Dayum the headrush MX5 continues to impress me

Are there any amps on the MX5 that can be used for good cleans, crunch and lead sounds (all with one amp)?

Are there any amps on the MX5 that can be used for good cleans, crunch and lead sounds (all with one amp)?

As in 1 amp block? I think the JCM800 amps in there are good for that. There are some amps in there with all 2 or 3 channels from the real life amps also. Since I think firmware 2.6 it will do dual amps that only take up one block and same with IR's. TBH there are quite a few amps I havent even tried yet like the ENGL amps or the 5150 III amps. You could do all 3 channels of an amp and only use 2 blocks if you wanted. I intend to make a 5150III patch like that soon.

BTW this thing also has a Freqout that works pretty good. There's mud in yer eye Line 6, and everyone else actually.

As in 1 amp block? I think the JCM800 amps in there are good for that. There are some amps in there with all 2 or 3 channels from the real life amps also. Since I think firmware 2.6 it will do dual amps that only take up one block and same with IR's. TBH there are quite a few amps I havent even tried yet like the ENGL amps or the 5150 III amps. You could do all 3 channels of an amp and only use 2 blocks if you wanted. I intend to make a 5150III patch like that soon.

BTW this thing also has a Freqout that works pretty good. There's mud in yer eye Line 6, and everyone else actually.
Was thinking of using amp presets with scenes but the way you use it sounds good too.

Yep, I loved my Headrush Gigboard when I had it! Loved it that 3rd party IRs gives more tone possibilities!

Yeah the thing I don't get are folks who have spent either zero or little time with an HR unit shitting on it.

Buy one, try it out, spend some time with it. Until then you are just some interwebz person complaining about something they have never spent any time with.

Is it the "be all end all" of modelers? Of course not. Is it a completely legit gig machine? Absolutely. No the modeling tech isn't as good OOTB as Helix or Fractal but with the right IR's and some tweaking it's a great unit. Also yes it has great feel to it once you get things tweaked properly INCLUDING proper gain staging.

Sure it has some shortcomings but so does Line 6, NDSP, Fractal and everyone else. On a bang for the buck level there is nothing better in that price range when you factor in everything including poly pitch, 6 built in scenes, freqout, excellent gain staging options for in and out. If their tech is so old and crusty and the processors the same, how did they figure out excellent poly pitch that takes up very little DSP? I mean I can run poly pitch and 10 more blocks (more with dual amps and cabs) of whatever I want. Try that with a Stomp or even an FM3. Not gonna happen. Wont even get close. Especially on a Stomp. You want poly pitch? Ok good luck having wah, mods, delays, reverbs and an amp or two...LOL. if Stomp had dual paths, I'd not own an MX5. With it's size I am able to have everything I need for a gig on one board. Including my vocal processor, acoustic pre-amp, 2 regular stomps, power supply, direct box and 6 more foot switches via MIDI.

All things factored in, the MX5 leaves just about everyone in that price range in the dust. I thought initially the longer I owned it, the more I'd see these so called "shortcomings" but it's been the opposite experience. You just gotta work out how they skin the cat so to speak.

Last edited:
Nah. I may end up with another LT or Fractal unit but most likely will be my backup. I have some disposable funds to use up.
Or you could buy this , all tube

IMG_0843.jpeg

At one point many years ago, out of desperation (and lack of funds) I played my electric guitar through an old Scott receiver into a 15" JBL bass cab. Just before the speaker blew up and caught fire the toan was magnificent.
Sadly I must confess the same
First old sears guitar into a candle tube stereo in the 70s , It sounded like a fuzz

Yeah the thing I don't get are folks who have spent either zero or little time with an HR unit shitting on it.

Buy one, try it out, spend some time with it. Until then you are just some interwebz person complaining about something they have never spent any time with.

Is it the "be all end all" of modelers? Of course not. Is it a completely legit gig machine? Absolutely. No the modeling tech isn't as good OOTB as Helix or Fractal but with the right IR's and some tweaking it's a great unit. Also yes it has great feel to it once you get things tweaked properly INCLUDING proper gain staging.

Sure it has some shortcomings but so does Line 6, NDSP, Fractal and everyone else. On a bang for the buck level there is nothing better in that price range when you factor in everything including poly pitch, 6 built in scenes, freqout, excellent gain staging options for in and out. If their tech is so old and crusty and the processors the same, how did they figure out excellent poly pitch that takes up very little DSP? I mean I can run poly pitch and 10 more blocks (more with dual amps and cabs) of whatever I want. Try that with a Stomp or even an FM3. Not gonna happen. Wont even get close. Especially on a Stomp. You want poly pitch? Ok good luck having wah, mods, delays, reverbs and an amp or two...LOL. if Stomp had dual paths, I'd not own an MX5. With it's size I am able to have everything I need for a gig on one board. Including my vocal processor, acoustic pre-amp, 2 regular stomps, power supply, direct box and 6 more foot switches via MIDI.

All things factored in, the MX5 leaves just about everyone in that price range in the dust. I thought initially the longer I owned it, the more I'd see these so called "shortcomings" but it's been the opposite experience. You just gotta work out how they skin the cat so to speak.

I'm not gonna lie....many times I have considered a HR Gigboard. And now they can be found at bargain prices, for sure !
I don't have a HR ( at this time ) but I'm pretty sure the amp modeling will go toe-to-toe with my FM3 and HLT.

If @Bob Zaod is getting great results gigging with HR...then that's what works. Dial it in & make it work !!

I'm not gonna lie....many times I have considered a HR Gigboard. And now they can be found at bargain prices, for sure !
I don't have a HR ( at this time ) but I'm pretty sure the amp modeling will go toe-to-toe with my FM3 and HLT.

If @Bob Zaod is getting great results gigging with HR...then that's what works. Dial it in & make it work !!

I had an FM3 and Helix LT before this MX5. There are models in the MX5 that beat the HLT head to head but the HLT and FM3 from an overall tone quality perspective, are better than the MX5. However the form factor, usability, and workflow on the MX5 is much better than either the HLT or FM3. To be clear I dont use the Headrush to record with. It's just for gigs, and for that its...:chef

I just got done building my first 5150 III patch and it's pretty damn close to the real thing. I just spent a good hour yesterday with a 50w EL34 5150III and passed on it.

I had an FM3 and Helix LT before this MX5. There are models in the MX5 that beat the HLT head to head but the HLT and FM3 from an overall tone quality perspective, are better than the MX5. However the form factor, usability, and workflow on the MX5 is much better than either the HLT or FM3. To be clear I dont use the Headrush to record with. It's just for gigs, and for that its...:chef

I just got done building my first 5150 III patch and it's pretty damn close to the real thing. I just spent a good hour yesterday with a 50w EL34 5150III and passed on it.

Bob, I have a question...does the HR Gigboard have the same amp models that are loaded in the MX5 ?

I always have liked the form factor of the GB.

Thanks Bob..

Thank you...I'm looking at the Gigboard...again.
Biggest advice with these units is to make sure to get the in/out gain staging right. The first time I had the MX5 I hated it thinking it was junk until I spent some time setting up the in and out levels. They really thought that part out. Having finely tweakable in/out levels is huge.

Um, doesn't the Headrush have a 5150 II model? Not the 5150 III? Seems like a small distinction, but those are VERY different amps in real life.

Yes the model is the II but it certainly gets close to the III

Say this with all due respect, but not really.

It's "close" if you're running a boost in front of each on the highest gain channels with gain past around one o'clock through the same cab, maybe. Even then, the palm mutes and response is not the same. The actual character of the amps is different. These are two I've actually played a good bit in real life in both head and combo forms. Even the models for both on the Fractal FM9 are substantially different.

Say this with all due respect, but not really.

It's "close" if you're running a boost in front of each on the highest gain channels with gain past around one o'clock through the same cab, maybe. Even then, the palm mutes and response is not the same. The actual character of the amps is different. These are two I've actually played a good bit in real life in both head and combo forms. Even the models for both on the Fractal FM9 are substantially different.

Got pretty close to my ears with some eq'ing but doesnt matter to me, my go to on the MX5 continues to be the Mark 2c++

Back