Ever Been Playing A Cover For Many Years, WRONG?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
I got 2, right off the top of my head:

Type Living Colour- The opening riff has a G that leads back into the main riff. But it's on the "a" of 4, which gives it swing, yet when we played it, I always played it on 1. D'OH! And it's SO obvious! (Just now caught this one.)

And this one, I did fix long ago, but when I first learned it, I had it wrong: Jenny 867-5309

I used to not play that Eb near the end of the main riff. I "think" I just doubled the E's, but once I finally heard that Eb, it was like, OH YES! That's how it's supposed to sound!

Got any?

When I was a teen I learned everything by ear and DGAF. Later after joining actual cover bands, I figured I had measures 5 and 6 of the Crazy Train intro riff jumbled.

My son tells me I don't play the Chorus to Master of Puppets correctly but I honestly like the way I play it better - arpeggiated notes instead of that slide to C or whatever it is.

Bill Murray Movie GIF by filmeditor

I really never strive for 100% accuracy. Tempo, groove, primary chord progressions, melody, iconic
licks in a solo or intro.... actual lyrics, these are all necessary. The rest? Have some fun. Spread your
wings. Explore a little. Make it your own. We aren't as good at being those people as those people
are at being those people anyways. :LOL:

But yeah, glaring errors will gnaw at you. My biggest gripe in playing a song incorrectly is when
dudes learn it in the wrong key.... or don't tune down to say, Eb, and then they will play a 6th fret
Power Chord on the A string and wonder why they can't pedal tone on the low E. Hmmm....????

I really never strive for 100% accuracy. Tempo, groove, primary chord progressions, melody, iconic
licks in a solo or intro.... actual lyrics, these are all necessary. The rest? Have some fun. Spread your
wings. Explore a little. Make it your own.
Yeah. But that's not really what I meant. Like, we used to play a Loverboy song, and literally had one chord wrong. I happened to notice it while listening to the song on the radio, and heard the chord change to one a half-step lower, and I knew right then we were playing the preceding chord wrong. :facepalm

Probably. I learn a song and if I am playing it kind of frequently, I don't revisit it. I am sure that I put some of myself into it over time and change it from the original.

Oh yeah I did!

I've played Led Zeppelin's Rock and roll wrong for 26 years.

I've learned the riff by ear wrong in 1987, when I was 14, and played it wrong hundred of times on stage since I've joined my first 2 guitars band in 2013, LOL

Oh yeah I did!

I've played Led Zeppelin's Rock and roll wrong for 26 years.

I've learned the riff by ear wrong in 1987, when I was 14, and played it wrong hundred of times on stage since I've joined my first 2 guitars band in 2013, LOL

I think everyone plays that wrong. I half-learned it about the same year as you. :beer

The drums and guitar do not really sync up on the 1. It's tricky... so it seems fudging it is
par for the course. :idk

Yeah. But that's not really what I meant. Like, we used to play a Loverboy song, and literally had one chord wrong. I happened to notice it while listening to the song on the radio, and heard the chord change to one a half-step lower, and I knew right then we were playing the preceding chord wrong. :facepalm

Only one chord wrong? That's pretty fucking good! :LOL:

I never played in cover bands, but in the "original" projects in which I participated, when we played a cover it was an interpretation by design. Everything from War Pigs to Wichita Lineman was always through the lens of our original music.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I never played in cover bands, but in the "original" projects in which I participated, when we played a cover it was an interpretation by design. Everything from War Pigs to Wichita Lineman was always through the lens of our original music.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Despite my earlier post in this thread I actually am going to be playing 2 covers this week on a fill in gig, but they're definitely jammed out and being played in the style of the band, not really jukeboxing it at all

Back