Drum software w presets ??

GTR37

Shredder
so this is me just being dumb and lazy but I download ML drums and though they sound decent I was a little disappointed that there were no presets

Do anyone know of a simple drum software like a drum machine that is stand alone and has a bunch of patterns and genres that you can jam along with

I will answer my own question but so far Slate and GGD. look promising

I currently own- EZD2, SD3, GGD and Slate. The only one I use is SD3.

You need Kontakt for GGD and running it with the free/light version just gave me too many issues, mainly with the multi-outs not functioning properly. I loved the sounds in it, there are some KILLER snares in there (as well as a snare OFF option which I LOVE, being a huge Portnoy/Carey fan) but the issues were too much for me to deal with. I had a lot of mapping issues as well; even using the Standard mapping, I had to re-map 3/4’s the kits. I got it when it first came out and I’m assuming they’ve added more to it since then, but the lack of EQ on the toms just seemed daft to me. They said their thought was most people have a hard time with kick/snare sounds but like to EQ toms to taste so they left them raw.

EZD2 is GREAT for quick ideas and demo stuff, but you can’t access the raw drum sounds so whatever you want to do EQ-wise is EQ’ing something already EQ’d. That limitation is what made me buy SD3. There are tons of presets that come stock with it for different genres/kits, but the onboard mixer is REALLY damn good. At this point all I do with the drums (after making my own presets) is parallel compression stuff in Logic and I generally have a separate snare verb I automate between tight and “seriously, you want THAT much reverb?” because blast beats don’t sound good with a huge reverb that makes the Black Album snare sound tiny. :ROFLMAO:

Slate just seemed so basic and not enticing to use; I bought it, opened it once or twice and not once since. It was probably the tits when it first came out but with everything else that’s come after, unless you REALLY dig the sounds in it, everything else is a step above, just from a UI standpoint.

I might go for the EZD3 it actually looks pretty cool with the new band mate feature you drag a sound file or Midi file in and it creates a full grooves w several different choices

Just starting to get into checking out some plug-ins have the Helix Native and just might check out some Neural stuff the SLO and Toneking. And I want to check out that Rev C simple knob from Bogren

I still love my AxeFM9 but since I just got a new Mac I figure I will see what out there

Also I know this is probably the wrong place to post
Maybe if there is enough interest we could have a home recording plug in sub forum

I might go for the EZD3 it actually looks pretty cool with the new band mate feature you drag a sound file or Midi file in and it creates a full grooves w several different choices

Just starting to get into checking out some plug-ins have the Helix Native and just might check out some Neural stuff the SLO and Toneking. And I want to check out that Rev C simple knob from Bogren

I still love my AxeFM9 but since I just got a new Mac I figure I will see what out there

Also I know this is probably the wrong place to post
Maybe if there is enough interest we could have a home recording plug in sub forum

I definitely wouldn’t mind a Recording subforum on here because that’s my primary thing these days.

IMO, I’d check out some amp plug-in demos, but I wouldn’t purchase anything up front. I used plug-ins before I got the AxeFX and they got me by, then I checked out the NDSP stuff after getting my AxeFX just to see what the hype was about. They’re certainly great plugins for plugging in and having a workable tone right away, I’d have no problems using those for a travel laptop/demo thing, but overall, I’ll take my Fractal stuff any day over any plug-in.

I haven’t checked out EZD3 yet but it’s hard to go wrong with any Toontrack stuff. GREAT VST’s.

Back