Ernie Ball Paradigm vs. Daddario XT?

So ever since I realised that the Ernie Ball Cobalts have a weird flaw when strung up on certain guitars in certain tunings (a whole other discussion tbh; I'd love some insight into that as well but probably not in this thread?), I've been using the Ernie Ball Paradigm (both 10-52 for Drop C and 9-42 for E Standard) strings for a few years now. They're one of the few strings that don't rust out even after a couple of months (or more) of exposure to the elements inside the house. I recently tried out the Daddario XT 9-42 set on my "beater" Ibanez JEM Jr. and was pleasantly surprised. I read up on them, and they seem to have some sort of coating on them, which, from what I could make out, isn't like the Elixirs or the Daddario XS strings. This also seems to be the case apparently with the Ernie Ball Paradigms, which have some sort of treatment that extends their life. Both string sets kinda promise longer life without any/much tonal sacrifice. I was wondering if anyone here has first-hand experience of using both and has any thoughts on the matter?

I've used both and honestly, either is fine. I like the feel a bit more of the EB strings. I used the Paradigms for a couple of years when they first came out. I switched the XT for the last couple of years. I'm now using the EB coated titanium slinkys and they have been really great as well.

I've used both and honestly, either is fine. I like the feel a bit more of the EB strings. I used the Paradigms for a couple of years when they first came out. I switched the XT for the last couple of years. I'm now using the EB coated titanium slinkys and they have been really great as well.
Thanks for chiming in!

Were there any tonal differences you noticed between the Paradigms and the XTs? Also, any difference in the life-span?

Thanks for chiming in!

Were there any tonal differences you noticed between the Paradigms and the XTs? Also, any difference in the life-span?

In all honesty, I am not sure if EB changed up the formula a bit on the Paradigms. They may be better now and I will try them again. Everyone has a different sweat composition. I tend to have more of an acidic sweat. Knowing that, I found that the Paradigms got a bit stickier after a couple of weeks, not necessarily dead but just didn't have the same feel to them. Again, that was my result and others will be different for sure. I usually always change strings every couple of weeks because we have regular rehearsals and fairly regular gigs but I am also doing a house band thing bi-weekly with my bassist and drummer which keeps us motoring along.

The XTs seemed to be quite a bit better with regards to that issue. However, I found they would drop off a bit quicker than the Paradigms would at the higher end. Not a lot but I did notice.

I picked up 3 new guitars over the summer and sold off my 6 that I had. Since that time, I've been using the EB Titaniums on all 3 guitars. The tuning stability has been outstanding. One of them has had them on for over a month with multiple gigs and rehearsals on it. It is just now starting to fade a bit BUT....the slickness is still there in the strings. The other two still sound like the day I put them on.

I always wipe the necks down after playing to try and keep any corrosion to a minimum.
The great thing about strings is that they are cheap enough that you can try different things and see what works for you without breaking the bank.

Paradigm and NYXL are pretty much the same thing and both better than coated because they don’t sound coated. I get about a year out of them but I don’t sweat acid or break strings much.

Paradigm and NYXL are pretty much the same thing and both better than coated because they don’t sound coated. I get about a year out of them but I don’t sweat acid or break strings much.
I was told by a Daddario employee once that NYXL is more akin to Cobalts. Paradigm is its own thing apparently where the metal is treated. NYCL and Cobalt are “special” alloys.

I was told by a Daddario employee once that NYXL is more akin to Cobalts. Paradigm is its own thing apparently where the metal is treated. NYCL and Cobalt are “special” alloys.

Hmm… from a practical perspective NYXL definitely seem more similar to Paradigm when I play them.

I hate Cobalts and NYXL don’t feel or sound anything like them to me

Was nearly all in on Paradigms, and still love them but will agree with @Eagle that they are damn near indistinguishable from NYXL.

Don't have much of a sample size yet, but it does seem that NYXL settle in quicker. I set up a trem guitar super fast with NYXL recently.

Unfortunately Stringjoy isn’t an option here in India! I’d have loved to have crafted a set of my own.
Ah, didn't know you were in India! That's cool. Love seeing people from all over the world playing geetar.
No friggin' way. NYXL's (and Paradigms) are way better than Cobalts. Cobalts feel dead out of the package to me.

Ah, didn't know you were in India! That's cool. Love seeing people from all over the world playing geetar.

No friggin' way. NYXL's (and Paradigms) are way better than Cobalts. Cobalts feel dead out of the package to me.
Cobalt’s feel rough to me as well and I don’t like the tone either.

I live in Louisiana where we have basically tropical humidity year round and I've had Paradigm sets last up to two years on my guitar

Never even made it 6 months with a set of NYXL (which were my main strings before I tried Paradigms)
I get about a year out of either and they sound the same ( good IMO.)

Condoms for guitar strings?

No Thank You GIF by The Dungeon Run

Raw dogging it here, and then wiping them strings down when I'm done. :beer

Back