Fractal FM9 into Fender FR-12 video and first impressions

Cainer

Groupie
Overall very impressed with this thing! Just had a short time where I was able to crank it up and give it a good go. This was the Super Verb model, with some drive on in a couple clips. Compared to the EV wedge I've been using it sounds quite a bit more "realistic" for lack of a better term, fuller - really nice sparkle like a real Super has. Plenty loud too - I had it up about 2 o'clock and the FM9 about noon - I think it'll hang with the band live, we shall find out tomorrow night!

The only thing it lacked to me was the extreme bottom end, which I only noticed when I tried an octave down effect - didn't have as much as the EV did. But unless you're using pitch-down effects or tuning way low, this probably isn't a huge issue. Still, would be nice if it had just a wee bit more extension into the lower frequencies for those times when you want it. Also, a sandwich dispenser and draught beer on tap.

I ended up running it with the bass rolled down a touch and the cut knob up to maybe 8 o'clock. Just to tame some of those highs. That may be in my preset though. As far as being 'amp in the room' well this is probably as close as I've heard anything do it. My house isn't the ideal acoustic environment, but it's all I had today. Will get some rehearsal space booked at some point to keep honing.

As far as the infamous hiss, I forgot it was a thing - so I guess I didn't notice it lol

Have started using modified version of the OFM9G layout setup and it's made things far easier - that'll also get it's maiden voyage tomorrow night in Houston.

Just ran some typical SRV stuff for reference since he's the Super Reverb GOAT, and some twangy stuff too. If all works out I may try to save up my duckets to get a second one of these.

Overall very impressed with this thing! Just had a short time where I was able to crank it up and give it a good go. This was the Super Verb model, with some drive on in a couple clips. Compared to the EV wedge I've been using it sounds quite a bit more "realistic" for lack of a better term, fuller - really nice sparkle like a real Super has. Plenty loud too - I had it up about 2 o'clock and the FM9 about noon - I think it'll hang with the band live, we shall find out tomorrow night!

The only thing it lacked to me was the extreme bottom end, which I only noticed when I tried an octave down effect - didn't have as much as the EV did. But unless you're using pitch-down effects or tuning way low, this probably isn't a huge issue. Still, would be nice if it had just a wee bit more extension into the lower frequencies for those times when you want it. Also, a sandwich dispenser and draught beer on tap.

I ended up running it with the bass rolled down a touch and the cut knob up to maybe 8 o'clock. Just to tame some of those highs. That may be in my preset though. As far as being 'amp in the room' well this is probably as close as I've heard anything do it. My house isn't the ideal acoustic environment, but it's all I had today. Will get some rehearsal space booked at some point to keep honing.

As far as the infamous hiss, I forgot it was a thing - so I guess I didn't notice it lol

Have started using modified version of the OFM9G layout setup and it's made things far easier - that'll also get it's maiden voyage tomorrow night in Houston.

Just ran some typical SRV stuff for reference since he's the Super Reverb GOAT, and some twangy stuff too. If all works out I may try to save up my duckets to get a second one of these.

Great CHOPS! :chef

Welcome to TGF.

Holy shit you’re on here. I’ve been a fan of your tones and playing. Always :chef.
hey thanks! I actually just found this forum recently - somehow it snuck under my guitar-nerd-dar! lol
Good lord, do I love strats, IN THE HANDS OF OTHERS.

I’m not familiar with your work sir, but your tones and playing are just :chef
thanks! Yeah Strats are a bit of a battle to play in many ways - but they've got that thing!
Thx for sharing; as an FM9er, I've been curious about how it pairs with the FR-12....

More, please!
So far so good - it really made my EV ELX-112p sound pretty uninspiring next to it (though maybe it's just gotten old). I'll give it a good pacing at tomorrow night's gig and see how we go.

Ah hell yeah!!!!

Damn, that’s how ya make an entrance!!! Welcome to the forum!
Rock And Roll Comedy GIF by Paramount+

wonder how diff it would sound into a tube combo? side by side would be a cool vid

Back