DIY Desktop Rack for Axe FX 3

The Axe 3 is the only piece of rack gear I have (and really amp planning to have), so I don't need a lot of storage. I definitely had my eye on a lot of different desks, but haven't found anything that really looks ideal.

I wanted something that I could put on a sit-stand desk as well, in case I go that route.

I prefer tables… So there’s no shelving ever, but I need to start optimizing vertically

I almost got one of those straight edge guide tools but figured I'd go as is. Honestly I don't know if I've used a circular saw in 20 years, if ever!

I think if I did again, I'd definitely get the guide, and then I'd do the dowel as well and make sure the edges are more square. Maybe a more powerful sander for leveling? I also need to figure out how to keep the pieces square while gluing and screwing it together.

But yeah it should work just fine as a working prototype.
You don't really need the special guides - a straight 2x4, or better - straight edge of plywood, etc., will do.

The way you put it together, definitely use dowels, with screws only there to kind of clamp everything in place while glue dries.

If you're talking about leveling the edges - a block plane is your best friend. Alternatively, use a rasp or rasp plane and then go back and sand once you've taken down the high spot. Palm sander, no matter the power/grit of paper, is just not ever going to be a good tool for that kind of work.

I've got a few racks made by Sound Town. They're reasonably priced and quite nice:

I know you’re already in motion on this, but if you want a pre-built that won’t break the bank, this is the desk I have and it’s excellent. It has 2 20 space racks (i think 20, I haven’t counted) on either side and a 5 space on top it comes with. You can buy additional rack rails and add a second 5 space in the section next to it:

I’ve seen Leon Todd, Keith Merrow, and a bunch of other guys use the same desk over the years. Yeah it’s pressed wood IKEA-style but it works really well.
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

Rack is done! It's quite "rustic" but it does look kind of cool. I was able to get a nice satin finish with some 320 grit sandpaper to knock the finish down, then rub a little more finish on with a rag, then 000 steel wool when dry. Mounted the Axe FX 3 and it's a perfect fit! Just a little wiggle room around the edges. I need to let it finish airing out in the garage tonight but will set up the desk tomorrow.

52825897996_dd98ef8af2_b.jpg

52825898016_cf2b18278e_b.jpg

52826078869_0f347f6a8b_b.jpg

52826336338_1cd52cd74e_b.jpg

Rack is done! It's quite "rustic" but it does look kind of cool. I was able to get a nice satin finish with some 320 grit sandpaper to knock the finish down, then rub a little more finish on with a rag, then 000 steel wool when dry. Mounted the Axe FX 3 and it's a perfect fit! Just a little wiggle room around the edges. I need to let it finish airing out in the garage tonight but will set up the desk tomorrow.

52825897996_dd98ef8af2_b.jpg

52825898016_cf2b18278e_b.jpg

52826078869_0f347f6a8b_b.jpg

52826336338_1cd52cd74e_b.jpg

Nice!

:beer

I wouldn't leave it unattended down there in case you know who wants to "mark" it as private property. :idk

:rofl

All set up...

I will need to get some kind of shorter monitor stand as it's a few inches too high, but the speaker placement is great and overall I think it will be nice to use.

52826746183_4a96ee13d2_b.jpg
That came out really well! Also, I'm impressed that you did it all with a circular saw.

Well I jumped the gun on putting the rack in the house, fumes ended up a little too strong and I had to take it back outside to dry/cure some more.

Got a new monitor stand coming later today that looks like I can drop it almost all the way to the table, so will try setting it back up later today/tomorrow.

Well I jumped the gun on putting the rack in the house, fumes ended up a little too strong and I had to take it back outside to dry/cure some more.

Got a new monitor stand coming later today that looks like I can drop it almost all the way to the table, so will try setting it back up later today/tomorrow.
Blow a fan across it in the garage, probably for a couple days.

I put it outside all day yesterday as it was a nice sunny day. Then put in the garage overnight as it’s rainy today. Hopefully it settles down soon.

Put the monitor on the stand this morning and it should work a treat. With this I'll be able to position the monitor almost all the way down to the rack if I want, plus tilting. And it's pretty stable. $35 well spent.

Going to let the rack dry out all day in the garage then bring it in tomorrow and see if it's still giving off fumes.

618UnC6xhlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back