Digital modeling history

I remember the first time I played with modeling was actually a Yamaha keyboard that @Digital Igloo mentioned. It had a breath controller mouthpiece and I played a clarinet tone that was mind blowing. Then I walked away having no idea what I would use it for. So I was amazed yet also uninspired. It was my first lesson in the importance of the application of technology.

Come to think of it I had the same impression when I caught a demo of the Gibson robot guitar, or whatever that was called. Edit: Firebird X

Last edited:
In terms of the greater history of modeling units...I gotta say the GT-10 was absolutely groundbreaking for me. Some of this stuff may have been in the GT-8, The GT-10 was the first MFX/modeler I owned which offered:

1. Dual amp set ups.
2. Virtual mic selection and placement along with virtual speaker cabinet design.
3. Synth effects, specifically the wave synth effect which I believe was a wave shaper and the grandmamma to their current SY line.

Despite the legacy of that device being somewhat tarnished, I have some very fond memories of it.

Was Rocktron doing their early ProGAP stuff digitally?
I had a Chameleon, and yes, it was digital, however, their topography was more of a "from the ground up", they didn't have "models", or anything that sounded like anything to start, you had to build your tone from scratch.

I remember two (back then) close friends of mine, who had the GT-8 and GT PRO (basically a rack-shape GT-8).

The software was quirky, even for that era, but the sounds weren't bad at all. Still not my particular cup of tea - I remember thinking it sounded too run-of-the-mill and less unique than the various (disgusting) combinations of 5-10 daisy-chained pedals I'd dump on the floor without a board back then... Messy AF.
I still use my GT-pro as my preamp/effect unit in my rig, while its like you say mainly a GT-8 in rack form it does have some pretty significant differences, it has dual separate stereo outputs, one with XLRs which is configured like on a GT-1000, you have separate output EQs and separate switching of speaker emulation on/off. It has three effect loops (only one on GT-8) and also USB audio interface and computer editor unlike the GT-8. It was the GT-1000 of its day although in rack form and similarly priced, way more expensive than a GT-8 ( i bought mine new).

The GT-pro still sounds good through my mesa 20/20 power amp and guitar cab which is the way that i have always used it, the speaker emulation was never any good really so that may certainly give a poor impression.

I had this one, that was my first preamp thing
h9zfh1ze9omsmrmde2sx.jpg

Obviously not a floor unit, but my first dip into modeling was the ART SGX2000. Used it for a lot of recording and it did well for the time. Used to have the floor controller. All are long gone now, but still have my POD 2.0.
The ART SGX2000 was an analog tube and solid state preamp with analog and digital effects so not a modeler although it was a similar kind of product and Digitech also had a similar unit in the GSP 2101 (later 2112 amd 2120), i remember testing the 2101 when it was new in a store in the 90´s but it was very expensive and way out of my price range, i thought it was very cool then at least.

Here's my first multi effects unit, the Roland GP8. It's really not a modeler, the effects are analog, but they're digitally controlled. It was the first rack multi effect unit I had ever seen when it hit the music shop in 1988 or '89.

It does have a simulated speaker output, and I used it both as a stand alone unit and 4cm with amps.

I bought it new, and as you can see, it still powers up. Sadly, that GR50, which I also paid a ridiculous amount of money for when it was new, did not power up for this photo. I can't really remember the last time either one of them was powered up, but it's been years.

20230330_183829.jpg

I bought a Digitech GSP-21 Legend brand new in 1994, and it was the third generation of the GSP line. In fact, I still have it and it still powers up and works. It just doesn't sound all that great compared to even the cheapest modern units.

The in-you-face '90s asthetic of the SGX 2000 is... *shudders*

I got a chance to see one in real life once, and i was shocked to find out it has a 9vDC output in the back for pedals. I can't think of another rack unit doing that.

Last edited:
Here's my first multi effects unit, the Roland GP8.

Ah! Owned that one, too. Back then an absolutely groundbreaking unit. Most horrible to edit (as pretty much anything back then), but supported 4CM already and even had two amp switching outs, which was fabulous. Unfortunately, it had no reverb on board, so I took the plunge and bought an SPX 90, almost causing me to go bankrupt.
Ampwise, as the rack was already decided on anyway, I got one of these (very unknown gems):
Dynacord Reference 502 Digital Tube Amplifier | Reverb.jpg

A fully programmable tube amp (not just a preamp). The reverb encoder is misleading, only the combo version came with a spring reverb, otherwise it controlled an FX loop (quite neat).
More info:

Programming this setup was a nightmare, especially because of the GP-8 and SPX 90, but as the amp had 16 patches only, I stuck with those, didn't even want to touch MIDI mapping.

And fwiw, I went all in later on. As the amp was really not powerful (even if it said 65W or so), I had an electric wizard mate of mine slapping together what was supposed to be a kind of Marshall SE-100 (power attenuator) clone. Which at least worked (note: "worked" =/= "sounded good"). Have then been running the entire shebang through a 3 rackspace unit meant to amplify small live PAs that weighed like a ton. At least it was stereo (just that I had no money for great cabs, but I cloned myself two of these 1x12" Thiele/Small cabs).

Btw, that was my first real experience of how you can trick yourself into thinking you had a gread sound. I mean, all that money spent must be worth something, right?
Not much later on I had to use a Boogie Caliber 50 on a rehearsal. I think you'll all know what happened. I mean, that was a sound! Didn't even want to power up that rack mess anymore. Fortunately, I didn't have to trick any potential buyers into thinking they'd buy quality because the guy who bought it was the trombone player of a band I was in, parttime guitarist in some rather experimental lineup and his most important question was whether the rig would be able to sound like a shower (!). Which I could happily confirm! So I had the funds for that Caliber 50 and some pedals whereas he was happily showering his audience with ambient noise.

My first multi was the ART SGE mkii I brought brand new in 1990, and I still have it (and another) since.
1680252959284.jpeg

Way ahead of its time.

The ART SGX2000 was an analog tube and solid state preamp with analog and digital effects so not a modeler although it was a similar kind of product and Digitech also had a similar unit in the GSP 2101 (later 2112 amd 2120), i remember testing the 2101 when it was new in a store in the 90´s but it was very expensive and way out of my price range, i thought it was very cool then at least.
Totally forgot there was a tube inside. Good call. I also recall a chip update I had to do to the ART.

I was always fond of the Yamaha DG stuff. I felt they were unsurpassed for several years and are still some of the most user friendly digital modelers ever made. The motorized pots on the DG preamp and amps were a really cool feature.

I ran a DG80 combo (motorized - they also offered a passive version at one point) with a DG Stomp for years. Got them right after seeing the first artist ads. Couldn't agree more with your post. Would have loved to have seen that sort of direction evolve but they seemed to bail on the line really quick.

Loved all 4 of these guys at the time so it was a no brainer. Plus I don't remember the line being too crazily priced.

sddefault.jpg

Back