Do You Take Risks With Gear Purchases?

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
Just bought this 1963 Vox AC50 off Reverb for About $700 shipped from Europe for $60.

It's a risk I couldn't pass up.

Is this mental?

That's fraud. It ain't gonna happen.

I see hundreds of those kinds of listings on Reverb these days. Usually originate overseas,
and require Paypal as payment.

It's a scam, Brother. You'll NEVER see that amp.

Made this thread about it with a bunch of fraudulent listings from Reverb.

Yep, I searched for the same photos and didn't find them.

Not exactly expecting to get the amp but the circumstances seemed possible. Other than the shipping price.

Yikes. I haven’t been doing enough shopping to notice those scams are so prevalent now…

That's fraud. It ain't gonna happen.

I see hundreds of those kinds of listings on Reverb these days. Usually originate overseas,
and require Paypal as payment.

It's a scam, Brother. You'll NEVER see that amp.
Reverb, from my experience has strict rules on releasing funds to sellers.

Reverb, from my experience has strict rules on releasing funds to sellers.

Not when using Paypal. That's why the scammers usually have that as the only
method/form of payment for their fraudulent listings.

Just saw this. Like I said, scam listings by the hundreds a day. Literally!

1667007550171.png

I once had the chance to buy a Slash sig AFD100 Marshall for $1,750. Fell asleep before the seller replied. He needed the money fast and sold to his opening asking price of $1,700. I was bummed. Sometimes people need the cash quick.

Been chatting with this seller this morning. He wanted $30 more for shipping to the USA. Reasonable. He refunded the $$ adjusted the sale price by $37 (whatever) and I paid again.

The amp is missing the grill but has mullard and other vintage tubes so we will see.

It may turn out to be just an ok deal.

The guy is obviously a tube head from our conversation.

Finger are crossed it will arrive. Obviously my money's betting on it!

Screenshot_20221029_085846.jpg

A week ago, I would have said I take zero risks with gear purchases, but apparently, shipping with FedEx is as risky as it gets...

My amp guy says it looks like it fell from 10-12ft and landed flat on its face. Everything stopped when it hit the ground except the voice coils, which punched right through the cones. Wasn't the most expensive piece of gear I've purchased, but it was close. Pretty much worthless at this point...

A week ago, I would have said I take zero risks with gear purchases, but apparently, shipping with FedEx is as risky as it gets...

My amp guy says it looks like it fell from 10-12ft and landed flat on its face. Everything stopped when it hit the ground except the voice coils, which punched right through the cones. Wasn't the most expensive piece of gear I've purchased, but it was close. Pretty much worthless at this point...
Man, that’s just painful to look at.

Are you trying to recoup costs from FedEx for the damage, or what? I’m guessing that’s a lengthy and painful process.

It sucks man. It was insured and I'm trying to file a claim, but wouldn't you know it, the FedEx claims website isn't currently operational. :mad:

I swear the universe is trying to tell me to give up on Marshalls.

1667221124736.png

The only reason why I actually consider extremely low priced gear is because I was dumb enough to sell a Mesa Studio Pre for $125 back in the late 90’s. Granted, people are doing better at researching prices and lately, shoot way high, but it still happens. What bummed me out was when pawn shop owners learned how to use the internet.

And when I lived in South Shore Mass, cheap gear would pop up all the time, unfortunately, it was generally because an addict was funding a fix.

Back