Everyone FEARED Yngwie! | Hear ‘N Aid 1986

It’s not about who anybody enjoys listening to more, it’s about how their emergence caused dramatic shifts in the guitar playing world. Satch and Vai are incredible players, but neither one of them was a pioneer in a completely new style or technique. They built on the trend that started with Eddie, much like so many in the sixties and seventies built on what Clapton and Hendrix started.

Satch brought guitar driven instrumental music to the Top 100 Charts for the first
time since the era of The Ventures and the likes of Duane Eddy (not actually true).
That was massive!

And he did it with multiple Songs and Albums. :idk

Last edited:
Satch brought guitar driven instrumental music to the Top 100 Charts for the first
time since the era of The Ventures and the likes of Duane Eddy. That was massive!

Reached #4.
Blow_by_blow.jpg

time since the era of The Ventures and the likes of Duane Eddy. That was massive!

And he did it with multiple Songs and Albums. :idk
Actually Jeff Beck says hold my beer...
Blow By Blow 1975 #4
Jeff Beck w. Jan Hammer Group Live 77 #93
There And Back in 1980 #21
Flash in 85 #39

I knew I'd miss something, and be alerted to that fact lickety split. :beer

Primary point still stands, though. You can even tell Gerry Rafferty and Herb Alpert for all I care. :grin

Last edited:
It’s not about who anybody enjoys listening to more, it’s about how their emergence caused dramatic shifts in the guitar playing world. Satch and Vai are incredible players, but neither one of them was a pioneer in a completely new style or technique. They built on the trend that started with Eddie, much like so many in the sixties and seventies built on what Clapton and Hendrix started.
While it's true Eddie was a pioneer, Satch and Vai pioneered a different kind of movement (which was certainly a branch connected to what Eddie was doing) that presented the guitar in a more front and center context, vocalizing the instrument in a way that replaced the singer. But they also had/have serious chops that were very different and fresh at the time. Beck definitely helped lay the foundation for that kind of style, whereas I think Eddie was more influential to bands with a singer. They're all pioneers imo, just to different people and in different ways.

While it's true Eddie was a pioneer, Satch and Vai pioneered a different kind of movement (which was certainly a branch connected to what Eddie was doing) that presented the guitar in a more front and center context, vocalizing the instrument in a way that replaced the singer. But they also had/have serious chops that were very different and fresh at the time. Beck definitely helped lay the foundation for that kind of style, whereas I think Eddie was more influential to bands with a singer. They're all pioneers imo, just to different people and in different ways.

Great post! I'd also suggest Satch and Vai introduced more exotic melodic and harmonic content to
a wider audience, that was not always present in the Pentatonic spaces explored previously. :idk

First time I heard Yngwie was on the Steeler album with his little Am acoustic shred intro, then he was in Alcatraz with Graham bonnet's attempts at vocals. Then Rising force came out and everything sounded similar from then on.........

Agreed innovative and amazing BUT I'd rather listen to Vinnie Moore all day long due to his use of more than one mode. :rawk
On to Hearing Aid, Viv and Ronnie put that together. at the time we had no idea those two were 100% on the outs. Vocally i still love what they put together. Paul Shortino, Geoff, Rob and Dave Meniketti really brought it! Ted Nug and Vince Neil go to sit out with Blackie Lawless lol!

As for the guitar players, all pretty cool, Cavazos could have sat out. Viv Lynch did great and the Maiden boys added a little harmony! Yngwie got his moment too! As fans when that came out we loved it all!

On to Hearing Aid, Viv and Ronnie put that together. at the time we had no idea those two were 100% on the outs. Vocally i still love what they put together. Paul Shortino, Geoff, Rob and Dave Meniketti really brought it! Ted Nug and Vince Neil go to sit out with Blackie Lawless lol!

As for the guitar players, all pretty cool, Cavazos could have sat out. Viv Lynch did great and the Maiden boys added a little harmony! Yngwie got his moment too! As fans when that came out we loved it all!
Vivian and Jimmy Bain put it together and then convinced Ronnie to put his name on the project and write the lyrics and vocal melody.

One of my favorite soloists on there is Buck Dharma, who I was totally unfamiliar with when it came out.

Vivian and Jimmy Bain put it together and then convinced Ronnie to put his name on the project and write the lyrics and vocal melody.

One of my favorite soloists on there is Buck Dharma, who I was totally unfamiliar with when it came out.

Buck is one of the tastiest players ever.

I did not know that but it makes sense. Sounds like they wrote it in 12 seconds. The solo Buck did was uber simple blues licks and stood in contrast to the shred solos, but at least he was true to his style and did not try to shred.

I did not know that but it makes sense. Sounds like they wrote it in 12 seconds. The solo Buck did was uber simple blues licks and stood in contrast to the shred solos, but at least he was true to his style and did not try to shred.

I think you’re giving them too much credit with the 12 seconds. :rofl

Kinda made for the perfect bed track for this, though. It’d be a lot harder for each guest to shine if they had a busier track to work with.

Back