ENGL Fireball 100... thoughts? (my miraculous amp journey)

I find that easy to believe Zoltan, the Powerball Synergy modules is absolutely amazing, and surprisingly versatile.

Nah, I‘ll just find things I don’t like and send it back. 😉

But seriously, I have a strong feeling that my amp journey has finally ended. The PBII sounds absolutely amazing. Very clear. tight and balanced. And channel 3 is perhaps the best high gain sound I have ever experienced. So far I just couldn‘t find a single flaw with this amp.

Palm muting with ch3 into a 4x12 at band level is an awesome experience.

My beloved Powerball 2 :love

IMG_0969.jpg

What are your impressions of the 4 channels so far?

In the context of my band I loved ch3 and liked ch1 a lot. Wasn't a big fan of ch2. I much preferred ch3 over ch4.

I used mine with the mid boost on all the time and, if I remember correctly, kept the various bright and low boosts switches off.

What are your impressions of the 4 channels so far?

In the context of my band I loved ch3 and liked ch1 a lot. Wasn't a big fan of ch2. I much preferred ch3 over ch4.

I used mine with the mid boost on all the time and, if I remember correctly, kept the various bright and low boosts switches off.
I actually like channel 2. Works really well with the HM-2 emulation in the HX-Stomp for some Swedish Death Metal.
Channel 3 is my main rhythm sound, boosted with the SD-1. For leads the Mid Boost is nice, but I prefer the regular mid frequency for rhythm.
Channel 4 reminds me of the Savage‘s Lead channel. Really tight, sounds best without a boost. A little bit more scooped and dry than channel 3.

Generally I prefer to keep Presence & Depth Punch quite low on the Powerball and turn up Treble and Bass instead (quite the opposite to what I would do on a 5150/6505). Depth Punch seems to add a lot of muddy low mids around 200 Hz and Presence can get very sizzly. The Bottom switch sounds great with channels 1 & 2, but I prefer to leave it off for the two Lead channels.

Last edited:
Do I dare check in and see if the PB2 is still kicking around?
I just acquired a Fireball 60 and am super impressed... I dare not walk the amp path you've gone because I also liked the JVM in the Fractal units... but this ENGL bug might be a problem for my wallet.

Do I dare check in and see if the PB2 is still kicking around?
I just acquired a Fireball 60 and am super impressed... I dare not walk the amp path you've gone because I also liked the JVM in the Fractal units... but this ENGL bug might be a problem for my wallet.
If you have to spend a lot of money even after trading the fireball 60 then I say maybe not worth it. But if you're looking for an ultimate upgrade doesn't matter how much they cost PB2 could be your next amp. I also had the same struggle when I was deciding between JVM and fireball, I went with fireball (and super happy with it) but I wanna buy JVM anyway in some point because they sound very different.

If you have to spend a lot of money even after trading the fireball 60 then I say maybe not worth it. But if you're looking for an ultimate upgrade doesn't matter how much they cost PB2 could be your next amp. I also had the same struggle when I was deciding between JVM and fireball, I went with fireball (and super happy with it) but I wanna buy JVM anyway in some point because they sound very different.
Love the fireball and I think I like it for its simplicity. I've come to learn that amps with tons of options are probably lost on me... dial it in a couple times and stick to those tones... getting a PB or Savage is completely (wonderfully) irrational.... wishlist stuff I guess.

I still passively look at JVM amps coming up second hand... pity theres not an easy/cheap way to test drive this stuff unless a friend owns it. Have to painfully buy first decide later. Besides FAS I dont think theres a JVM sim out there, would jump on that if someone brought it out.

I still passively look at JVM amps coming up second hand... pity theres not an easy/cheap way to test drive this stuff unless a friend owns it. Have to painfully buy first decide later. Besides FAS I dont think theres a JVM sim out there, would jump on that if someone brought it out.
Do you still have a fractal unit? I thought I saw a video of yours where you sold it?

Could be wrong!

Do you still have a fractal unit? I thought I saw a video of yours where you sold it?

Could be wrong!
Yep, FM3 gone.. The ENGL Savage, 5153 and JVM were my top goto amps there.... I've got a 5150iii 50w, 6505+ and now a Fireball 60 here, a JVM 410h is just inevitable at this point :rofl . If NDSP, STL or someone brought out a sim I'd be all over it. Worst case I get the JVM then NAM some tones for my own plugin use

Yep, FM3 gone.. The ENGL Savage, 5153 and JVM were my top goto amps there.... I've got a 5150iii 50w, 6505+ and now a Fireball 60 here, a JVM 410h is just inevitable at this point :rofl . If NDSP, STL or someone brought out a sim I'd be all over it. Worst case I get the JVM then NAM some tones for my own plugin use
You know who has a GREAT JVM? :crazy:love

Back