Do Something - Season Two - Week (H)8

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
This is it folks, the last week left in season two!

Welcome to week HATE - as in hate to see this season end.

Here's what's going on so far:

Regular weekly/bi-weekly challenge:

@Iron1 - 13
@TravisG406 - 5
@FuzzyAce - 8
@Alex Kenivel - 8
@Whizzinby - 4
@mbenigni - 1
@megametal7 - 3
@DrewJD82 - 1
@Moondog Wily - 9
@T Gobbs - 4
@EveryoneElse - slackers

That's 56 pieces of music that didn't exist prior to this challenge. Way to go!

The rest of TGF combined:
giphy.gif

TGF Do Something Season Two BANDMATE CHAMPION:

>crickets<
(I did start a collab with another member, but life got in the way of their part... maybe next season...)

Ok, time to get going with Week (H)8!

freddiem_website.jpg

Season Two roars into the last lap!

Congrats to all who have participated already!

For all the rules, reasons why Guitar Center tries to sell roadkill'ed guitars at premium prices, why New Kids on the Block still suck, how to win an authentic Revdrucifer autographed rimshot (now with added sphincter wrinkles), why Corporate Rock still blows donkeys and other such non-existent musings, please refer to the Week One thread.

FYI, I added a video link to my piece "Felis Domestisynth" submitted for week sex (6). I am going in reverse on making the videos. Here it is if anyone would like to watch:

Probably the best one so far regarding the video content as there is a theme (cats) and I am getting some things worked out on my image morphing!!

I do not expect this to be an additional credit as it is not a new musical piece, just wanted to note it! Thanks Iron1 for the credits on the vids from week 7, but there again it is not new music, so I feel guilty for getting credits for them. Feel free to take those two credits out of my total!!

Edit: I also updated "Swish Breeze" in week 6 to include a video link. Let's just say, it doesn't get much cheesier!! Once again, I don't expect credit for this, but folk have been enjoying these vids so I thought I would link it here in week 8 along with it's updated week 6 link!

Last edited:
Finished the video for my week 5 submission "Say What?" and updated the links there to point to this video. Here is that link if you would like to watch:

Say What?

Last edited:
Final video finished. This was for my week 2 submission "The Distant Present"! I personally love this video, over 500 images used and a very diverse selection of styles and content!

FYI, I added a video link to my piece "Felis Domestisynth" submitted for week sex (6). I am going in reverse on making the videos. Here it is if anyone would like to watch:
Probably the best one so far regarding the video content as there is a theme (cats) and I am getting some things worked out on my image morphing!!

I do not expect this to be an additional credit as it is not a new musical piece, just wanted to note it! Thanks Iron1 for the credits on the vids from week 7, but there again it is not new music, so I feel guilty for getting credits for them. Feel free to take those two credits out of my total!!

Edit: I also updated "Swish Breeze" in week 6 to include a video link. Let's just say, it doesn't get much cheesier!! Once again, I don't expect credit for this, but folk have been enjoying these vids so I thought I would link it here in week 8 along with it's updated week 6 link!
I have no idea what you're talking about... additional credit? What? Who?

And, if it makes you feel better, you can always post these in the Do Something Challenge - Director's Cut Thread.

In fact, I need to tweak one of my submissions for last week and post it over there...

Put this together as a starting point for the new Red Vvinter drummer and I to gel writing together.

My new Solar A2.7 Canibalismo is having the fretboard rolled, so just had my Jackson HT7 for all the guitars. Got (yet another) Ibanez SR305e yesterday so I had a "beater" 5-string that I didn't care about for gigs and such, so used it for the bass lines. It's now the 4th SR305 I've owned, so maybe I need to keep this one and stop selling them 'cause I decide I don't need it... :rofl

Last edited:
Is it acceptable to submit a scratch track?

I'm trying to force myself to complete a song (no guarantees at this point) while attempting to learn mixing through Logic - I'm nearly clueless at this point :confused:

I recorded something to a backing track in Audacity back around 2008 and that's about the extent of my experience - so it ought to sound like a proper version of "Don't do this" with some bonus clams between the different tracks. :crazy

Here we go - Scratch track 1. :facepalm PSA: I don't know what I'm doing so turn the volume down to be safe. LOL

Need to figure out why bouncing never seems to show complete in Logic but the file is written. (Fixed thanks to MoonDog Willy). They need to color those arrows differently on the measure bar in Logic, I could hardly see them.

I'm using Logic's drummer,. I didn't go into the piano roll to edit - so it's meh.

Tried to keep it really simple to get an idea of basic levels and mix. Bass drum and lower bass notes don't seem to really move forward, but I couldn't carve with the EQ to get them to sit better in the mix - possibly competing frequencies.

Last edited:
Here we go - Scratch track 1. :facepalm PSA: I don't know what I'm doing so turn the volume down to be safe. LOL

Need to figure out why bouncing never seems to show complete in Logic but the file is written.

This is logic's drummer, didn't go into the piano roll to edit, so it's meh.

Tried to keep it really simple to get an idea of basic levels and mix. Bass drum and lower bass notes don't seem to really move forward, but I couldn't carve with the EQ to get them to sit better in the mix - possibly competing frequencies.

Sounds good to me. Love the rhythm guitar tone! :rawk

Need to figure out why bouncing never seems to show complete in Logic but the file is written.

Sounds pretty damned good 👍
Kinda an old school groove which sounds great to my ears.

Sounds good! I don't know logic at all, but I know in my DAW (Cubase), you have In/Out markers for the project/song. When those are not set to the beginning and end of song, it will only output between the set points. Look into that and you may be able to figure out why it is cutting off at a certain point in the track!

When I went to bounce it down I got too close to the start and I cut just a hair off at the end.

I understand some of the basic concepts of mixing, it's figuring out where the function I want is located, and what I'm looking at in the software to get the end result I want. Time to search for some more video tutorials.

I really need to get a decent keyboard controller for some of the things I want to do, and a few plugins and instruments. All of my old stuff was on Windows 7 back in 2008 through 2010 and I never completely learned how to use them.

Im getting 80s vibes…. I like a guitar tone…. What was your rig on this ?

80's may or may not be a coincidence....I somehow remembered this riff I came up with when I was about 14...so between '82-'83. Only 40 years and still unfinished. :rofl

All guitars and bass are ToneX Captures

Guitar 1 - Suhr Strat - SSV humbucker (PAF). AMP1: EVH 5150 Mesa OS 4x12 Cab - from user DanBier. 1 Track hard panned left & 1 Track hard panned right
Guitar 2 - Les Paul - Suhr SSH humbucker (Med Output) AMP2: Mesa Mark V Channel 3 Mesa 4x12. (Amalgam Captures - Free model). 1 Track hard panned left & 1 Track hard panned right

The Mark V Capture is lower gain than many would think (especially from CH 3). With the medium output humbucker it's still lower gain than the 5150 by quite a bit. I was trying to make the guitar sound bigger/fatter without too much low frequency boom or high frequency fizz.

I used just a little EQ - rolled off below 80 hz, rolled off the highs down to about 12.2k and boosted 1K by about 1dB. Those frequency choices really depend upon the capture and other captures in the mix to make them work together.

Last edited:
Back