Compressor, Yay or Nay?

Bought the Boss CS-3 a few weeks ago, instant regret, not enough volume even at max, pumping sound no matter what setting, bleh.
After some "research" I bough the Boss CP-1X today, hopefully that will be closer to what I expect from a compressor, ie. I don't want to hear it work, just have nice and even dynamics without tweaking it for hours.

Last edited:
Bought the Boss CS-3 a few weeks ago, instant regret, not enough volume even at max, pumping sound no matter what setting, bleh.
After some "research" I bough the Boss CP-1X today, hopefully that will be closer to what I expect from a compressor, ie. I don't want to hear it work, just have nice and even dynamics without tweaking it for hours.
A CS-3 was my first compressor, I haven't used it in years though. It's ok for certain things -- I think it is best with minimal compression, bump up the sustain and level to slightly boost the signal overall. More compression always thinned the signal out a bit too much for my liking. I've had the big API Tranzformer GT for a long time now, it laughs at the CS-3.

I just got my first compressor pedal this week, a Wampler Ego Mini. I rarely used compressors before this year, maybe a bit on a clean guitar but I didn't know how to dial them in. Started using them with the QC this year and really found I liked a compressor blended in to add a bit of sustain and fatness without killing the attack.

The Ego is awesome for this and sounds really good, better than the compressor models (until I can dial in closer). If you set the attack slow and use the blend knob, you can keep a lot of the initial attack and dynamics but then the compressor kicks in and adds some fullness and sustain.

It really makes it easier to play too, which is probably a copout, but I don't care much.

Compressor is my always on pedal.
y tho GIF

Compressor is my always on pedal.

Just added one set at a -2.0 threshold (post) to each of my 3 Tonex captures and it made a ton of difference.
Using high gain with single coils was a little too crispy on the E and B strings up high.
The compressor set low rolls off just enough of it without getting in the way with squashing.

Really cool little trick I stumbled over on YT earlier.

When switching from a les paul to a strat I use an eq to boost the level and cut some 6.4khz on the ge-7, that is often enough to make the strat sound like a good guitar. :LOL:
Using a quality compressor in my modelers does a much better job at "FIXING" the start, hopefully a I can get the same results with a pedal on my board.

EDIT:

I've never been this exited waiting for a compressor pedal. :LOL:
Particularly after hearing this demo;

Last edited:
The CP-1X arrived yesterday, I am quite impressed, it does exactly what I want a compressor to do, compress without hearing it work, not until the very extreme settings.

It is harder to find the goldilocks setting because it is inaudible so there was a lot of back and forth between Bypass/On to hear how it changes the playing dynamics.

I don't know what is the best way to adjust a compressor or how professionals do it but I do know when I don't like what I'm hearing, it is one of these 'effects' that is easier to hear what I don't like than do like.

Still tweaking, my journey with compressor has only began, I'm still learning.

The CP-1X arrived yesterday, I am quite impressed, it does exactly what I want a compressor to do, compress without hearing it work, not until the very extreme settings.

It is harder to find the goldilocks setting because it is inaudible so there was a lot of back and forth between Bypass/On to hear how it changes the playing dynamics.

I don't know what is the best way to adjust a compressor or how professionals do it but I do know when I don't like what I'm hearing, it is one of these 'effects' that is easier to hear what I don't like than do like.

Still tweaking, my journey with compressor has only began, I'm still learning.
easiest way to hear it imo is to start with:

- 4:1 or so ratio
- threshold so you are getting 10dB or more reduction
- release at fastest
- attack at fastest

from here, play and adjust the attack control and listen to how the sound changes as you go from the fastest attack to slower attack.

Once you are familiar with this, do the same thing with the release control, leaving everything else the same.

Then try high ratio’s, and try just compressing a couple of dB with fast attack.

Then try low ratio’s, with more GR.

With a mix control, I would think a bit more conceptually about what you are trying to blend in. If you want more sustain, then you’ll want a very fast attack, so more sustain is being added. If you want more transient punch, you’d want to blend in a slower attack.

Whizz is right. I've heard more clean guitars in need of some healthy compression
and more distorted guitars in need of less. :hmm

But so many times you hear just the opposite---especially live.

Also, compression can mask/masquerade for clunky technique. Kind of like a singer
who has bad Mic control and/or Breath control and cannot maintain a consistent
level or intensity with just their voice alone. :idk

easiest way to hear it imo is to start with:

- 4:1 or so ratio
- threshold so you are getting 10dB or more reduction
- release at fastest
- attack at fastest

That helped a lot.

After fiddling with the CP-1X, here's my method for natural (mild) compression;

1. Start with Volume noon, Attack and Ratio max, Compression zero (max threshold), so it is a fast hard limiter that does nothing yet.
2. Play open strings lightly with your right hand and slowly raise the Compression knob with the left hand till the first reduction led lights up, then back it a notch so it doesn't light up anymore, this is the threshold for soft picking.
3. Play normally and observe the reduction meter, gradually lower the Ratio knob to introduce some dynamics, do so until you don't hear limiting when playing normally or until it sounds natural enough to you.
4. Lower the Attack until you don't hear sharp transients with abrupt soft to loud picking, unless you want that.
5. Adjust the Volume to taste compared to bypassed signal or to other guitars.

Y'all all scientific. (love it) I just set up fast attack, moderately quick release, then crank the ratio right up until it feels like with any more ill be auditioning as a chicken picker with Corey Wongs band, then just blend back in enough dry signal to get my pick attack back.

PXL_20231110_015524332~2_1.jpg

Such a wonderful pair. The only (almost) always on pedals on my board. The Cali76 stacked edition is pure magic. :chef

I had a big box Cali 76 TX once upon a time, and if I had known then what
I know now, then I never would have parted with it. I thought them going for
$300-$400 was nuts at the time. Little did I know. :facepalm

Back