Fractal FM9 into Fender FR-12 video and first impressions

Jesus Christ. That’s awesome, sound and playing both! So, you’d say the FM9 does pretty well with Fender amps?

Fender did a fine job with the FR stuff. Hopefully they continue to improve and drive that series.
hey thank you!

Yeah it does Fender amps really well - that was kind of the deal-breaker for me in that my main amp before I went to the "Fractal side" was a '66 Super Reverb. The modeler tones for higher gain stuff all sounded authentic to me, but that edge-of breakup clean-but-not-clean tone seemed elusive. But I think it's the case that whatever you are really familiar with and spend a lot of time with you get to be picky about - you notice all the subtleties and nuances etc. - so likely guys who are really into high-gain stuff heard things I didn't. In any case, I'm very happy with the FM9! IRs make a big difference too - I wasn't super happy with the Super IRs in the Axe II-gen / AX8 but found Tyler Grund's JBL E130 IR was really good. Now with the latest gen, I don't know if it's the IRs that have improved, or the modeling, but I find lots of good options in the factory cabs. The Ownhammer 1x15 Vibroverb IRs are great for the Vibroverb model too.

Ah hell yeah!!!!

Damn, that’s how ya make an entrance!!! Welcome to the forum!
Rock And Roll Comedy GIF by Paramount+
lol - thanks!
wonder how diff it would sound into a tube combo? side by side would be a cool vid
I'm not sure that'd really be an apples-to-apples comparison - you'd need to switch off some aspects of the FM9's modeling if you ran into a tube combo. The FR-12 really is more like a PA speaker, but dressed up as an amp.

Nice playing and sounds great! That signal chain will also be my usage case for mine when it arrives.

Well, that and with an FM3 on occasion as well...:love

Sounds killer. I got a little lost in the commentary, what IR are you using in this clip? I haven’t found a super IR I’m really happy with yet.

D

Overall very impressed with this thing! Just had a short time where I was able to crank it up and give it a good go. This was the Super Verb model, with some drive on in a couple clips. Compared to the EV wedge I've been using it sounds quite a bit more "realistic" for lack of a better term, fuller - really nice sparkle like a real Super has. Plenty loud too - I had it up about 2 o'clock and the FM9 about noon - I think it'll hang with the band live, we shall find out tomorrow night!

The only thing it lacked to me was the extreme bottom end, which I only noticed when I tried an octave down effect - didn't have as much as the EV did. But unless you're using pitch-down effects or tuning way low, this probably isn't a huge issue. Still, would be nice if it had just a wee bit more extension into the lower frequencies for those times when you want it. Also, a sandwich dispenser and draught beer on tap.

I ended up running it with the bass rolled down a touch and the cut knob up to maybe 8 o'clock. Just to tame some of those highs. That may be in my preset though. As far as being 'amp in the room' well this is probably as close as I've heard anything do it. My house isn't the ideal acoustic environment, but it's all I had today. Will get some rehearsal space booked at some point to keep honing.

As far as the infamous hiss, I forgot it was a thing - so I guess I didn't notice it lol

Have started using modified version of the OFM9G layout setup and it's made things far easier - that'll also get it's maiden voyage tomorrow night in Houston.

Just ran some typical SRV stuff for reference since he's the Super Reverb GOAT, and some twangy stuff too. If all works out I may try to save up my duckets to get a second one of these.

How did the show go?

-Aaron

Sounds killer. I got a little lost in the commentary, what IR are you using in this clip? I haven’t found a super IR I’m really happy with yet.

D
This would have been Tyler Grund's JBL E130 IR - google it and you should be able to find a download link - it's a really nice IR. I'm also using a few of the factory Super IRs from time to time - I think the 57 C one and then possibly one of the 121 mic IRs?

This would have been Tyler Grund's JBL E130 IR - google it and you should be able to find a download link - it's a really nice IR. I'm also using a few of the factory Super IRs from time to time - I think the 57 C one and then possibly one of the 121 mic IRs?

Ah, that tricked me, didn’t sound like a 15” speaker to me. I’ve got that IR somewhere, don’t know how to convert it to a wav format though so that I can try it in Helix. I think all I have is the syx file. It will be a while until I get an fm9 (waiting on a few updates to make it in). I fully believed that was a 410 IR you were using…

D

good! plenty of volume on stage - think I might tweak the presets a little as far as the fuzz sound - didn't quite translate as well from tweaking at home to live, but it's close! The FR12 is remarkably clear and relatively even - definitely an upgrade from my EV. Here's a quick clip recorded on my phone from side-stage:

In case anyone was curious, this vid is the difference between a legit player dancing on the fingerboard and your average blues hack repeating cliched licks all over the place.

Tasty playing, man!!!! There was a lick in the start that reminded me of something I heard on one of the Hellecasters albums!

In case anyone was curious, this vid is the difference between a legit player dancing on the fingerboard and your average blues hack repeating cliched licks all over the place.

Tasty playing, man!!!! There was a lick in the start that reminded me of something I heard on one of the Hellecasters albums!
cheers man - thanks so much for the kind words! Love the Hellecasters so quite possible some of that stuff has seeped into me lol
Here's the full tune that clip is from:

cheers man - thanks so much for the kind words! Love the Hellecasters so quite possible some of that stuff has seeped into me lol
Here's the full tune that clip is from:

Dig it highly, man! Right up my alley! The low end on these things seems to be in the right place. Who says you need an old Fender Tube amp to play blues and roots music?

-Aaron

Back