FM3 question from someone who’s owned one or two

Hell, if I weren’t hellbent on buying an amp, I’d buy it! I’m getting one eventually, it’s just a bit redundant now while I don’t have an amp I *really* want yet.

Is $825 a good price for an FM3? I was surprised to see one pop up locally, not common in my neck of the woods at all. I definitely don't need another amp or modeler but I've never tried anything Fractal before so I'm kind of curious.

I sold mine of $895 so yeah, I think that's a good price.

I can’t get the Vibe in the Fractal to sound like my Dry Bell; best way I can explain it is it sounds like the Fractal vibe is blended in with the guitar tone and the Dry Bell sounds like it’s surrounding the guitar tone in a fat layer of swirly goodness. Unless I had a LOT of uni-vibe stuff in a set, I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Fractal one.
The Dry Bell is a great sounding vibe and it’s stuck around with me longer than any other vibe pedal… totally agree the Fractal or even the Helix don’t get there but are very usable if you are going all in the box or just want to use either as your “board”

How’s the FM3 these days as a USB interface? Is it still drifty McDriftalot?
Bored GIF

I think I was told they fixed it but I would never use FAS stuff as an interface.
That's too bad, because the HX Stomp made a great USB interface. I could run a tube amp into a reactive load, then to the Stomp for IR/Effects/LA-2, and it was fantastic. But.......I like the Fractal amp modeling more.

That's too bad, because the HX Stomp made a great USB interface. I could run a tube amp into a reactive load, then to the Stomp for IR/Effects/LA-2, and it was fantastic. But.......I like the Fractal amp modeling more.
You could certainly make it work. I just pick my battles with the FMs and I choose to let it rest on amp modeling over routing/utility box. HX is best for me for that.

If you were okay using the Stomp as an interface, I'd think you'd probably be okay with FM3 (assuming the drift has actually been fixed, which I'm not sure about...I've actually never tried to use my FM3 as an interface, just the III I had for a while.)

Reactions: JT
I’ve only got experience with the III and FM9 as far as using them as an interface, can’t comment on the FM3.

There’s been a couple issues recently where some are getting dropouts with the USB; it happened to me twice two weeks and and hasn’t since, but I also keep my computer on for days at a time and when it goes into Sleep, it often disconnects the USB. Once I restarted everything it never happened again. I’ve seen a few others report the same issue and Fractal is investigating it.

I don’t spend enough time in the FM3 sub to see if others are experiencing issues with it and it might just be the case here that we don’t have any members here that are actually using it via USB.

Reactions: JT
I've always enjoyed a separate audio interface whether that be line 6, fractal, or QC. I just felt more comfortable with it set up that way and a good audio interface can really be had for cheap it seems

I got my 4th FM3 a week ago. Even with the latest firmware, USB audio is still pretty much unusable for me. Even at the lowest possible buffer setting in the DAW, the latency is quite noticeable. It was stated on the FAS forum, that Axe III and FM9 have a different USB architecture than the FM3. And while the USB firmware for the other two devices has already been improved, that‘s unfortunately not the case for the FM3.

So with the FM3 you have the choice between either being plagued by SPDIF synchronization issues (depending on how hassle-free your audio interface handles the switching between internal and external clock) or perceivable USB audio latency. I chose SPDIF although I keep running into unpredictable synchronization issues with my Quantum 2.

I got my 4th FM3 a week ago. Even with the latest firmware, USB audio is still pretty much unusable for me. Even at the lowest possible buffer setting in the DAW, the latency is quite noticeable. It was stated on the FAS forum, that Axe III and FM9 have a different USB architecture than the FM3. And while the USB firmware for the other two devices has already been improved, that‘s unfortunately not the case for the FM3.

So with the FM3 you have the choice between either being plagued by SPDIF synchronization issues (depending on how hassle-free your audio interface handles the switching between internal and external clock) or perceivable USB audio latency. I chose SPDIF although I keep running into unpredictable synchronization issues with my Quantum 2.
Dude, WTF. (Not directed at you, rather at Fractal).

Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 4.20.59 PM.png

"Impressive USB Audio Capabilities" apparently means keeping you on your toes, by dodging and weaving latency? :rofl

(very) Late to this party, but keep in mind that the FM3 is quite a chunky boy. It's bulky enough that pedalboard integration might be a concern when compared to other three-button modelers out there.

I always felt it was intended to be mostly a standalone device.

Last edited:

Is the latency occurring just when re-amping, or getting audio out of the USB into a DAW right out of the gate?

Regardless, that’s a bummer.

Back