Forget Mayer, Trey Anastasio is societies last guitar god…

Holy shit the boogie is back

View attachment 25538
I saw that on Reddit last night, and now I'm super curious as to how he's running these amps. All on at the same time? Certain amps for certain songs? Inquiring minds wanna know!
Are the Komet and Trainwreck his mainstays?
For like 30 years he was running that Mesa Mark III head. Then he switched up to a Deluxe Reverb with Alessandro mods for a minute before switching to the Komet. Then he scored the first of two Trainwrecks, which is what the Komet was a clone of. Now he seems to be bringing like 16 amps on stage. :LOL:

Holy shit the boogie is back

View attachment 25538

Reverse V. Tasty! :beer

:rofl

When you need to POKE out in a mix.

searching look around GIF

I saw that on Reddit last night, and now I'm super curious as to how he's running these amps. All on at the same time? Certain amps for certain songs? Inquiring minds wanna know!

For like 30 years he was running that Mesa Mark III head. Then he switched up to a Deluxe Reverb with Alessandro mods for a minute before switching to the Komet. Then he scored the first of two Trainwrecks, which is what the Komet was a clone of. Now he seems to be bringing like 16 amps on stage. :LOL:
He started out on a Deluxe Reverb. Then the MkIII + 2x12 V30 cab. There was the CAE rig there in the mid-90s as well.

Post-break-up and reunion he had a Marshall in that mix as well. It's been a real _journey_.

The MkIII was the longest tenured amp though, for certain. With the homemade V30 cabs.

Cabs have changed a whole lot as well in the last 15 years. Almost every tour.

Do you know which particular version/stripe?
He's got at least two. IIRC the preferred one was a blue stripe. But I'm having trouble finding that reference now. I think he mentioned it and joked about it being the "less desirable" MkIII in his original gear run down video from the early aughts. He joked and then said, "It's better to have gear you know than the absolutely best gear" or something to that effect.

https://treysguitarrig.com/the-amplifiers/mesa-boogie-mark-iii/ is usually the most accurate source and it doesn't say. Just that it's a mid-to-late 80s MkIII.

I was not aware Trey ever used a Marshall, so thanks for that! Any idea what model it was?
It was a JTM45HW on the Fall 2016 tour. It didn't last past that tour. Maybe the worst of the new amps he tried? Woofy and wooly with little in the way of cleans on tap for him. He used it on the Ziggy Stardust album cover they did that fall in Vegas for Halloween.

It was a JTM45HW on the Fall 2016 tour. It didn't last past that tour. Maybe the worst of the new amps he tried? Woofy and wooly with little in the way of cleans on tap for him. He used it on the Ziggy Stardust album cover they did that fall in Vegas for Halloween.
Yeah, that doesn't seem like a good fit for Trey, at all! I can see how anyone would love a cranked JTM, and maybe it worked for the Mick Ronson material, but again doesn't seem like a good fit for Phish stuff.

So I gotta ask man - what's your Trey rig look like?
Let Me See Beavis And Butthead GIF by Paramount+

By the way: IT WAS EPIC AND GLORIOUS!

An amazing show and then it just went to the moon and back when Billy came out. It was like he'd been playing with the band for 30+ years, he fit in so well. Even better than Trucks' sit-in and I thought that sit-in was amazing.

I'll be rewatching this show a million times, I'm certain.

He had a Two Rock head and cab behind him on stage. And a pedalboard he was using. Was this rack rig in use?

He played a PRS Hollowbody.

Hmm good question, I just lifted that from a phish guitar group on facebook. Maybe the rack is a backup if the stage rig were to go down?

Back