Dave Friedman on Digital Modelers

Ok it may be a bit disingenuous to say he rebranded the B52 monitor. He licensed the design and builds them. Well, B.A.D. builds them. B52 also licensed the design.

Dave Friedman said : "The amplifier design is a licensed product. B-52 also licenses the amplifier design. After trying many designs I liked this one the best. Cabs are made Painted and grill clothed right in our shop. As with all our cabs, they are made with baltic birch. No cheap wood or plastic will do if you want the punch. Hope that clears things up."

Like the fx loop on your Friedman amps? It’s the Metro loop. At least it was on the earlier amps. George Metropolous’s loop, and it’s a great effects loop. He also builds great amps.

Ok it may be a bit disingenuous to say he rebranded the B52 monitor. He licensed the design and builds them. Well, B.A.D. builds them. B52 also licensed the design.
So like what the Headrush (acronym we don't use here) is to the Alto?

So like what the Headrush (acronym we don't use here) is to the Alto?
I’m not sure either of those 2 companies actually built that product. I believe that is a legitimate rebrand and they’re probably not the only 2 for that one product.

I’m not sure either of those 2 companies actually built that product. I believe that is a legitimate rebrand and they’re probably not the only 2 for that one product.
Yeah from what I understand I wouldn’t call what Friedman did a “rebrand” if you’re defining rebrand as just putting your name on a design that’s not yours and you don’t have a hand in building.

To my understanding, this is incorrect. Headrush did indeed design and build their products.

Source: I work for inMusic Brands, who own Headrush, Alesis, Numark, Akai, and a whole host of other brands. I'm not part of any of those teams though, so I may have it wrong.

To my understanding, this is incorrect. Headrush did indeed design and build their products.

Source: I work for inMusic Brands, who own Headrush, Alesis, Numark, Akai, and a whole host of other brands. I'm not part of any of those teams though, so I may have it wrong.
You're not part of the "Do You Even Headrush, Bro?" campaign then? If so; good.

I don't even know what that is! :rofl

I work for BFD - www.bfddrums.com
From over "there". I crack myself up!
4goz93.jpg

The real tube amp vs modeler debate is stupid and it’s been done to death.

Friedman amps are really nice. I’ve owned and gigged a couple. But whoever was at the bottom of the video was spewing nonsense about the magic feel of Friedman amps. Again, they’re very nice and feel great. So do a LOT of amps. Marshall, Suhr, Fender, Bogner, Soldano, Boogie, Peavey, and countless others sound and feel great.

One thing that clip demonstrates is how it's not easy to do talk-radio/podcasts/broadcasting and many don't have the knack for it. The pros make it seem easy. The timing and pacing is so awkward/boring here, it's almost painful.

Dave''s amp knowledge and experience is so deep, and his ears are so tuned to discriminnate their tones, i remain amazed.

Be lovely, or "loverly," to get him into the Ask Me Anything area.

If that’s so I stand corrected.

When I evaluated the Friedman monitor I'm pretty sure I determined it was just a rebranded B-52 with a different grill cloth.

B-52 is owned by the same guy (Avi El-Kiss) who owns Boutique Amp Distribution and whose factory makes Friedman, Soldano and several other amp lines. Form your own conclusions.

Friedman is a good amp tech though.

Dave Friedman said : "The amplifier design is a licensed product. B-52 also licenses the amplifier design. After trying many designs I liked this one the best. Cabs are made Painted and grill clothed right in our shop. As with all our cabs, they are made with baltic birch.
IOW, they build cabs that can easily be made by literally hundreds of cabinet shops in the US using widely-available materials. Building a suitable cab is not designing a loudspeaker. Lots of major players - e.g., Danley, EAW - have their cabs built to the highest quality standards by US contract manufacturers.

No cheap wood or plastic will do if you want the punch. Hope that clears things up."
It does. He didn't design the speaker, he rebranded a design and has the company build cabs from his choice of material.

Last edited:
Back