Can’t decide between Kemper Stage or Fractal

Kemper is still very relevant, the age in this Profiling/Modelling is very relative. Kemper is old in comparison to QC, but being old means it has matured, wisened, and has lots of available profiles already. I would just think that Kemper is old if it cannot perform as well when it was released. Like, imagine using an iPhone 1, in this day and age. The thing that makes it look old, is because there has not been a newly released version, unlike the Fractal. But saying Kemper is old due to chronological age is not a real representation of its performance. Actually, it is a lot better now (with the Liquid profiling and Audio Interface capabilities), than it was years ago.

The only thing that makes it old is the appearance of the new and better Modelers and Profilers. Tonex, Fender TMP, and the Quad Cortex, which would eventually be the #1 profiler. So Kemper better release something new or it would be left behind. Tone-wise the best profiles in the Kemper can go head to head on to what Fractal, Neural DSP, and Helix can offer.

The only thing that makes it old is the appearance of the new and better Modelers and Profilers
From a "scientific" standpoint the Kemper is the least accurate out of QC and Tone X. So from a profiling machine standpoint, it is definitely showing it's age.

Now that doesn't mean it sounds bad. Not everyone cares how accurate the machine is as long as it sounds good. However, accuracy of said profile is the whole point of the device imo

Anyway seems that there is a possibility of a new Kemper in a year or two:

The Kempler Amplifier series also use an NXP chip, the DSP 56720 running at 2x200 MHz. According to the official End of Life (EOL) policy of NXP they provide supplies for 15 years from the original release date, so the chip used in Virus TI2, the DSP 56321 is available until 2020, the one in Kemper Amp DSP 56720 ends in 2023 and there is no new 56k DSP in NXP roadmap anymore.
Let's not forget that the computing power needed for an amplifier is much lower than for a synth. For example, Nord Stage 2 uses 6 Freescale 56367s. - taken from here

Hopefully, with a new and better DSP, the profiling accuracy can be improved.

Current Kemper uses this.

Last edited:
Orvishite :rofl
I was thinking more:

Screenshot_20231119-080951.png

I have the Kemper Stage and the Fractal FM9. I use them for different purposes. The FM9 is much better at high gain tones. I like the tone and feel of the Kemper for lower gain and clean tones. I still have my amps and a bunch of pedals as well. I grab whatever I need for the tone I need for the playing situation I am going to be in.

I have the Kemper Stage and the Fractal FM9. I use them for different purposes. The FM9 is much better at high gain tones. I like the tone and feel of the Kemper for lower gain and clean tones. I still have my amps and a bunch of pedals as well. I grab whatever I need for the tone I need for the playing situation I am going to be in.
Welcome to the forum!

Hahah you don’t need to state that here, no one is going to get in a pissing match. :rofl

Overall, if I think someone would prefer a simpler experience I’d suggest a Kemper. You’re at the mercy of finding profiles you’ll dig, but it’s been in existence long enough I’m sure it wouldn’t take very long to find well made profiles of those exact amps.
The fractal sounds better.

Back