Bought some YA Bogner IRs. Insert Larry David GIF

JT

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
So Raf over at GGF posted some great direct clips of the VII using some various IRs. One in particular used the YA Bogner cab. I spent $15 and grabbed the pack yesterday. Very pleased with the results. I ended up using the 421 IRs like I seem to gravitate towards in Boss land as well. Will be gigging with them on Friday so interested to see how the non-Boss tones will cut in a band mix :unsure:

The YA Bogner 4x12 is probably my most used IR over the last year and change. Mix 01 is good, 02 a little warmer, I think 05 and 10 are good as well. Really good all around.

Really like those. Sometimes I go dual IR minimum phase with one of those combined with one from his MRSH 412 T75 pack.
I started off with a few of the mixes but wasn't tripping my trigger. The one that I heard elsewhere and liked was Mix 7 (iirc) and it was ok but I seemed to prefer the raw single mic files?
The YA Bogner 4x12 is probably my most used IR over the last year and change. Mix 01 is good, 02 a little warmer, I think 05 and 10 are good as well. Really good all around.
Yeah I'm digging it. We'll see how that goes in the band mix.
Great. Another IR thread....
The Bachelor Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I started off with a few of the mixes but wasn't tripping my trigger. The one that I heard elsewhere and liked was Mix 7 (iirc) and it was ok but I seemed to prefer the raw single mic files?
I’ve been using a minimum phase single from each pack in separate IR slots. Kind of like a mish-mashed Ubercab.

I'll be honest I nearly started a thread called "I hate impulse responses" this weekend. I just can't get a good sound out of them lately and it's such a time sink. Running through the Katana return isn't perfect by any stretch but it eliminates so much of the ****ing around with picking impulses and high/low cuts and all that.

I'll be honest I nearly started a thread called "I hate impulse responses" this weekend. I just can't get a good sound out of them lately and it's such a time sink. Running through the Katana return isn't perfect by any stretch but it eliminates so much of the ****ing around with picking impulses and high/low cuts and all that.
Here's what I like about the Boss stuff. It sounds 'flat'; if 'flat' was used as a positive descriptor of something that is supposed to be more 3 dimensional (even if it's in a fake 3 dimensional way).

Most IRs I try I end up hearing the reflections and murkiness of the cabs they were shot in. The Boss IRs sound like fake eq plots that aren't made from actual speakers and I am totally fine with that :bag

Here's what I like about the Boss stuff. It sounds 'flat'; if 'flat' was used as a positive descriptor of something that is supposed to be more 3 dimensional (even if it's in a fake 3 dimensional way).

Most IRs I try I end up hearing the reflections and murkiness of the cabs they were shot in. The Boss IRs sound like fake eq plots that aren't made from actual speakers and I am totally fine with that :bag

Almost every IR I try lately is either too bright or dark or scooped or something off. Best case is that the EQ is pretty decent and I fuss with the high/low cuts until it's reasonable.

Do the Boss IR's work decently as standalone (without the "integration" of AIRD)?

Almost every IR I try lately is either too bright or dark or scooped or something off. Best case is that the EQ is pretty decent and I fuss with the high/low cuts until it's reasonable.
Yeah I prefer my IRs to just get out of the way beyond some basic tone filtering ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I know that's probably wrong on a bazillion levels but it's my story and I am sticking to it.

I still don't understand what is so special about the BOSS JT 421/Flat IRs, visually they look closer to one of the Fender speakers than a Celestion, but does it really work for you with high gain?

I still don't understand what is so special about the BOSS JT 421/Flat IRs, visually they look closer to one of the Fender speakers than a Celestion, but does it really work for you with high gain?
When you say Fender speakers; what speakers do you mean? I think my ears are just tuned to those Boss speaker emulation frequencies ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back