FM3 as audio interface?

You dont know the half of it. 6 month old chihuahua pup got sick on Christmas Day. I had family coming over for dinner in 48 hours. We spent the entire next day in the animal hospital, 9 hours. Got the bloodwork back and the bad news (we had previous bad news a few weeks prior, heart problem and knew the situation was grave). The dog died in my wife’s arms the next morning. We spent the morning driving up to the pet cemetery with him to have him cremated. Went to bed and stayed there for the next 2 days. Didn’t eat, didnt shower, just binge watched Sopranos and cried a lot. We still miss him terribly. Worst holiday season ever. Cancelled my Christmas dinner, my brother and daughter were coming over. Even gifts, who cares. I told my wife the gift I want is his medical bill so she paid that. Thats what I got for Christmas this year. If I cant have my dog I dont want anything. We had a war chest ready to go (our vacation account) in case he needed a procedure but his heart was so bad there was no saving this dog.
Man, I'm sorry. That's awful.

You dont know the half of it. 6 month old chihuahua pup got sick on Christmas Day. I had family coming over for dinner in 48 hours. We spent the entire next day in the animal hospital, 9 hours. Got the bloodwork back and the bad news (we had previous bad news a few weeks prior, heart problem and knew the situation was grave). The dog died in my wife’s arms the next morning. We spent the morning driving up to the pet cemetery with him to have him cremated. Went to bed and stayed there for the next 2 days. Didn’t eat, didnt shower, just binge watched Sopranos and cried a lot. We still miss him terribly. Worst holiday season ever. Cancelled my Christmas dinner, my brother and daughter were coming over. Even gifts, who cares. I told my wife the gift I want is his medical bill so she paid that. Thats what I got for Christmas this year. If I cant have my dog I dont want anything. We had a war chest ready to go (our vacation account) in case he needed a procedure but his heart was so bad there was no saving this dog.

Sending care ❤️ My dog had a stroke on Christmas as well, and died in arms a couple days later. It sucks especially this time of year. Really sorry you went through that. Wishing you all the best.

Since some people are mentioning the Behringer interfaces, it’s worth mentioning that while they have much better measured RTL than the FM3 and Stomp etc, according to the Gearspace thread previously linked to they also misreport latency by an average of around 100 samples (2~ ms at 48kHz), so you may want to manually adjust in that case too.

I am so sorry to read this , That’s a very tough thing to deal with , especially during the holidays
My condolences

Axe FX III + Behringer

qI4b8D.gif

I kid, whatever gets the job done!

The crown jewel of Beringher's AI line is, IMHO, the U-Phoria UMC202. A dual channel 24-Bit/192 kHz interface which runs circles around the likes of Focusrite Scarletts... and can be regulalry found for less than US$100.

This is not my area of expertise. In what way is it better than the Scarlett? I'll gladly switch if it will make a real difference.

This is not my area of expertise. In what way is it better than the Scarlett? I'll gladly switch if it will make a real difference.

It's about 50% cheaper than any equivalent offering from Focusrite, and has better specs to boot - much wider frequency response (up to -3db at 50kHz!) and a ridiculously low noise floor of -129 dBA, which is unheard of at this price range. Behringer gets a lot of well deserved flak in these forums, but their audio interfaces are surprisingly good quality. Those Midas preamps live up to the hype they're selling.

Oh, it's also fully USB Class Compliant, so the UMC202HD will work without drivers on any computer/OS out there. There are drivers available though, allowing to fine tune parameters.

Here's an excellent, in depth review by a guy who compares interfaces, and knows what he's talking about:

Having said that, there's zero value on switching from a Scarlett if you already own one. At best, they'll record/sound the exact same, and at worse, any difference will be marginal to begin with.

Last edited:
It's about 50% cheaper than any equivalent offering from Focusrite, and it has better specs to boot - much wider frequency response (up to -3db at 50kHz!) and a ridiculously low noise floor of -129 dBA, which is unheard of at this price range. Behringer gets a lot of well deserved flak in these forums, but their audio interfaces are surprisingly good quality. Those Midas preamps live up to the hype they sell.

Oh, it's also fully USB Class Compliant, so the UMC202HD will work without drivers on any computer/OS out there. There are drivers available though, allowing to fine tune parameters.

Here's an excellent, in depth review by a guy who compares interfaces, and knows what he's talking about:

Having said that, there's zero value on switching from a Scarlett if you already own one. At best, they'll record/sound the exact same, and at worse, any difference will be marginal to begin with.

How do you use that with an amp modeler? It doesn't have spdif input.

It's about 50% cheaper than any equivalent offering from Focusrite, and has better specs to boot - much wider frequency response (up to -3db at 50kHz!) and a ridiculously low noise floor of -129 dBA, which is unheard of at this price range. Behringer gets a lot of well deserved flak in these forums, but their audio interfaces are surprisingly good quality. Those Midas preamps live up to the hype they're selling.

Thanks, that's helpful. My needs aren't super critical. I'll be using an AI primarily for songwriting, not production.

How do you use that with an amp modeler? It doesn't have spdif input.

If you want to use S/PDIF, you likely don't need any hardware to begin with - let alone an audio interface. Even mid-tier motherboards these days come with S/PDIF inputs. Worst case scenario, for modelers with digital out you'll just need an external USB converter/soundcard, and those can be found as cheap as $25.

I use my UMC202HD to plug directly from my guitar into Helix Native.

If you want to use S/PDIF, you likely don't need any hardware to begin with - let alone an audio interface. Even mid-tier motherboards these days come with S/PDIF inputs. Worst case scenario, for modelers with digital out you'll just need an external USB converter/soundcard, and those can be found as cheap as $25.

I use my UMC202HD to plug directly from my guitar into Helix Native.
Sorry, I meant a hardware amp modeler, like a fm3. Or do you use it for software amp modelers?

Sorry, I meant a hardware amp modeler, like a fm3. Or do you use it for software amp modelers?

I use it for plugins, and occasionally embarrassing myself singing through a microphone. I did record a FM3 with it back in the day, though, and it sounded stellar.

Quick side update:

I recently got my HX Stomp. I just reamped a track (with the latency high) and guess what, I didn't have to do any realigning, the reamped tracks where right on the grid! For some reason it looks like Line 6 has this down.

Quick side update:

I recently got my HX Stomp. I just reamped a track (with the latency high) and guess what, I didn't have to do any realigning, the reamped tracks where right on the grid! For some reason it looks like Line 6 has this down.
Do you notice any difference in the latency between the FM3 and the HX Stomp - I'm talking unit latency (FM3 latency is approx 3ms and HX stomp i think is 1.8ms) not offset recording latency.

The only reason I ask is having using nothing but the Friedman IRX for months - I went back to the amp models in the FM3 it definitively felt different which I thought might be due to the unit latency

Back