FM3 question from someone who’s owned one or two

I'd probably add a tone knob for the boost as low end is not a problem but treble adjustment would be nice.

I can’t remember offhand from the first time I owned it several years ago if the mid boost option rolled off any low end. (Similar to a TS style drive) I do recall buying it for the compressor and being pretty impressed with the boost/drive section, both as a clean boost and even with an already high gain tone where your looking for that mid hump and level boost.

I wonder if they will give it the V2 treatment. I’d assume so if it’s going to stay in their catalog.

I’ve been wanting to add a compressor to my board, and am thinking of getting the Compadre (again) versus something like the Cali 76, specifically for the boost options. It’s deceptively good as a boost/overdrive with very little futzing around required.

If they ever did a V2 of it, I think a low cut option would be great for the clipping mode.

I believe the Phil Collen preset Fractal put out revealed that Phil uses a Comp as a boost for leads
in front of the Amp. I was surprised to see no Drive. Just a Comp.

I believe the Phil Collen preset Fractal put out revealed that Phil uses a Comp as a boost for leads
in front of the Amp. I was surprised to see no Drive. Just a Comp.

Timmons uses a comp as a boost for his lonestar clean channel, and it sounds really nice. I added one to my main preset a few months ago, it’s a mainstay for me now. Just a little extra volume and a touch of compression but it Is one of the most effective boosts I’ve ever used as long as I’m ok with a more compressed dynamic range.

D

I can’t remember offhand from the first time I owned it several years ago if the mid boost option rolled off any low end. (Similar to a TS style drive) I do recall buying it for the compressor and being pretty impressed with the boost/drive section, both as a clean boost and even with an already high gain tone where your looking for that mid hump and level boost.

I wonder if they will give it the V2 treatment. I’d assume so if it’s going to stay in their catalog.
Yeah I also got it for the compressor but really like the boost section in all its simplicity.

I don't think a V2 is coming for this because it's analog with digital control and already supports MIDI control like the Sunset, Riverside and V2 pedals.

Fractal does great for reverbs, delays and modulation but it's a shame it doesn't support something similar to Helix where you could dedicate all that DSP to effects if you just leave out the Amp block. I think that would add extra value to it as an fx only box because that might be exactly the difference for letting you bring in say pitch shifting to your otherwise tightly packed preset.
I've got to be misunderstanding: are you saying that you can't build an FM3 preset with no amp block in it? That sounds crazy.

I am with @laxu as far as it would be nice to be able to free up those resources.
Yeah but it's not really much of an issue as you can still create pretty decent signal chains as is, especially with the channels feature whereas on say a HX Stomp you'd need to allocate some fx slots and CPU for say an alternative delay block. Let's say song A uses tape delay and song B uses analog delay, HX Stomp needs two blocks while Fractal can just swap between those by swapping channels on the same block. Pros and cons as always.

MY DAD IS UGANDAN
Alas, the appropriate Steve Martin meme features a word I never, ever use.

steve-martin-the-jerk.gif

FM3 is a pretty awesome little unit. I used it with a few pedals and it was great. I just wish the unit had more built in switches. 6 on that unit would have been perfect. I hate adding extra switches, it makes me bitches.

Is $825 a good price for an FM3? I was surprised to see one pop up locally, not common in my neck of the woods at all. I definitely don't need another amp or modeler but I've never tried anything Fractal before so I'm kind of curious.

Is $825 a good price for an FM3? I was surprised to see one pop up locally, not common in my neck of the woods at all. I definitely don't need another amp or modeler but I've never tried anything Fractal before so I'm kind of curious.
That‘s a great deal! Grab it as long as it‘s still available, you won‘t regret it.

Yeah man! Great deal!!! The lowest I’ve seen one so far has been $800.

Yeah, that's definitely low enough that if you decide to flip, you truly will break even/make a few bucks.

Back