Captor X type of device without the reactive load?

HotRats

Roadie
As per the title.

I'd like to avoid putting a microphone in front of my cab on stage and prefer to send an IR to FOH mixer.
I don't need a reactive load or silent recording features.
I'd like to have a simple ir loader, like a the mooer radar or TC impulse ir loader but able to take the input for the amp out.

is there anyhing like that outthere?

I'm aware there are analog passive solutions (wich are cool in their own way) like the palmer pdi03 or pdi 03jb or the palmer ilm.

Has a speaker-level input and through.

ok, thank you.
this one has also things I don't need like the C.A.B. M+ (which looks like the opus with a screen. Two Notes products always confues me, LOL).

@Enchilada Jones Using an Helix Floor in 4cm I don't really need a backup because If the amp blows I can switch to full Helix and if the Helix blows I can switch to amp only.

I might try one of the analog passive solutions on the market and see if they sound good enough

But you can just add a resistor to the output of your amp and get a line level signal that you can then plug into a mooer radar. Far cheaper ...

But you can just add a resistor to the output of your amp and get a line level signal that you can then plug into a mooer radar. Far cheaper ...

That's not a bad idea, actually.

I need to put that in a practical box.

That's not a bad idea, actually.

I need to put that in a practical box.
If you want to go that way you could create a very short instrument jumper 1/4” cord male/ female, solder the resistor inline and use heat shrink insulation to capture the resistor alongside the jumper cable you created. The Radar is decent but I doubt there is room inside to house the resistor internally. I sold my CabM+ when Opus was delivered and Radar is listed now on Gear Exchange because I like the Swiss Army knife aspect of the Opus.

Yeah, it’s certainly a catch-all product. There’s another one that I think @laxu might know about, but the name escaped me. It was strictly an IR loader, with a speaker level.
Nux Solid Studio maybe? https://www.nuxaudio.com/solid-studio.html

Otherwise I'm drawing a blank as well...

Thomas Blug used to make one too, but it appears it’s discontinued.
Yeah the BluGuitar Blubox's DSP chip is apparently discontinued or hard to get, so they discontinued the pedal. Not sure if they will make a V2 or if they are all hands full with the Amp X.

The Blubox has some really good IRs, but you can't load your own and some of the 4x12s could be better. So maybe like 80% good stuff.

Thank you guys!

I'll think about it....
from a certain point of view I like a passive all analog solution because is straightforward plug and play and doesn't need a power supply
but at the same time IRs are much more flexible and offer much more control over your sound.

here's the redbox in the GM40:
There's a different feeling compared to playing with IRs. The sound is more direct and amp-like. Don't know how to describe it but I checked the Redbox page now and they also mention this and I fully understand what they mean by that:

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 16.56.29.png

I would avoid the analog stuff. It just can't hold a candle to an IR, be it the static type or something like the Two Notes stuff. I've had the Redbox, PDI-03/09, and the Radial stuff, and all of it sounds like what it is: an analog filter, not a mic'd speaker cab.
Nah ...

here's the redbox in the GM40:
There's a different feeling compared to playing with IRs. The sound is more direct and amp-like. Don't know how to describe it but I checked the Redbox page now and they also mention this and I fully understand what they mean by that:

View attachment 20447

Would you say the OX Stomp/ Ox Box is similar? They claim to be different than IRs

So for OP maybe an OX Stomp

Last edited:
“analog filter” is empty words used by top users that have no idea what they are saying.

“analog filter” is empty words used by top users that have no idea what they are saying.
…or by folks that have been running direct for 25+ years and can listen to a clip and say “yup, sounds a lot like the way I did it in the 90s, by combing a couple of analog speaker simulations in series to get a roll-off steep enough to not sound like frying bacon, but to still sound neither like a cab, nor like a mic’ed cab.” Your clip - the playing is sold. The tone isn’t bad. But in my opinion, it would sound much better with an IR or an Ox Stomp. Or, quite honestly, the cab block of a POD 2.0.

Back