Do Something - Season Two - Week thrEEE!

Had the first line and the acoustic part, fighting off a cold. Messing around with tone match on acoustic guitar and tried to make a mid-side setup with 3 IR's and phase inverting the side ones, but it is giving significant volume differences. Gonna have to research that. Also gotta pick that tempo up - ironically

Last edited:
Had the first line and the acoustic part, fighting off a cold. Messing around with tone match on acoustic guitar and tried to make a mid-side setup with 3 IR's and phase inverting the side ones, but it is giving significant volume differences. Gonna have to research that. Also gotta pick that tempo up - ironically

Sounds good! Why do you want to pick up the pace? I think for this song and it's lyrics, it is the perfect pace!

Thoroughly frustrated, but sometimes you just gotta let go. :ROFLMAO: Desperately needed some volume automation when the distorted guitars come in, but I don't have the energy to figure that out. There is some weird volume swell in one part, so I had to cut that part down in half to save my sanity. (Nothing like a late edit!) Dr. Dre levels of bass in my car, thinner in the room, don't want to try to reconcile it. And the obligatory, F U Soundcloud.

I liked it so much, I just learned your bass lines and jammed along on that chopped6!

Remix brother - get them drums up! lol

I liked it so much, I just learned your bass lines and jammed along on that chopped6!

Remix brother - get them drums up! lol

Thanks dude. I actually tried to make a thoughtful bass line for the opening part, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to make bass tracks pop with clarity, without just overwhelming the mix. I hear you on the drums, I’m actually reshooting some bits from that track, (some stuff has some weird distorted artifacts) and probably going to do a reworked version for week 4.

Thanks dude. I actually tried to make a thoughtful bass line for the opening part, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to make bass tracks pop with clarity, without just overwhelming the mix. I hear you on the drums, I’m actually reshooting some bits from that track, (some stuff has some weird distorted artifacts) and probably going to do a reworked version for week 4.

Do you have neutron4?

I’ve spent a lot of time recently trying to understand bass; not fully there yet … Maybe in another few months But there’s certainly some tricks you can do.

There’s marriage between the kick and bass that needs to happen, although people have a wildly different theories on how to go about that. lol

And our untreated rooms make this super hard

Do you have neutron4?

I’ve spent a lot of time recently trying to understand bass; not fully there yet … Maybe in another few months But there’s certainly some tricks you can do.

There’s marriage between the kick and bass that needs to happen, although people have a wildly different theories on how to go about that. lol

And our untreated rooms make this super hard

So at the risk of Bruce’s wrath (who has really helped guide me with some pointers) I’m still mixing my entire drum track as one. :bag

GGD is sending the entire kit to one bus and I just mix that entirely, rather than break it down into individual tracks. (Kick, snare, toms, cymbals etc) I’m sure it’s not hard to break it down to component parts but it just seems tiring thinking about it. :ROFLMAO:

So at the risk of Bruce’s wrath (who has really helped guide me with some pointers) I’m still mixing my entire drum track as one. :bag

GGD is sending the entire kit to one bus and I just mix that entirely, rather than break it down into individual tracks. (Kick, snare, toms, cymbals etc) I’m sure it’s not hard to break it down to component parts but it just seems tiring thinking about it. :ROFLMAO:

I still mix DRUMS in one track w logic drummer …

However, Logic drummer “smart controls” allow me to go and tweak individual volumes of each kit piece if needed (along with tone.)

I asked about Neutron because I find it helpful to toss on a bass track and get the EQ curve tightened up (using things like dynamic eq and genre/instr. eq references)

That often generates a starting point for compression and saturation as well on the track as well.

Outside of Neutron… There’s some other things too, to help it pop across smaller transducers, i.e., adding saturation/exciter to create harmonics (higher up shit that psychoacoustically tell the brain there’s bass in a pair of earbuds), and/or adding some sub for those that can hear/reproduce it.

And then compressors are their own whole world when it comes to bass and rhythm.

Super fun stuff! So much more to learn!

Back