Dave Friedman on Digital Modelers

la szum

Goatlord
You asked for it. Here it is. :LOL:

Drops hint. Look out.

(Please watch the video and try to comprehend what is being said before commenting. It's not hard. ;) )

Last edited:
What else would he say :rofl it's funny though because in the interview someone asks why their amp sounds bright and he goes through the gauntlet of things it could be (and rightfully so) but couldnt the same thing apply to the guy who said his Kemper sucked lol what was his monitoring system, what speakers, what guitar etc. Nope, just dismisses it

What else would he say :rofl it's funny though because I'm the interview someone asks why their amp sounds bright and he goes through the gauntlet of things it could be (and rightfully so) but couldnt the same thing apply to the guy who said his Kemper sucked lol what was his monitoring system, what speakers, what guitar etc. Nope, just dismisses it
It's because dude didn't buy the 67lb $1500 ASC 15"!

If I was basing my opinion on modelling on the official Plugin Alliance BE100 sim then I’d be on his side 😂 Pretty sure he’s said Line 6 nailed their BE100 emulation, which I can attest to.

That said, he has absolutely no need or incentive to use a modeller. From his perspective there’s probably nothing fun to gain from using them

If I was basing my opinion on modelling on the official Plugin Alliance BE100 sim then I’d be on his side 😂 Pretty sure he’s said Line 6 nailed their BE100 emulation, which I can attest to.

That said, he has absolutely no need or incentive to use a modeller. From his perspective there’s probably nothing fun to gain from using them

He was specifically asked about the Fractal models of Friedman amps. He also hinted at a future Friedman Modeler.

He was specifically asked about the Fractal models of Friedman amps. He also hinted at a future Friedman Modeler.
Oh, I’d only seen his older quotes so (wrongly) assumed it was repeating what he’d said. Well the Fractal models are dead on to me, but he always tends to push his version of something. Given most modellers have nailed his amps already, IMO the best he can really hope for is to match them….. (maybe he can beat them by having some innovative UI). Suppose if everyone else is making money off his name, then he may as well have a piece of the pie.

(FWIW the video opened at some random time on my phone, watched a few minutes and there was no mention…. didn’t know where to scroll to)

Dave told me 4 years ago when he wired my AX8 board “until you’re back to using real amps again”.

I’ve since replaced the AX8 with the FM9, I haven’t replaced it with a real amp and pigs will fly before I do.

I AM still alive so anything can happen but so far…….he’s wrong.

Watch the f'ing video and pay attention before commenting. Geesh!!
Oh, I’d only seen his older quotes so (wrongly) assumed it was repeating what he’d said. Well the Fractal models are dead on to me, but he always tends to push his version of something. Given most modellers have nailed his amps already, IMO the best he can really hope for is to match them….. (maybe he can beat them by having some innovative UI). Suppose if everyone else is making money off his name, then he may as well have a piece of the pie.

(FWIW the video opened at some random time on my phone, watched a few minutes and there was no mention…. didn’t know where to scroll to)

Bummer. I just checked and it went right to the timestamp. It's at 1 hour 44min. 45 seconds. :beer

What else would he say :rofl it's funny though because in the interview someone asks why their amp sounds bright and he goes through the gauntlet of things it could be (and rightfully so) but couldnt the same thing apply to the guy who said his Kemper sucked lol what was his monitoring system, what speakers, what guitar etc. Nope, just dismisses it

So true. Unless you detail the entire chain it is pointless to talk about how one thing in that
path sucked. It is assuming everything else is not also a variable.

He's not wrong.
Yeah I agree with him 100% about tube amps vs modelers. That said I do like the model of his amp in the Helix. Funny enough I don’t care for Dave’s amps except I thought the Smallbox sound pretty cool but not cool enough for me to buy it. Weird he is such a Marshall fan but his amps really don’t sound like old school Marshall’s and are a bit dull, compressed in the dynamics dept.

Back