Food preferences considered weird or strange. Give it up!

Normal peanut butter? Crunchy or smooth? What jam? Strawberry or what? Plain white bread?

Yes

🙌

It’s sort of the salty fats with the tart sweets, brought together in a very inexpensive sandwich.

Funny story as I was raised in home where food was managed tightly. I grew up eating a lot of PB&J’s… By the time I was a teenager, I just consider that poor-people food. I would not eat them. (I was living on a diet a $.50 quarterpounders.)

However, one time up in boundary waters/Quetico, Canada … we had driven days to get there finally, had a boat in the water and I was starving.

My dad mentioned that mom had made some sandwiches for the trip. Uggh.

Turns out they were PB&J, but they were the best things I’ve ever eaten. Hunger is a powerful thing. Still enjoy one time to time.

Can I ask you Americans about the peanut butter and jam/jelly/whatever on bread thing? It can’t be that every kid has that in a lunch box to school??? Right? Maybe it’s just a TV thing?

It’s a mystery to me… so much so that I need to try it. What’s the secret?
Normal peanut butter? Crunchy or smooth? What jam? Strawberry or what? Plain white bread?
Absolutely a thing. If you try it and don't like it, don't give up. You have to get the ratio of pb to j correct along with the reaio of that to the bread. Then there's jelly type that matters too. I prefer strawberry but try them all. If you want to mix it up put some butter on a slice before you put the PB on.

Then there's toasted English muffin pb and j sandwiches or waffle PB and j.

I like rippled chips with PB, or waffle fries and PB.

Yes

🙌

It’s sort of the salty fats with the tart sweets, brought together in a very inexpensive sandwich.

Funny story as I was raised in home where food was managed tightly. I grew up eating a lot of PB&J’s… By the time I was a teenager, I just consider that poor-people food. I would not eat them. (I was living on a diet a $.50 quarterpounders.)

However, one time up in boundary waters/Quetico, Canada … we had driven days to get there finally, had a boat in the water and I was starving.

My dad mentioned that mom had made some sandwiches for the trip. Uggh.

Turns out they were PB&J, but they were the best things I’ve ever eaten. Hunger is a powerful thing. Still enjoy one time to time.
Had sort of a similar experience with PB&J. I have a whole classification for food I call “babysitter food.” It’s mostly PB&J, bologna sandwiches, non beef hotdogs, speghettios, canned soup, etc.

I’ve come around to PB&J as an adult, but I will get ill if I so much as smell that other stuff.

Man, I thought really really hard on this one. The only weird or strange food preference I can think of is putting ketchup, yes ketchup, on my baked potatoes. I rarely ever eat baked potatoes, but when I do, I top them with ketchup.

Man, I thought really really hard on this one. The only weird or strange food preference I can think of is putting ketchup, yes ketchup, on my baked potatoes. I rarely ever eat baked potatoes, but when I do, I top them with ketchup.
Never heard of that but makes sense really. I love ketchup with fries.

Can I ask you Americans about the peanut butter and jam/jelly/whatever on bread thing? It can’t be that every kid has that in a lunch box to school??? Right? Maybe it’s just a TV thing?

It’s a mystery to me… so much so that I need to try it. What’s the secret?

It definitely is a real thing. I'm kind of an old fashioned straight shooter with my PB&J. Jiff PB and Welchs grape jelly on wheat or multigrain bread. I mean dont get me wrong I love me some good homemade jelly or jam but I dont keep much of it in the house. What I grew up on though was PB and Fluff. A fluffernutter sammy

It definitely is a real thing. I'm kind of an old fashioned straight shooter with my PB&J. Jiff PB and Welchs grape jelly on wheat or multigrain bread. I mean dont get me wrong I love me some good homemade jelly or jam but I dont keep much of it in the house. What I grew up on though was PB and Fluff. A fluffernutter sammy
Yep, Jiff and Welchs, on Colonial or Sunbeam White Bread.
My mom used to make banana sandwiches a lot too. Sliced bananas w/ mayo spread on white bread. I loved em!

Oh man! I haven't had one in like 5 years. So good. I apply the PB and Fluff as thick as possible and my hands are covered with it by the end. :chef

Fluff in hot chocolate is good IMO.

Is fluff some kind of butter? You’re throwing in new things now into my pb&j pondering :rofl
It's some sort of marshmallow concoction. Not sure how to describe it. It's kind of paste like, or like a thick caramel maybe. Supposedly has something to do with marshmallow but I don't know. It's like pure sugar IMO. Fucking great with peanut butter on bread though.

Here's a link I didn't read.

Here's the thing, one can hate marshmallows but LOVE fluff. That's me, I can't stand s'mores or any marshmallow snowballs or whatever crap but I loves me a good fluffernutter sammich.

Last edited:
It's some sort of marshmallow concoction. Not sure how to describe it. It's kind of paste like, or like a thick caramel maybe. Supposedly has something to do with marshmallow but I don't know. It's like pure sugar IMO. f*****g great with peanut butter on bread though.

Here's a link I didn't read.

Here's the thing, one can hate marshmallows but LOVE fluff. That's me, I can't stand s'mores or any marshmallow snowballs or whatever crap but I loves me a good fluffernutter sammich.
Haha wtf… marshmallow cream… ok. That’s also new to me.

So… peanut butter and strawberry jam on a white bread loaf? I do like toast bread, so that might be worth trying. I need to try it. Doubt we have “fluff”… we do have marshmallows of course. It’s common to use for ice cream.
But… marshmallow and peanut butter… seriously I doubt that combo… otoh I’m also doubting the pb&j combo… but millions of Americans can’t be wrong is my theory.

Not a preference because it’s nasty, but anyone familiar with this one?

My late grandmother used to always make a jello base with kiwis and bananas with a layer of cool whip and then topped with cheddar cheese :wat

Not a preference because it’s nasty, but anyone familiar with this one?

My late grandmother used to always make a jello base with kiwis and bananas with a layer of cool whip and then topped with cheddar cheese :wat
It actually sounds delicious right until that top layer :oops:

For some reason putting various veggies, fruits, and cheeses in Jello molds was a thing when I
was growing up. Carrots and Pineapple in Orange Jello. Cottage Cheese and Cucumbers in Lime
Jello.

And the school lunch staple of Fruit Cocktail mixed with Jello. :wat

My personal fave was my late Grandma's Sweet Black Cherries in Black Cherry Jello. :chef

Haha wtf… marshmallow cream… ok. That’s also new to me.

So… peanut butter and strawberry jam on a white bread loaf? I do like toast bread, so that might be worth trying. I need to try it. Doubt we have “fluff”… we do have marshmallows of course. It’s common to use for ice cream.
But… marshmallow and peanut butter… seriously I doubt that combo… otoh I’m also doubting the pb&j combo… but millions of Americans can’t be wrong is my theory.

Yup regular sliced white bread.

Pickle absolutely belongs with a burger, but a larger one on the side is acceptable. Shit american style mustard is essential and non negotiable though. It took me a long time to realise that without mustard it’s not a burger, and also that the bread is absolutely critical. The best burger’s I’ve ever had have been down to the bread (VLND in Tallinn, Fat Fuck’s in Prague).

My weird food thing…. eating a lemon like an orange.

Back