Completed project, MOD 102+ amp build

MadAsAHatter

Roadie
Over the last few weekends I've been working on my current amp build project. This is a MOD102+ amp kit made by MOD electronics and and purchased from Amplified Parts. Many reviews compared it to the old Heathkit amp projects. I understand it to be in the realm of a Fender Champ, but with a couple of extras like mid boost, gain boost and EL84 power tube instead of 6V6.

This kit is pretty basic cosmetically. There's no shell or faceplate. It's just a cover plate to close off the chassis and a couple of stickers for the labels. Well that's not good enough for me. So I'm building a shell and making an acrylic faceplate. The faceplate will be pretty straight forward. I've made some decals for the labels and will spray paint the background a cream color. The shell is a bit more involved. Instead of plywood and covering with upholstery vinyl like I've done before, I decided to make it out of hardwood. It's walnut with a bloodwood accent of the face and maple to mimic piping.

I made one faceplate already but had to toss it. My dumb ass accidentally put the decals on upside down. On a good note, except for that it came out looking just how I wanted. I started on the second plate, but hadn't finished. I moved on to constructing the shell.

This is all the pieces to the kit and a render of how the final product will look.
1709424092787.png

1709424215227.png

For the construction of the shell I started with the face then built the shell around it to fit. First was to glue up the main piece then add the maple "piping accents"

Main piece in the clamps.
1709424511865.png

And with the maple "piping". Everything is still rough and still needing to be sanded and cut flush in this pic.
1709424617890.png

Next was to do up the sides, top and bottom of the main shell. This is everything cut to size and the "piping' glued on the top and bottom pieces.

1709424805107.png

Once all of that was sanded and planed to thickness I started to glue up the shell. I had only 2 corner clamps that were a perfect 90 degrees (the others I have are cheap and slightly off) so I had to do one piece at a time. It worked out well thought because it made it easier to keep things from moving around. Here I had glued the sides over the previous two days and the top was being glued on. If you notice and overhang on the sides, I did that on purpose to come back and flush cut it.
1709425100643.png

A this point I have the shell nearly finished. Everything has been flush cut, edges rounded over, pieces added to mount the face, and faceplate opening cut. The last things I have to do is drill some pilot holes, final sanding and finish. I also have to finish off the faceplate which won't take long. Then I'll start on actually wiring up the amp.

1709425417101.png

1709425440981.png

No pictures at the moment, but I've completely finished the shell and added all hardware. I also completed the faceplate. Just waiting a week or so for the paint to cure before putting a protective backing (masking tape) on it.

Next up is making a small modification to the chassis. It comes with a power cord that mounts and is wired directly in the amp. It shows to tie a knot in it on the inside of the chassis so it doesn't pull out. I don't like that so I'm replacing it with an IEC socket. So I need to do a cutout for it. After that it'll be on to mounting transformers and such and starting to wire everything up.

A little bit more done today. I cut the hole for the IEC socket, mounted transformers, tag strips, and hardware, and started a little soldering.

This is the first time I'm doing wiring on tag strips and I decided I'm not a fan. I much prefer turret boards. The little bit I've done so far has been a pain trying to keep it all neat. I've found it easier to take the tag strips out and solder everything I can outside the chassis.

Here's a couple of pics of the competed shell and chassis with things mounted. I haven't put the faceplate on yet. I'll do that last after I have it all wired up so I don't mess it up.

1710023832770.png

1710023860993.png

1710023883250.png

This is the little bit of wiring I did. It's part of the preamp section. It looks a little messy but all the solder joints are solid.

1710024107494.png

I got a good bit farther than I thought I would today. All of the components have been wired to the tag strips. The last of it will be wiring the tube sockets, and stuff on the front & back panels. I probably could have finished everything today, but had other shit to do today besides build an amp. Life always gets in the way of fun stuff.

This is where it stands now. If I have a chance to do things when I get home from work I shou0ld be able to finish everything by the end of the week.

1710099292074.png

I just realized there's a DIY section . If mods see fit to move my thread to the appropriate section please do so.

That cabinet turned out really nice. Champs are cool. You can plug anything into them and get a good practice tone.

It's Alive!! ALIVE!!!!

I worked on the last of the wiring yesterday and buttoned it all up this morning before work. Powered up on the first go; no explosions, no smoke. At first I was like "shit, it’s not working" because the indicator light didn't come on. Then I remember I hadn't put the bulb in. Duh...

I didn't play it long, just enough to know it made sound. On first impression it sounds good. Definitely in the Fender tone camp. The tone controls and pull knobs are relatively subtle, but enough to hear a difference and give some good variety. I'm not 100% sure if the "mid boost" is actually a boost or if it's shifting the tone stack. I'll have to play with it more.

One thing that surprised me was the loudness. Not that it’s loud enough to keep up with a band or anything. It’s that there's not much of a taper on the volume knob. There's no keeping it whisper quiet. It's pretty much full throttle as soon as it goes past 0.5. And there's not much clean headroom. As soon as it's to volume it's already at the edge of breakup. After that it's just more saturation and the volume minimally increases.

Last thing that was noticeable on first power up was that it's pretty quiet. There's very little, if any noise through most of the volume's taper and minimal hiss as you approach full volume/saturation.

I'll report back with more feedback after I put it through its paces this afternoon after work.

Here it is in all its completed glory.

1710241068290.png

1710241094274.png

Transforming the MOD102+ kit with your custom touches is a labor of love. Crafting a hardwood shell with walnut, bloodwood, and maple accents adds a touch of elegance to the amp's aesthetic.

Thanks for the complements!

I forgot I never did post an update here on where things stand & how it sounds.
As of right now I have a 12AU7 in V1 because any tube with higher gain seems to be causing blocking distortion in the EL84. With some advice the working theory is the coupling caps coming of the bass, treble, and volume pots are too large. I'll swap those out with ones 1/2 the current value. Next thing down the line if that doesn't get it will be changing out grid stopper & grid to ground resistors. I don't have parts I need on hand and have to order some.

It does work with no issues and no blocking distortion with the 12AU7 and I've been playing it like that for the last week or so. I have it going through my 212/115 cab with Weber Blue Dog(15") and Grey Wolfs(12"). Overall it sounds really good; very Fender-esque. I would compare it to a Champ or Princeton with maybe a hint more mids.

With the 12AU7 is stays cleanish about halfway up the dial. There's some light grit, but going into saturation doesn't come in until you on the back half of the volume. And of course you can pull for "drive" to push it a little more anywhere on the dial. It likes my Chiron (Klon clone) pedal as a boost.

It's fairly loud for a low watt amp. Nowhere near what you'd need for a band, but too loud for an apartment. 90% of full volume comes in quick. I'm lucky where I can crank it to max and not have to worry about being too loud. To me it's a great great way to get the cranke Fender sound without actually blowing the walls out.

Once I get the blocking distortion thing sorted out all the way I'll try to make some clips.

Thanks for the complements!

I forgot I never did post an update here on where things stand & how it sounds.
As of right now I have a 12AU7 in V1 because any tube with higher gain seems to be causing blocking distortion in the EL84. With some advice the working theory is the coupling caps coming of the bass, treble, and volume pots are too large. I'll swap those out with ones 1/2 the current value. Next thing down the line if that doesn't get it will be changing out grid stopper & grid to ground resistors. I don't have parts I need on hand and have to order some.

It does work with no issues and no blocking distortion with the 12AU7 and I've been playing it like that for the last week or so. I have it going through my 212/115 cab with Weber Blue Dog(15") and Grey Wolfs(12"). Overall it sounds really good; very Fender-esque. I would compare it to a Champ or Princeton with maybe a hint more mids.

With the 12AU7 is stays cleanish about halfway up the dial. There's some light grit, but going into saturation doesn't come in until you on the back half of the volume. And of course you can pull for "drive" to push it a little more anywhere on the dial. It likes my Chiron (Klon clone) pedal as a boost.

It's fairly loud for a low watt amp. Nowhere near what you'd need for a band, but too loud for an apartment. 90% of full volume comes in quick. I'm lucky where I can crank it to max and not have to worry about being too loud. To me it's a great great way to get the cranke Fender sound without actually blowing the walls out.

Once I get the blocking distortion thing sorted out all the way I'll try to make some clips.
I hope you finally get over that hurdle. I'm excited to hear your work.

Back