Compressor, Yay or Nay?

For cleans, I've gotten used to having a compressor on at all times. They just add the right amount of sparkle, also definitely work wonders on 12 string guitars too.

I like a compressor for cleans too, but I like it to be a simple one. I feel for guitar comps with a ton of controls just add complication you don't really need. They have their place in a studio setting.

The two compressor pedals I own are a Keeley Compress Mini, and a Strymon Compadre. The Keeley is a dead simple DynaComp with nothing but level and comp knobs. Blend is handled automatically and it works great.

The Strymon as their only digitally controlled analog pedal is also dead simple, just gives you a more transparent "studio" comp and a sweetening DynaComp plus a dry blend knob which can be useful for fitting the sound to go with the boost side.

1719828265018.jpeg

Good rule of thumb for a starting point is that Release should be 10x the Attack setting in milliseconds, if the compressor even has those parameters.
I've just noticed that the default at most Axe-FX compressors is the opposite:
Attack = 20x Release
1719828774145.png

Good rule of thumb for a starting point is that Release should be 10x the Attack setting in milliseconds, if the compressor even has those parameters.
Each to their own and all that, but IMO this is bad/ meaningless advice. The settings should ONLY relate to what you are trying to achieve.

If you want to reduce the relative level of transients, you want a faster attack time. If you want to emphasise the transients more (or for the transients to remain more natural), you’d want a slower attack.

You’re probably better off adjusting the release time by ear based on what you’re trying to achieve - that’ll depend on the part you’re playing, how much gain reduction there is, the tempo etc. There are instances where fast or release or slow release can sound more transparent based on the other settings, and all can be totally valid. Auto (aka program dependent) release modes can be handy - they usually have different release times and curves based on the input.

I would recommend finding a generic compressor with a full range of controls and try to familiarise with the sound of what fast attack vs slow attack, fast release vs slow release, high ratio vs low ratio etc all sound like. Once your ear can pick these things out, you’ll know how to adjust in use.

Gotta juice up my Strat and even out the plinky single coils, especially on position 2 and 4.
More juice, less plink.

I hate compressor pedal on a clean sound.

Compressor pedal with a blend knob and hefty level can be good for a lead boost into overdrive/to push amp into overdrive because often what you want for solo is just a liiiiitke more compression/sustain and volume and not a ton more gain. Wampler Ego worked well for this for me.

I have heard a shit ton of guitarists who need a compressor on when they play clean,
because their picking hand is so damn heavy handed! :facepalm Those clean transients are so
much more in your face than the transients on an overdrive channel of an amp are,
or when a drive or dirt pedal is engaged---since those incorporate a lot of compression
by nature.

Not anyone here, obviously. Just saying. :beer

Just ordered a UAFX 1176 a few days back. We’ll see how it goes!

I’ve spent decades honing my touch, feel and attack. I have mixed feelings about losing any of that. Hoping that a good comp might offer an enhancement to that when set right. Skeptical but open minded…

Just ordered a UAFX 1176 a few days back. We’ll see how it goes!

I’ve spent decades honing my touch, feel and attack. I have mixed feelings about losing any of that. Hoping that a good comp might offer an enhancement to that when set right. Skeptical but open minded…

All compressors have blend controls, and most have attack/release controls. The idea that one has to sacrifice all feel or dynamics using a compressor is silly. You’re good (y)

I have heard a shit ton of guitarists who need a compressor on when they play clean,
because their picking hand is so damn heavy handed! :facepalm Those clean transients are so
much more in your face than the transients on an overdrive channel of an amp are,
or when a drive or dirt pedal is engaged---since those incorporate a lot of compression
by nature.

Not anyone here, obviously. Just saying. :beer
I used to have a Stephenson amp that was excessively dynamic. I really had to learn to play with picking dynamics in a new way with that amp. After that, every amp has been a lot easier.

But I still like using a compressor with 50+ watt amps when playing clean. Even if you have relatively good control over your picking dynamics, the volume jump can be pretty significant when you have so much headroom. I liked for example the 45W Bogner Goldfinger I had much better when its clean channel was set for the 30W "low voltage" mode, because it smoothed out those transients in just the right way.

In a similar way just a little bit of compression can help. I have mine often just at like 9 o'clock on the dial, with most of the dry signal blended in.

All compressors have blend controls, and most have attack/release controls. The idea that one has to sacrifice all feel or dynamics using a compressor is silly. You’re good (y)

Totally.

And compressors can actually add some feel. My single-ended amp was hard AF with its always full throttle power tube, unlike my saggy Princeton with it's under-specified transformer. A slight touch of squish made the single-ended way nicer to play.

Gotta juice up my Strat and even out the plinky single coils, especially on position 2 and 4.

CP-1X is the best gd compressor in the universe. it's boss's version of multi-band compression, but like all their X pedals it's not just multi frequency band, they process multi spectrum, ie it's DSP voodoo that has to be heard to believed, there is no analog to what it does, completely smashed but you don't lose the top end, doesn't pump, doesn't distort. its basically a tesla power amp, with huge sagging filter death caps

1000132767.jpg

Back