Do I get anything different by buying a Triple Rectifier or Badlander if I have a Dual Rectifier?

To answer the OP question: Get a Badlander if you already have a Recto.

My answer is in no way biased by the fact that I have one for sale, either... maybe...

Having a dual rec and a triple rec is possibly redundant. If you have a mid-2000s 3 channel dual rec, the triple of the same era will net you a better clean sound. I’m not 100% sure why, but I had a 3 channel triple for a long time and it killed the dual for cleans.

A more modern MW 3 channel - it’s not going to matter, they’re both great.

I will say though that since owning a Road King 2 for about 2 years now, there is no Mesa rectifier that comes close to the sound or versatility. It’s amazing at low volumes - way more than any other Recto even the 25 watt variants. It has more options with the Tweed, Fat, and Brit modes, and I like the orange channel in modern mode with a mix of EL34s and 6L6s. It’s truly an awesome amps and it’s a shame it was overlooked by so many for being so complicated. It’s an amazing amp. If you want a simpler version, Roadsters are simplified Road Kings and generally go for at or less than a MW dual on the used market.

The Badlander is a different beast as are the Mark amps. If you can swing it, I highly recommend having one of each. Recto, Badlander, and Mark. You’ll have all the sounds you’ll ever need.

I’m not 100% sure why, but I had a 3 channel triple for a long time and it killed the dual for cleans.
Oh interesting. I’ve not heard this before. I’ve always appreciated the pushed clean sounds on the 3 channels. Having nice EOB and mid gain pushed tones is dicey with my 2 channel dual and def a step forward in the 3 channel models.

I will say though that since owning a Road King 2 for about 2 years now, there is no Mesa rectifier that comes close to the sound or versatility. It’s amazing at low volumes - way more than any other Recto even the 25 watt variants. It has more options with the Tweed, Fat, and Brit modes, and I like the orange channel in modern mode with a mix of EL34s and 6L6s. It’s truly an awesome amps and it’s a shame it was overlooked by so many for being so complicated. It’s an amazing amp. If you want a simpler version, Roadsters are simplified Road Kings and generally go for at or less than a MW dual on the used market.
The Roadsters are popping up in the $1200 range sometimes and I keep thinking I’m a moron for not grabbing one while they are so cheap.

Right now what I have is:

Diezel VH4
Diezel D-Moll
Diezel Hagen

?????????

1718402718556.png

Last edited:
Oh interesting. I’ve not heard this before. I’ve always appreciated the pushed clean sounds on the 3 channels. Having nice EOB and mid gain pushed tones is dicey with my 2 channel dual and def a step forward in the 3 channel models.

The Roadsters are popping up in the $1200 range sometimes and I keep thinking I’m a moron for not grabbing one while they are so cheap.

I highly recommend the roadster. I have no doubt that I will be grabbing one again at some point especially if the prices hold. Absolutely amazing amps, couldn’t resist the opportunity trading for a mark v though. But I’m sure we shall meet again…

in 2010 Studio Preamps were 450, now they are ~1300, that's better than real estate... if I had the cash I'd buy like 3 roasters right now. that's just the one model I don't stock up on in multiple just because it's so bomb proof and they are so gd many of them, I don't need to keep 3, you'd find 3 in a junk pile. Nomads, Triaxis, Studio Pre, most def

in 2010 Studio Preamps were 450, now they are ~1300, that's better than real estate... if I had the cash I'd buy like 3 roasters right now. that's just the one model I don't stock up on in multiple just because it's so bomb proof and they are so gd many of them, I don't need to keep 3, you'd find 3 in a junk pile. Nomads, Triaxis, Studio Pre, most def
Don’t get me started on the studio pre. Biggest sellers regret ever.

If you see a Roadster for $1200 either buy it or IM me.

I’ll just say this, I’ve never played a dual that I liked as much as my triple…

Is it redundant, maybe but with a collection like you already have I think you should try one. You can always move it on if you find it is redundant. You’ll always wonder until you try one…

D

How about $1100 plus a generous return policy to make sure there’s no issues?
https://www.guitarcenter.com/pdp/productDetail.jsp?productId=site5119367094

Been seeing a lot for cheap on GC used lately

That looks like a Combo that has been rehoused. Been there for months, too. It also smells funny! :cop

A few months back it was in another store location and is now in the greater Chicago area. :idk

I check that site damn near every day looking for another amp I can't possibly ever use. :LOL:

@la szum you smelled the amp?

Not literally. :LOL: Just seen it on their site for many months now. And that it changed locations,
which means someone probably bought it and returned it at least one time. It was previously
in the Metro Detroit area, and now is in the greater Chicago area. :unsure:

Swapped the Mark III for the 2ch Dual Rectifier this weekend. It loves my TL-62. The single coils can be toppy on the red modern but the vintage gain and red cloned to vintage sound incredible.

I feel like red cloned to vintage is the unsung hero of this amp - the red channel’s presence control really opens up the upper mids and top end in a way you can’t on the orange channel - it’s almost like blending the red harmonics into the orange gain.

IMG_1592.jpeg

Nice! For me, the best Rectifier tones are not the ones they are most well known for,
nor the ones most people assume they do the best.

:sofa

Still like the sludgy, scooped mids thing.... in moderation, of course. :beer

Nice! For me, the best Rectifier tones are not the ones they are most well known for,
nor the ones most people assume they do the best.

:sofa

Still like the sludgy, scooped mids thing.... in moderation, of course. :beer

I’ve always been surprised that more doom/stoner bands don’t use rectos (especially roadster)

But they’re very strict about image/aesthetic in that scene even tho they pretend not to be :cop

Back