Cheap bass, I need one, thoughts?

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I need a new instrument like a hole in the head, but tracking bass with a guitar is disgusting. Thinking of grabbing a super cheap bass just for recording.

I’m assuming something like a Squire Precision bass is logical for this purpose, but just curious if there is another cheap bass worth considering that can cover most genres.

There’s some Sterlings in the $300-$400 range I played a couple years ago that I almost bought. I ended up getting a cheaper Warwick and almost immediately regretted it, but I wouldn’t admit it and fought with it for months.

Squire P Bass?

I was looking at this for like $250

088980EE-CB5C-42B4-8983-5FEFC15A4ECB.jpeg

Just need something that can hold tune, and be good enough to run with some plugins in 30 second bursts. lol

Yep. I would definitely play as many as you can before buying one as some felt like you’d expect but there were definitely some good ones in there. I just saw the Warwick and since I got a bass chubby for Ryan Martini I went with it. It was mostly exposed fret ends I’d run into on them as far as the bad ones. Or the neck needed to be straightened out a lot.

I would definitely recommend going to a store and playing a bunch. I did that a few years back and ended up with a Squier "Vintage Modified" Jaguar bass, which is has P/J pickups. It's not amazing but it played well, sounded fine, and was built okay.

A good P-bass is never a bad choice. You can do anything with it especially on the rock side of the world. The P/J pickup configuration is pretty nice too, punchy on one and clear on the other.

If I were buying a new bass I'd also strongly consider a short scale. I think that would be easier to play and more fun compared to the full 34" scale bass. For part time anyway.

I bought a cheap Yamaha well over a decade ago for under $100 used at Guitar Center and that thing was killer. Unfortunately I gave it to my ex. But I'd strongly look at those Yamahas as well.

I was looking at this for like $250

View attachment 3721

Just need something that can hold tune, and be good enough to run with some plugins in 30 second bursts. lol
I’m not bassist but have messed with a few for the same reason as you. I ended up with a Squier and it felt, played, and sounded like a more expensive bass. Been great for my purposes.

Lots of other good suggestions. Yamaha is a good one but I found that people were pretty proud of their used ones and couldn’t find one cheap enough for my budget at the time. (In good condition).

My PJ Talman was $200 in 2017. They're +$50 now. Sounded and played better than any of the Squire Affinity PJ Basses next to it at GC. Active preamp with a bass and treble control, Thicker neck than a J bass down at the nut which is nice for my caveman hands.

I bought it for recording but ended up using it at a few jams too.

I like the P/J idea especially if you're not looking to buy two basses

Affinity is like Squire x 2. As if Squier needed its own budget brand since Squire is not budget brand enough.

Affinity is like Squire x 2. As if Squier needed its own budget brand since Squire is not budget brand enough.

I didn’t realize Affinity was another brand by Squier, I just assumed it was a model type within their line.

I sorta like the idea of the P/J configuration (I noticed they don’t offer a PJ config on the non-Affinity Squiers) for multiple classic tones but I’d imagine with a $250 bass those pickups ain’t all that. Then again my needs are so modest to begin with it’s probably a hell of a lot better than using my guitar for bass. :ROFLMAO:

Keep in mind there is just as much variation between different basses as there is between different guitars.

A P bass is totally different from a Stingray.

It’s worth playing a few and getting a sense for what you like.

Squier Classic Vibe, Sterling, Yamaha, Sire, and Ibanez are all solid options depending on what sounds and feels best to you

Back