Cheap bass, I need one, thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback bros

7A16E481-4770-45B6-A88B-926DB93B271C.jpeg

Played the Affinity PJ, a Sterling, and two Squires (Precision and Jazz), narrowed it down to the Squires pretty easily because the necks were sooo much nicer. They had surprisingly nice finished necks, with good rounded edges and nice inlays. Sorta surprised me for the $$$. Felt way better than the Affinity, though I loved the idea of one with the PJ pickup options.

Decided to go with Precision.

View attachment 3734

Played the Affinity PJ, a Sterling, and two Squires (Precision and Jazz), narrowed it down to the Squires pretty easily because the necks were sooo much nicer. They had surprisingly nice finished necks, with good rounded edges and nice inlays. Sorta surprised me for the $$$. Felt way better than the Affinity, though I loved the idea of one with the PJ pickup options.

Nice choice! You can’t go wrong with a P.

Is that the surf green one? I had that same bass for a long time. It held its own next to my ‘76 P bass and in some ways was better.

View attachment 3734

Congrats! We expect some slapping and popping now. :LOL:

I agree. I was kind of blown away by the quality of the neck and frets on my recent
Squire Bass purchase.

Ordered some new strings to put on it, and needs a setup after I get them on.

Nice choice! You can’t go wrong with a P.

Is that the surf green one? I had that same bass for a long time. It held its own next to my ‘76 P bass and in some ways was better.

This I’d call more mint blue, but def in the same ballpark. Fairly sharp looking even though it’s not exactly the type of color scheme I would normally go for. I think the black fret rectangles add a nice touch with the black pick guard.

i have several cheap basses, and the big thing besides playability (which can be addressed with a setup and usually some minor fretwork) is the electronics.

get a squier affinity (i got their 5-string jazz), change the pickups, and have it professionally set up. that will be more than adequate and get you great sounds, especially if you already have a decent modeler.

View attachment 3734

Congrats, that looks stellar!

Depends the tone you are looking for. But the SR series in ibanez are great if you don’t want to spend that much . The electronic is really powerful

Fender.com has Squier selected on sale. I’m wrestling with a purple Bronco in my cart ATM….

Edit: hours later, sale ends today or tomorrow, Pulled the trigger! I know it isn’t a high-end bass, but haven’t had one in years and I’m looking forward to recording with it, plus it’s purple (ultraviolet Fender calls it)! Lots of cool Squier stuff on sale, was pondering a Mustang or Nashville Strat. There’d be some explaining to do with a new guitar here (stuck in rehab, not a lot of stash space).

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Adventures in cheap basses pt.2

Picked up this Sterling StingRay5 HH while out wrapping up some Xmas shopping. (Ya know, for the effort)

IMG_4634.jpeg

Needed something to track with when using the 7string guitar. The 4string was just way too floppy trying to drop to match it, and I’ve found some real limits to using a virtual capo beyond a couple steps.

Feels pretty good under the hand, and didn’t set me back too much.

Picked up this Sterling StingRay5 HH while out wrapping up some Xmas shopping. (Ya know, for the effort)

View attachment 16214

Needed something to track with when using the 7string guitar. The 4string was just way too floppy trying to drop to match it, and I’ve found some real limits to using a virtual capo beyond a couple steps.

Can't wait to hear it! Smol GAS for a 5er over here

View attachment 16214

So, two new basses, three weeks and ZERO new tracks to show off your newfound Billy Sheehan-ness? Tsk tsk... :pitchforks

Back