Ever Been Playing A Cover For Many Years, WRONG?

Probably botched most songs I tried, especially when I was younger.

For example Stone Temple Pilot's "Dead and Bloated", I assumed was in drop D when it was actually still E standard (well the bass is in drop D).

Also not really knowing or understanding that some songs were in alternate tunings.

I think everyone plays that wrong. I half-learned it about the same year as you. :beer

The drums and guitar do not really sync up on the 1. It's tricky... so it seems fudging it is
par for the course. :idk

That's the intro.
I've learned the main riff wrong. Lol

Chord/rhythm/melody errors are one category of "wrong," but misheard lyrics can be hilarious. So hilarious (and pervasive) that a term - "mondegreens" - has been coined for them.

Examples:

"There's a bathroom on the right." Bad Moon Rising by Creedence.

"'Scuse me while I kiss this guy." Purple Haze by Jimi.

I played in a cover band with a steady, weekly house gig (three nights a week). We were constantly adding new songs to keep the regulars (and us) from getting bored, so I was learning three or four new songs per week. This band didn’t rehearse, either, we would agree on the new songs to add Saturday night after finishing up, then rough them out onstage Thursday when the place wasn’t busy, and have them good to go for Friday and Saturday. “Close enough for Rock & Roll” was the order of the day.

Back