handful of your own“ group. The stock ones are pretty useless if you're a ss pa + cab player anyway, as they seem pretty dependent on the cab/IR being used?

I now have 1-10 as my 4cm, effects-only presets for live and at home with my Electra Dyne, while 11-20 are for Fractal amp models using a ss power amp and Mesa cab, both live and at home. 21 and up are for experiments and in-development stuff.

Also, something fancy I've got set up on live presets that use amp modelling: I'm running two amp blocks, one optimized for FOH using a cab block routed to Out2, and one optimized for my onstage ss pwr amp + cab, routed to Out1.

Back