But dude it's not the same..so what?

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I got into a heated discussion with a buddy over the weekend about bands that replace critical members. To me if it's a quality product still then no harm, no foul. His argument is that some bands and band members are sacred and holy and should never be replaced and if they are the band should change their name or something.

I think thats just silly. I mean even bands like Skynyrd, and Foreigner where there's either no original members or only a sparse visit from one. Both of those bands still sound good last I checked. Pretty sure Skynyrd is done now but not sure. Anywho I would love say Black Sabbath to replace Ozzy with someone who can sing like Ozzy but in key. I am the biggest Black Sabbath fan I know and I think that would be killer. Sure I wanted Bill on that last tour but Tommy did a great job and thats all that matters to me.

When Judas Priest replaced Rob Halford I reserved judgement. Ripper wasn't as good for Judas priest but it was a quality product so I enjoyed his stuff with them. Halford really can't sing any more so I think he needs replaced again. I would even go see Kiss again if it were Eric, Tommy, and 2 other guys other than Gene and Paul cos Paul especially is done and has been for awhile now. They are a very divisive product. Love/hate thing. Sure it's ostensibly a Tribute band at that point but so what? What if it's the best Tribute band you've ever seen? What if it's high quality at least? I'm in if they keep ticket prices reasonable.

I have never liked Joey or John with Anthrax but I never said "Oh it's not Anthrax without Neil Turbin LOL. I mean c'mon..

I'm sure some of you have no idea what I am talking about with these bands but I am a dyed in the wool old school rocker/metal head. I just like the music and if the replacement product can still execute the music in a high quality fashion, then I'm all in.

Ultimately it comes down to whether the band is meaningfully trying to add to the legacy of the band, or conservatively, being good stewards to the name, or are they trying to hustle a few bucks behind an iconic name.

I think it’s sort of case by case, because we’ve all seen some bands carry on respectably and some shamefully.

Ultimately it comes down to whether the band is meaningfully trying to add to the legacy of the band, or conservatively, being good stewards to the name, or are they trying to hustle a few bucks behind an iconic name.

I think it’s sort of case by case, because we’ve all seen some bands carry on respectably and some shamefully.
Hard agree. It really depends. Some members just get old and worn out, some members have dramatic exits, some pass on. Different reasons for departures affect what happens and others' perceptions of the changes.

Metallica lost Cliff Burton, who was one of the driving forces in the band, and they never did sound the same without him, but they were still Metallica when they replaced him. What if James weren't in it anymore and was replaced by someone like Matt Heafey (or anyone else really), how do you think that would be taken by fans?

Look at Creed when they parted ways with Scott Stapp, they changed their name.

I've thought about this in the context of bands who replace members gradually, for whatever reason, until no original members remain. And they continue to evolve until they're nothing like the original band. And play Vegas shows...

I suspect they wanted to start over fresh without any connection to him.
For good reason I'm sure. I didn't follow the band too closely but everyone knows about Mishap Stapp. As for the rest of the guys who didn't want to stick with the "Christian Rock" title that seemed to seep from them they sure picked a good name to differentiate themselves :wat

For good reason I'm sure. I didn't follow the band too closely but everyone knows about Mishap Stapp. As for the rest of the guys who didn't want to stick with the "Christian Rock" title that seemed to seep from them they sure picked a good name to differentiate themselves :wat
Didn’t he like disappear completely and became homeless? Or was that just a urban legend…

Didn’t he like disappear completely and became homeless? Or was that just a urban legend…

They reformed for an album around 2010, if I am not mistaken. I only know because a cover band
I was in did one of the songs. It wasn't bad, and was fun to play. I actually like the change of pace
Stapp's baritone offers in comparison to Myles being stuck in his head voice so much of the time.
Sing from your chest, son!! ;)

They reformed for an album around 2010, if I am not mistaken. I only know because a cover band
I was in did one of the songs. It wasn't bad, and was fun to play. I actually like the change of pace
Stapp's baritone offers in comparison to Myles being stuck in his head voice so much of the time.
Sing from your chest, son!! ;)

This probably belongs in the Wazzup unpopular opinions thread. But while I know Myles Kennedy is a "good" singer; I can't stand his voice at all. Also; Rock Star is a terrible movie.

I get your point OP, but I'm not sure I'm paying top dollar to see Rush without Neil Peart, or VH without Eddie, so, you just can't plug people in there and have it be "the same".

I get your point OP, but I'm not sure I'm paying top dollar to see Rush without Neil Peart, or VH without Eddie, so, you just can't plug people in there and have it be "the same".

Right. Top dollar? Nah. But if the end result and song execution is there, I'd pay 40 bucks to see it live.

Right. Top dollar? Nah. But if the end result and song execution is there, I'd pay 40 bucks to see it live.
Yup - it depends on the band and the execution.

VH without Eddie is sort of pointless, but bands like Styx and [Jefferson] Starship have made a career out of a slowly rotating lineup.

Think about it this way: Every single symphony orchestra and string quartet in the world is a "cover band", and the original players have largely been dead for centuries.

Back