In my head or something else?

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Been doing a lot of straight to the return with Helix LT and Headrush MX5. On both units I always prefer like for like, in that amp models that are EL34 based sound and feel better through an EL34 powered amp, and 6L6 amp models sound and feel better through a 6L6 powered tube amp.

Trying to be objective here and I don't think it's underlying mental trickery. I mean it makes sense to my scrambled brain but it wouldn't be the first time psycho acoustics or something have fooled me. Also overall I definitely prefer a 6L6 powered amp for ALL of it, because the 6L6 amp models dont sound or feel good through EL34 power but the opposite isn't true. The thump/low end is definitely more pronounced and I have tried 3 different EL34 powered amps for this little experiment.

Anyone else have similar experiences, and/or can confirm that I'm not just imagining things?

Maybe it’s the voicing of the preamp working better with that power amp? Or something in the feel/response that’s closer to the real amp?

Back