Cool Cockos Reaper Theme: White Tie Imperial

LeftyLoungeLizard

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
Designed for large monitors / dual screen setups. For example, you can have the tracks on one monitor, and the mixer on the other.

Works single monitor as well.

head_screen_arrange.jpg
head_screen_mixer.jpg

transport_default.png

mixer_ss.png

Looks good!

I just run a single ultrawide, but I'll give it a try

I've actually been whinging a lot about Reaper recently. Ask @MirrorProfiles and @Cirrus !!

Imperial has been around for a long time. But it has problems. A lot of the iconography is blurry, as seen in your screenshots. White Tie for some reason always has a tendency to make his fonts lack contrast, which sets them into the background - as evidenced by your screenshots too. There's no functional reason why INSERTS is more important than Bypass, and there's no reason why one should be more visible and readable than the other.

So recently I did my whole "compare DAWs" thing with a song. Where I recreated a mix in Reaper, Studio One, and Cubase 13 Pro.

Here's some screenies:
1719130937901.png

1719130967583.png

1719130981113.png

1719130989200.png

1719130999075.png

I know there is a lot of subjectivity to this topic, but there's no way in hell anyone can realistically say that Reaper looks as good as the other two, and there's no way in hell anyone can defend some of the - frankly, illogical - choices made in the Default 7 theme. You genuinely cannot even see the numeric value of your fader positions in the Default 7 theme, without relying on the mouse tool-tip. Absolute madness.

I know there will be stuff that you can customize using Theme Adjuster; once it fully supports the Default 7.0 theme... but I'm sooooooo done with wanting endless customization.

I've been a Reaper user since 2008, and honestly, I've just had enough. I've had enough of the constant hoop jumping to try and customize it to work the way it should work, when these other DAW's just work perfectly out of the box.

I've been using Reaper for multitracking DAW since 2007, although admittedly much more in the last decade and half.

I've had Pro Tools & Cubase. I dig Reaper over both.

TBH, I use the boring/ugly-as-fuck default 5.0 theme. I don't care about looks, I care about function, speed (familiarity/performance) & low latency. If I want to get my "fancy" on I'll activate Imperial or similar.

I do color tracks (you can easily color tracks in Reaper with any shade you like), but that's it for customizing.

TBT, all those screenshots - lots of data displayed at one time for each pic (as one would expect from any DAW) and I don't know how anyone can say one looks exponentially better than the other. They all look like a mishmash of color tinted faders & clips; respectively.

Last edited:
I've been using Reaper for multitracking DAW since 2007, although admittedly much more in the last decade and half.

I've had Pro Tools & Cubase. I dig Reaper over both.

TBH, I use the boring/ugly-as-fuck default 5.0 theme. I don't care about looks, I care about function, speed (familiarity/performance) & low latency. If I want to get my "fancy" on I'll activate Imperial or similar.

I do color tracks (you can easily color tracks in Reaper with any shade you like), but that's it for customizing.

TBT, all those screenshots - lots of data displayed at one time for each pic (as one would expect from any DAW) and I don't know how anyone can say one looks exponentially better than the other. They all look like a mishmash of color tinted faders & clips; respectively.
Here I Am Mirror GIF by Jeopardy!

I'm cool with the stock reaper look too.. much like their built-in plain jane plugins

I have a go to template that has the tracks colored by type... but that's for utilitarian reasons... not aesthetics.

That said, I recently started using the "Smooth 6" template and I like it. Here's a shot of the last TGF challenge project I did w/ the smooth 6 theme.

smooth6.png

Back