Dayum the headrush MX5 continues to impress me

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Love the MKIIc+ in it and the JC 120. The MKII c+ especially feels so good under the fingers and has a girth to it that I havent experienced in other modelers yet. Being able to really get the input and output levels exactly where I want them is helping for sure. The JC-120 model has the chorus and it's knobs baked in too. Who'd a thunk it? It's pretty accurate but I run the Dimension Chorus instead. It's better.

Couple other things are how easy it fits in the band mix and has excellent note articulation even at high gain settings. Struggled with that on other modelers so I stayed away from high gain for most stuff. With the patches I have on the MX5 I can use high gain on just about anything thats distorted and it makes it better. Even AC/DC and Zeppelin stuff that youd think requires less distortion sounds fantastic.

I am still working on getting my solo scene right where I want it but trying a couple different things with the dyna comp and post eq. I am so close there. My rhythm and clean sounds though are the best I have had when going direct to PA. I could make some recordings, but you really have to be in the room to experience this set up. It's really goosebumps inducing.

Last edited:
Love the MKIIc+ in it and the JC 120. The MKII c+ especially feels so good under the fingers and has a girth to it that I havent experienced in other modelers yet. Being able to really get the input and output levels exactly where I want them is helping for sure. The JC-120 model has the chorus and it's knobs baked in too. Who'd a thunk it? It's pretty accurate but I run the Dimension Chorus instead. It's better.

Couple other things are how easy it fits in the band mix and has excellent note articulation even at high gain settings. Struggled with that on other modelers so I stayed away from high gain for most stuff. With the patches I have on the MX5 I can use high gain on just about anything thats distorted and it makes it better. Even AC/DC and Zeppelin stuff that youd think requires less distortion sounds fantastic.

I am still working on getting my solo scene right where I want it but trying a couple different things with the dyna comp and post eq. I am so close there. My rhythm and clean sounds though are the best I have had when going direct to PA. I could make some recordings, but you really have to be in the room to experience this set up. It's really goosebumps inducing.

That is fantastic that the Headrush MX5 can cover everything you need on stage ! It's amazing really...

The Fractal FM3 and the Helix LT was blown out of the water by the MX5 !! ( I guess the FM3 & the HLT just couldn't cut it ) :idk

Fashion Designer Reaction GIF by 60 Second Docs

I do have to say my Buddy with the Headrush Prime actually got a decent high gain tone this
past Thursday. First time I thought it was even remotely oK. I told him so, and in the nicest way
possible. :hugitout

Happy for you, Bob. We likes what we likes. :beer

Yes Happy for you Baahby if it works and puts a smile on your face then all good in da hood

:beer

That is fantastic that the Headrush MX5 can cover everything you need on stage ! It's amazing really...

The Fractal FM3 and the Helix LT was blown out of the water by the MX5 !! ( I guess the FM3 & the HLT just couldn't cut it ) :idk
I also changed up my amplification and I use the built-in cab Sim on my mixer. I think I just created a perfect storm. It really is a fantastic experience. I haven't gassed for anything in a couple weeks, and right now I'm sitting here waiting for my wife to get out of the craft store so that I can go home and play through it for a couple hours.

In the jamming/writing/recording group I get up with every other weekend, the other guitarists often use MX5 for amp tones for the sake of convenience. There are some very usable sounds in there as I thought the original Eleven Rack had them too. The IIC+ isn't one of my faves, necessarily, but I think the Bogner Ecstasy and Fender models are pretty good.

In the jamming/writing/recording group I get up with every other weekend, the other guitarists often use MX5 for amp tones for the sake of convenience. There are some very usable sounds in there as I thought the original Eleven Rack had them too. The IIC+ isn't one of my faves, necessarily, but I think the Bogner Ecstasy and Fender models are pretty good.

I am dubbing around with the SLO100 models right now. Definitely better than the HX Soldanos by a mile. Especially with 96k/24bit resolution York Audio IR's. I never tried them cos I either used something that didnt support them (Helix LT) and also thought it wouldn't make a difference. It definitely does. Not sure yet if I like the difference to 48k but there definitely is one.

I am also finding effects that are definitely better suited for how I use them than with HX. The Mutron for instance. Always struggled with it on HX, MX5 it works perfect and behaves like I want it to. It is something I use on 4-5 songs so it's nice to have it just work.

The only GAS I have had since dialing this thing in is for a pedalboard or a Prime. I have to remind myself that I have everything I need now on one board and if I got full size I wont.

Last edited:
I am dubbing around with the SLO100 models right now. Definitely better than the HX Soldanos by a mile. Especially with 96k/24bit resolution York Audio IR's.

I never haul my LT to our performance space, but there's a spare HX Stomp laying around. If time allows, I'll get it updated to the latest firmware with oversampling and maybe shoot them out? I don't currently use Soldano models a lot on any platform, but if I had to these days...I'm probably using the FM9 version.

I never haul my LT to our performance space, but there's a spare HX Stomp laying around. If time allows, I'll get it updated to the latest firmware with oversampling and maybe shoot them out? I don't currently use Soldano models a lot on any platform, but if I had to these days...I'm probably using the FM9 version.

Fractal is definitely in another league but I found it wasn't a league I need to be in to make great sounds. I started on the SLO100 with Tracii Guns artist pack, stripped it down to just amps and built out from there. Really digging the SLO's right now.

Fractal is definitely in another league but I found it wasn't a league I need to be in to make great sounds. I started on the SLO100 with Tracii Guns artist pack, stripped it down to just amps and built out from there. Really digging the SLO's right now.

No doubt. The FM9 is a luxury. I really dig the Plexis on Headrush too. It's a good machine for Marshall tones, overall. I guess Soldano leans a little toward the high-gain spectrum of that. I mean, listen to this high-quality isolated guitar shootout of JVM410s (on one of the JCM800 channels), Friendman JJ100 and a Soldano all through the same cab:

Back