FM3 question from someone who’s owned one or two

While I agree that the UI/UX lacks, the FAS stuff has absolutely killed pedal/FX GAS for me.

People talking about sh*tty old off the shelf op-amps from the 70s/80s like they’re some kind of mojo factory is funny, too; IMHO. I’ve got a box full of them in my garage. Some ICs from the era were unique like the BBD delays, etc. But a lot of it is just: LOL.
I disagree. There is something special to them. I’ve played a shit-ton of CE-2’s, CE-2w, other clones, boutique chorus, etc. They all have their own flavors. Analog delays? Even more so. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Perhaps, but not better than the real thing, which I have. I’ve got a Phase 95, a CE-2 clone with the original NOS Panasonic chip, analog delay, and then the Strymons. I think Fractal effects are great, but I still prefer the real thing. Additionally, I much prefer dialing in effects with knobs. It’s annoying in almost any modeler.

While I haven't tried them back to back, I can honestly say I like Fractal's Uni-Vibe as much as the real Fulltone Deja Vibe I had, same goes for their Phase 90 vs my Whirlwind Orange Box.

(Where I can't say I like Fractal models as much as the real thing, is with the amp models, yet/still. I have a lot of fun and get great sounds with them, but still love my Electra Dyne a lot more. But that's probably another discussion.)

This I find interesting. I really like Fractal’s drives, in particular the “Blues OD”/Marshall Bluesbreaker and SD1. Also like them a lot more than L6’s.

Could it be a FM3/FM9 thing, variable input, etc?

Yeah, I’m digging the drives quite a bit. Digging into them quite a bit today running my FM9 into the Deluxe Reverb. One thing I will say though, nearly each one of them requires the Mid/Hi Mid to be lowered (in my case, anyway). They seem to all sound a bit similar until I drop those mids out and then it starts feeling./sounding like a drive pedal and I can hear more differences between them.

Definitely can’t replicate the EJ Fuzz Face or Germanium Dover Drive with it, though.

I’ve got no problems running pedals in front of the FM9 or FM3, get great results stacking physical pedals with drive models, as well.

I can’t get the Vibe in the Fractal to sound like my Dry Bell; best way I can explain it is it sounds like the Fractal vibe is blended in with the guitar tone and the Dry Bell sounds like it’s surrounding the guitar tone in a fat layer of swirly goodness. Unless I had a LOT of uni-vibe stuff in a set, I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Fractal one.

I own both an Axe-Fx 3 and FM3. To me there isn't a huge difference between them in this regard. I honestly can't put my finger on why I don't care for the Fractal drive models and wish I could better define it.

I always had a better time with Line6's drive models. They were easier to set up, the selection while numerically maybe less than Fractal, had a better variety to them and often they replicate individual switches on pedals because Line6 UI system is more flexible than Fractal's more generic approach.

Fractal's "here's every Tube Screamer ever made" is pointless fluff and just basically something they can crank out by editing an existing model to appease the "I need everything ever made" crowd. This is just speculation, but I expect Cliff isn't a huge fan of pedals overall but prefers rack effects and amps so most of the focus has been on those.

I should add: I only use drive pedals (modelled or real) to boost an already dirty amp and add a small amount of gain. So I'm never running a clean amp and getting all my dirt from a pedal.

I can’t get the Vibe in the Fractal to sound like my Dry Bell; best way I can explain it is it sounds like the Fractal vibe is blended in with the guitar tone and the Dry Bell sounds like it’s surrounding the guitar tone in a fat layer of swirly goodness. Unless I had a LOT of uni-vibe stuff in a set, I wouldn’t hesitate to use the Fractal one.

Yes, I'm mainly an LP guy and only break out the Strat and U-Vibe occasionally at home, and for a couple songs at gigs. So I'm far from a vibe connoisseur/aficionado (paging @la szum ) and it's not my main sound at all. That being said, I do really enjoy the Fractal Uni-Vibe just as much as I did the Fulltone when I had it.

It’s the tweaking that irritates the s**t out of me. I can deal with it with amp models, but it gets excessive with effects.

I need a dunce mode on the fractal that just lets me tweak with the A through E knobs. Like a super simple ideal page.

I need a dunce mode on the fractal that just lets me tweak with the A through E knobs. Like a super simple ideal page.
It’s got the basic mode on at least the amp models, but in basic mode they don’t always sound the way I want them to, and in the case of the Mesa amps, don’t sound like the actual amps do.

Which is pretty much why I own an Axe-Fx 3 and this too:

View attachment 3178

This is my MIDI controllable pedalboard. It's meant to sit on top of something instead of on the floor and is controlled wirelessly by a XSonic Airstep pair. Under the board is a CME WIDI Jack for wireless MIDI, Strymon Conduit for controlling various pedals and a Morningstar ML5 loop switcher (which I might remove now that I can just use mostly the Strymons). Powered by CIOKS DC7 and 4. GigRig Wetter Box is for running Nightsky/Volante in parallel. Amp 1 ME goes to my 4x10 cab and is also MIDI controlled.

Only thing missing here is some sort of display so I can keep track of what presets are on as some of the Strymons don't have any good indicator for this. With Strymon having revealed in a Reddit AMA that they are making a new Nixie software editor, I'm hoping I can run that on something like a Raspberry PI and put a small touchscreen in that blank spot for this. If not, I might develop my own control software if I have the time and will.
Those Amp1 ME’s sound awesome.

Curious does the Fractal not have nearly every pedal one might need ?
why would one require an external one ???, beside obviously an expression pedal
Just because a device has every pedal one might need, doesn't mean it's version of said pedal doesn't sound like shit.

It’s not that they sound like s**t, I just like MY pedalboard, you know? I put a lot of thought into what I’ve put on there.
Totally. Loads of reasons. Just wanted to point out for those that don't have a lot of experience with a lot of different stuff that . . . Just because a device is top tier and has everything doesn't mean everyone will like everything in it. Or won't have other preferences.

It’s not that they sound like s**t, I just like MY pedalboard, you know? I put a lot of thought into what I’ve put on there.

It's funny, but I've been able to let go of every pedal on my (admittedly small) board except the Keely Fuzz Head. That pedal just does things that nothing in the FM9 can do, and I don't seem to be able to go without it. I think if Fractal ever modelled it, I'd probably be happy, but the likelihood of that is zero.

(In truth, I use very little effects at all and even having an FM9 is completely and total overkill. So it's not like I'm having to learn to go without all these crazy effects.)

But I totally get just loving the actual pedals on you board. Digital versions are not the same, for sure (however I've found that some can be equally enjoyable).

Last edited:
Totally. Loads of reasons. Just wanted to point out for those that don't have a lot of experience with a lot of different stuff that . . . Just because a device is top tier and has everything doesn't mean everyone will like everything in it. Or won't have other preferences.
workaholics fer sure GIF

It's funny, but I've been able to let go of every pedal on my (admittedly small) board except the Keely Fuzz Head. That pedal just does things that nothing in the FM9 can do, and I don't seem to be able to go without it. I think if Fractal ever modelled it, I'd probably be happy, but the likelihood of that is zero. In truth, I use very little effects at all and even having an FM9 is completely and total overkill. So it's not like I'm having to learn to go without all these crazy effects.

But I totally get just loving the actual pedals on you board. Digital versions are not the same, for sure (however I've found that some can be equally enjoyable).

Yep, I spent some time yesterday trying to recreate the germanium Dover Drive and it just ain’t happening, it’s very similar to a Fuzz Face. In a way, I don’t mind that. I dig that there’s some gear out there unique enough that it can’t be replicated……I just want 4 backups in case that pedal ever dies!

I bought a Strymon Compadre recently and it's got a boost with nothing more than a 3-way EQ switch, gain knob and a clean vs overdrive toggle switch. I was able to get sounds out of it that I enjoyed more than what I dialed from the Fractal Drive block. The Axe-Fx 3 amp models responded to the pedal beautifully.

I’ve been wanting to add a compressor to my board, and am thinking of getting the Compadre (again) versus something like the Cali 76, specifically for the boost options. It’s deceptively good as a boost/overdrive with very little futzing around required.

If they ever did a V2 of it, I think a low cut option would be great for the clipping mode.

I’ve been wanting to add a compressor to my board, and am thinking of getting the Compadre (again) versus something like the Cali 76, specifically for the boost options. It’s deceptively good as a boost/overdrive with very little futzing around required.

If they ever did a V2 of it, I think a low cut option would be great for the clipping mode.
I'd probably add a tone knob for the boost as low end is not a problem but treble adjustment would be nice.

Back