Captor X type of device without the reactive load?

When I read "analog filter" I get why some people get annoyed with terms like amp in the rom LOL

• 100%
Reactions: JT
The Rivera Rock Crusher Recording is a great example of why it's analog EQ filtering. It's literally filtering the signal through an 11-band EQ that ranges from 75Hz to 4Khz. Adjusting it basically tries to mimic the EQ curve of whatever particular speaker you're trying to emulate.

View attachment 20493
Exactly. An equalizer is a specific type of filter. A speaker simulation is similarly a particular type of filter that may come in analog or digital variants. Maybe I'm being pretentious using the generic "analog filter" term rather than "analog speaker sim". That certainly wasn't my goal or point:

(but this is where my heart lives?)
Schitts Creek Girl GIF by CBC

My take on analog filters for cab sims is that they can work well enough in a few scenarios:
  • As an alternative to micing a cab in a live scenario. Played loud through a PA, with the rest of the band, potentially with the real amp sound on stage reinforcing it, they can sound quite alright. I feel this is what those DI outs on most amps are for.
  • Used with clean tones direct where you aren't maybe after the most sophisticated cab sim and the analog one sounds good enough. Kind of same as plenty of records having used DI guitar for e.g funk etc.
They are certainly not built equal. The one on my BluGuitar Amp 1 ME doesn't sound bad, I think it's something like 6-7 filters together for shaping the sound. The one on my Bluetone Loadbox is pretty terrible, but it's a very simple one.

But past that, I'll take an IR any day. It sounds just like what the mic used to capture it would pick up, except you can apply it to any input. I don't see a whole lot of call for amps having analog cab sims anymore when Two Notes embedded boards exist and so do a bunch of IR loaders. I'd rather see a line out tapped from the speaker out, with no cab sim so you can apply your preferred solution.

My take on analog filters for cab sims is that they can work well enough in a few scenarios:
  • As an alternative to micing a cab in a live scenario. Played loud through a PA, with the rest of the band, potentially with the real amp sound on stage reinforcing it, they can sound quite alright. I feel this is what those DI outs on most amps are for.
  • Used with clean tones direct where you aren't maybe after the most sophisticated cab sim and the analog one sounds good enough. Kind of same as plenty of records having used DI guitar for e.g funk etc.
They are certainly not built equal. The one on my BluGuitar Amp 1 ME doesn't sound bad, I think it's something like 6-7 filters together for shaping the sound. The one on my Bluetone Loadbox is pretty terrible, but it's a very simple one.

But past that, I'll take an IR any day. It sounds just like what the mic used to capture it would pick up, except you can apply it to any input. I don't see a whole lot of call for amps having analog cab sims anymore when Two Notes embedded boards exist and so do a bunch of IR loaders. I'd rather see a line out tapped from the speaker out, with no cab sim so you can apply your preferred solution.
YOU'RE WAYYYYY TOO LATE WE'VE ALREADY MOVED PAST THIS!

There is a SERIOUS sidebar to this sidebar of a sidebar where the minutia of all this gear futzing around becomes wayyyyyyyy more of a time and soul suck then just stfu and playing the guitar :brick:rofl
Hey man this is serious business.

• 100%
Reactions: JT

I agree that analog cab sims can work and I have to say that being them passive and dead simple is a plus.

But after all, for a small amount of extra money, you can buy something that is few order of magnitude more useful in different contests.

Last edited:
CAB M+ arrived today.

I've spent half and hour with and it is a nice piece of gear. I'm bit surprised it doesn't have an on/off switch, though.

Tried it (cabs only) with the helix 2203 first and then with my 20W jubilee.

I've experimented with the greenback/celestion 4x12;
with the the mini jubilee seems to sound darker than expected, at least darker than my 2x12 cab in the room. I guess I have to compensate for it with the internal eq, being the onboard cab and my real one very different.

Tried again today and discovered that last day I had an eq turned on in protools channel I didn't noticed. That caused it being darker that expected.

I have to say that I'm impressed. I really like how it sounds with it's internal cab system.

Seems perfect for foh feed

Tried again today and discovered that last day I had an eq turned on in protools channel I didn't noticed. That caused it being darker that expected.

I have to say that I'm impressed. I really like how it sounds with it's internal cab system.

Seems perfect for foh feed

You might as well consider this (coupled with an IR loader or analog cab sim) if you prefer an analog and more tweakable power amp sim. I find this intriguing and am in the waitlist.

Axiom PAE-2

Back