Drop D and Drop C

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all, so was wondering if you guys have a specific guitar tuned to either drop d or drop c
or you adjust your guitars back and forth?, as it does require truss rod adjustment action adjustment and intonation

Cheers
Mike

I setup my gretsch years ago to do qotsa tunes.. but after I got a variax I just use that

10-48 for drop-D and 10-52 for D-standard/drop-C is what I've been using for 20 years, different guitars for each tuning. That said, sometimes when doing overdubs I'll drop the Orville down a whole step without changing gauges, the strings are soooo floppy it's humorous trying not to bend anything out of tune.

10-48 for drop-D and 10-52 for D-standard/drop-C is what I've been using for 20 years, different guitars for each tuning. That said, sometimes when doing overdubs I'll drop the Orville down a whole step without changing gauges, the strings are soooo floppy it's humorous trying not to bend anything out of tune.
Any Suggestions For a delicate drop D drop C ?
Edwards maybe ?

E-MA-135C_WH.jpg

If I gigged, I'd have a guitar ready in that tuning, but only because mine has a floating trem. For playing at home though, I just tune the low E down until it's in tune with the high e, which makes the guitar go a little sharp, but it's close enough, as long as the guitar's in tune with itself. It does affect the setup, but it's so slight it doesn't matter. Nobody but me listening.

And even if I was gigging, I wouldn't bother with putting a heavier string on the low E, because that does require altering the setup, and I'd want to be able to use the same guitar for standard and drop tunings. Just have to be conscientious of not banging the low D so hard it goes sharp.

As for anything lower than standard/dropped D tuning, the virtual capo in the Axe works fine. I would however buy a 7-string if I gigged and did songs that were played on one, even though you can use the VC as a work-around, and do some foot-tapping to bypass it when the song requires playing the parts on the higher strings. I do that now when playing those songs at home, and it actually works really good, I think.

I think a short scale guitar may not have enough string tension. You may want to go with 25.5" so the low strings don't get flubby.
Just go up 1 gauge and you're pretty close to the same tension it would have in standard tuning, vs. D standard. For the low string, to go to drop C, you'd probably want to experiment to deal with how much tension you'd want on that string. I think there's a such thing as 11-54, but on a 24.75" scale guitar, a 54 tuned to C might still be a little loose, depending on your preference.

Or you could just buy an set of 11's for a 7-string, and use the 58 on the 6th string.

Howdy all, so was wondering if you guys have a specific guitar tuned to either drop d or drop c
or you adjust your guitars back and forth?, as it does require truss rod adjustment action adjustment and intonation

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

I kind of do.

For just Drop-D/Drop C# I still stick with the '46 on the bottom (one with a D-Tuner, one an Ibanez Edge Zero with an Ibanez Downshifter).

I have one guitar tuned to D with a D-Tuner for Drop C to do the 'Crue thing. It's got the Curt Mangan Matt Scofield signature set, that might be a '54 on the bottom.

If I want to play low tuned, I have a 7-string with a '60 on the bottom in standard B-E, and a fixed-bridge 8-string with an '84 on the low F# (or E - never play that beast, it's an ornament). The '84 is just about OK for F#, but is flappy down to E.

I keep everything in dropped C#.

My Les Paul is 10-46. That’s on the edge of too light, but for some weird reason I’ve kept the gauges the same as what it came with stock. Next string change I’m going to go with a slightly heavier top. Lowest I’ve gone is C but that’s too flappy. C# is passable.

My Ibby I keep 11-56. She’s thicc and a dream to play. :ROFLMAO:

I don’t think I’d buy a guitar specifically for one tuning, but never say never hanging around this crew. :rofl

Last edited:
I have 11 guitars, 9 of which are tuned to drop C.

10-52 strings in all of them, I prefer the Rotosound 10-52 set as I dig them and they’re maybe $5 a set and I change strings once a month or so, depending on which guitar I’m practicing/tracking with.

Drop D I’d use 10-46 but I’d be irritated at the feel of the 46 after awhile. Drop D is always a shock to me at how easy it is to bend and riff but I don’t like how it responds at the amp section.

For anyone new to this, be aware you’re going to have to file the nut and change intonation.

For the record, if you’re thinking about drop C or lower what I play is mostly riff/power metal ala Crowbar/Down/Khemmis etc

I have 11 guitars, 9 of which are tuned to drop C.

10-52 strings in all of them, I prefer the Rotosound 10-52 set as I dig them and they’re maybe $5 a set and I change strings once a month or so, depending on which guitar I’m practicing/tracking with.

Drop D I’d use 10-46 but I’d be irritated at the feel of the 46 after awhile. Drop D is always a shock to me at how easy it is to bend and riff but I don’t like how it responds at the amp section.

For anyone new to this, be aware you’re going to have to file the nut and change intonation.

For the record, if you’re thinking about drop C or lower what I play is mostly riff/power metal ala Crowbar/Down/Khemmis etc
Exactly why i think it should have its own dedicated Axe :idk

Back