Can You Do Both EL34 & 6L6 Together?

Just looking at the specs of the V, I'd say probably not. But I'm not familiar with the circuit. I just looked up the Road King II and it does mix power tubes, but it's specifically designed that way.

Not at the same time. If you pop in EL34s you also need to run the amp in Variac mode.

g3r18RX.png

Did Mesa kill Simul Class altogether? I’m realizing I’ve not seen it in the newer amps. Hope I’m wrong.

Not at the same time. If you pop in EL34s you also need to run the amp in Variac mode.

g3r18RX.png

I'm pretty sure they added this to the manual later on, I think this was added as a "cover our asses" thing

I always ran EL34s in my V and didn't use variac power, never had any issues and sounded great :LOL:

Did Mesa kill Simul Class altogether? I’m realizing I’ve not seen it in the newer amps. Hope I’m wrong.
The Mark VII is simul-class, but you can’t mix tube types. There’s a bias switch for either 6L6 or EL34.

As for the EL34 & 6L6 together - it really is awesome and should be available in more amps. To my understanding it’s available in the simulclass Mark II, III, & IV amps, the Road King I and II, and the 2:90 power amp. I do not know about the 50/50 power amp, but I doubt it.

I have a Mark III DRG that I run in 2x6L6 and 2xEL34 and it sounds awesome, and that’s my favorite setting for heavy rhythm guitar on the RK2 as well.

The only amp I know of that will let you do both at the same time and blend them is the Mesa Road King.
The Hughes&Kettner Triamp Mk3 can run 3 pairs of power tubes, either any one of them, two of them, or all three sets together.

Then there's of course parallel single ended amps that run one powertube of various types. I used to have a little Stephenson LJ10 lunchbox that ran 1x EL84 + 1x 6V6, though you could sub the 6V6 for any octal tube. It was kind of like a mini-Trainwreck Express type thing, but had a lot of sag to it.

Egnater Rebel blends between EL84 and 6V6. Egnater Renegade does EL34 and 6L6. Even their manuals say that the difference is very subtle.

I tried an EL34 and 6L6 in it but the stock 6V6 worked the best. I feel like these power tube blending and swapping features are a bit of a waste.

Simul-class is running one pair of tubes in class A and the second pair in class A/B.
Isn’t that Mesa’s interpretation of Class A, which is more like cathode biased than proper class A? I have EL34’s and 6L6’s in my Mark III but have never had anything else in there so I have no frame of reference.

The Hughes&Kettner Triamp Mk3 can run 3 pairs of power tubes, either any one of them, two of them, or all three sets together.
Diezel Herbert can do this too

@MirrorProfiles are you referring to...

Extended Class A is a technique that uses a triode and a pentode (or beam power tetrode) on both sides of a push-pull output stage.​

Back