First guitar amp/fx modeler?

fretworn

Rock Star
For me …

gt_8_top_main.jpg

Sound samples at link.

Last edited:
Technically it was my uncles Digitech 2101. It’s the first non-practice amp thing I ever played through and I used it for a couple years in high school while he was in the army. Man, I made that thing sound terrible. Ran it into the inputs of two Fender combos, I’ve got some old band practices on VHS, it sounds bad. 🤣

He also had an Alesis Quadraverb GT that I used a bunch.

After that it was tube amps until I eventually got a Line 6 Guitar Port and marveled over being able to plug my guitar into a computer.

I got a Digitech RP-1 when they came out in 92 or 93, I forget which. Still have it, and it still works fine :)

EDIT: Ok, this thing isn't really as modeler in any sense of the word, it's just a multi-effects unit, so I guess it doesn't count. Still sounds decent though :)

Last edited:
images

There was a patch with a step Phaser or Flanger on here that I got obsessed with very early on playing guitar. One of the main reasons I stuck with guitar. I remember using the tuner to teach myself the notes in the chromatic scale and then I hammered the metronome on it for years after seeing Intense Rock on VHS.

images

There was a patch with a step Phaser or Flanger on here that I got obsessed with very early on playing guitar. One of the main reasons I stuck with guitar. I remember using the tuner to teach myself the notes in the chromatic scale and then I hammered the metronome on it for years after seeing Intense Rock on VHS.
I started on this bad boy (Zoom 3030), and did “ambient” tones the old fashioned way (via the expression pedal). I thought I was the shit.

6E682F39-F8F3-4E56-9CA2-1D3AA18FB950.jpeg

ZOOM 505 II first.
After that I used a Metal zone into a no name 1x8 combo.
Then Peavey Bandit Red Stripe which I still own, now it's cut to a Head, excellent amp, a real life saver.
BOSS GT-10
Peavey ValveKing gutted and modified to my spec + Framus 2x12 with V30s.
Helix Floor.

IMG_2823-2-768x1024.jpg

It gets a little fuzzy trying to sort out which devices actually had amp modeling back then, as opposed to a distortion effect or three. What with "amp modeling" being pretty much indistinguishable from digital distortion at the time. Probably my earliest digital guitar MFX was an Alesis Quadraverb GT (back when owning a digital reverb unit of any kind was a really big deal for a kid on my budget.) Then I used a friend's Korg A3 for a while, a Digitech something-or-other (RP3?), then a parade of BOSS stuff (GT-3 and/or 5 and/or 8...)

And then onto the Line 6 train. POD 2.0 was a big leap forward from GT at the time, in terms of amp sounds (if also a big step back in terms of programmability, assigns, etc.) Moved on to a POD Pro rack, then Vetta. Struggled with Vetta enough to wind up back with tube amps for a few years, and then the Roland GR-55 lured me back to digital, with its promise of "everything in one box". Everything including a bunch of headaches, it turned out.

Last edited:
It gets a little fuzzy trying to sort out which devices actually had amp modeling back then, as opposed to a distortion effect or three. What with "amp modeling" being pretty much indistinguishable from digital distortion at the time. Probably my earliest digital guitar MFX was an Alesis Quadraverb GT (back when owning a digital reverb unit of any kind was a really big deal for a kid on my budget.) Then I used a friend's Korg A3 for a while, a Digitech something-or-other (RP3?), then a parade of BOSS stuff (GT-3 and/or 5 and/or 8...)

And then onto the Line 6 train. POD 2.0 was a big leap forward from GT at the time, in terms of amp sounds (if also a big step back in terms of programmability, assigns, etc.) Moved on to a POD Pro rack, then Vetta. Struggled with Vetta enough to wind up back with tube amps for a few years, and then the Roland GR-55 lured me back to digital, with its promise of "everything in one box". Everything including a bunch of headaches, it turned out.
Yes. I forgot this was the first multi-fx unit I had. I don't think it had modeling but it has been so long. Obviously; I bought it for the color :satan
Vintage-1998-DigiTech-RP3-jaune-guitare-Processeur-Signal.jpg

Yes. I forgot this was the first multi-fx unit I had. I don't think it had modeling but it has been so long. Obviously; I bought it for the color :satan
Vintage-1998-DigiTech-RP3-jaune-guitare-Processeur-Signal.jpg
That's the one, yeah. Although I'm suddenly unable to remember whether I ever actually owned one, or maybe just borrowed it for a while... Don't get old, kids.

I'm a sucker for anything yellow. We used to categorize cars and motorcycles as "ticket me red" vs. "arrest me yellow". :D

That's the one, yeah. Although I'm suddenly unable to remember whether I ever actually owned one, or maybe just borrowed it for a while... Don't get old, kids.

I'm a sucker for anything yellow. We used to categorize cars and motorcycles as "ticket me red" vs. "arrest me yellow". :D
Oh that's too funny! I didn't see the part about you using one too! I had the yellow Gibby V at the time and it was a perfect match visually :love

Oh that's too funny! I didn't see the part about you using one too! I had the yellow Gibby V at the time and it was a perfect match visually :love
Now that I'm thinking about it a little more, I ran through a whole bunch of minor distractions around the POD 2.0 timeframe. VOX Valvetronix, Yamaha DG... who knows what else? Not to mention the VSTs. But I guess that's not what the OP was asking. :)

Back