Boss katana 100 MKII as amp for Celestion FX12-200?

pipelineaudio

Shredder
Its not clear in the Boss manual exactly where the speaker simulator is, but I was hoping to come thru the FX return or Power amp in of this amp and put in the Celestion "FRFR" speaker.

Do you think the amp itself will be full range enough to make this work, or do you think they may have low passed (and possibly high passed) the amp noticeably

Its not clear in the Boss manual exactly where the speaker simulator is, but I was hoping to come thru the FX return or Power amp in of this amp and put in the Celestion ""FRFR"" speaker.

Do you think the amp itself will be full range enough to make this work, or do you think they may have low passed (and possibly high passed) the amp noticeably
If you bypass everything and go into the return/power amp in. It bypasses all that. Except for the global eq, which is accessed in the editor....via USB.

As long as you turn off the global EQ, it should be just the received signal.

I believe.

Tonight Show Nbc GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Given where these are in the chain, I'm a bit worried on the power amp output that it will have something on it. Ideally I could enter some place that still has volume control. Also, I believe certain guitar amps were made with low pass filters for noise and interference reasons that may go down pretty low, so not sure how flat the katana output would be

chrome_OIVTVpzLZj.png

Given where these are in the chain, I'm a bit worried on the power amp output that it will have something on it. Ideally I could enter some place that still has volume control. Also, I believe certain guitar amps were made with low pass filters for noise and interference reasons that may go down pretty low, so not sure how flat the katana output would be

View attachment 26948
I actually just hooked my unit to my PC, and the global EQ is only for the amp pre use ..as in, guitar input....it does have a hpf, and freq select, and a gain adjust....in the software, that's all that the power amp in gets ...in the mkII.

I'll go get it and give it a try. If it doesn't work, I'll use it for our school shows. 100 watt mk2 for 250, looks pretty much brand new
Honestly, not bad to have around....not the most amazing kit. But it is very versatile and good for the young people....so they can thrash it, and it isn't too expensive.
For now I just use it for my right channel....and I splicedthe output and run it to a 2 by 12.

It can be a bit noisy as an amp ...but the power amp works great and quiet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I don't believe so ...but I'm not 100%

It does the thing I need ...which is just a power amp....into a completely different cab, not "FRFR", just 2x12 cab.

I do get all my sound into from all my effects, so I could have just tuned it to my taste. Normally I cut anything below 100, and above 5 k anyway... maybe 6.

I haven't broken down the circuit, but from my understanding there isn't anything between the power amp in, and the output, other than the master volume , once the input is detected. I could be completely wrong.

Last edited:
I got the amp and tried this last night. Not too sure what to think. The Celestion F12 X200 sounds about exactly like it does in the fender mustang or using the Duncan Powerstage. The power amp input distorts pretty bad if I set my Helix output level to just before halfway or higher, and I actually have the output set to instrument level and for all the way up to be unity gain. I tried a Tonex straight into the power amp and same issue. This doesn't happen with the fender mustang FX return. I set the global EQ to affect only the speaker out, put a low pass on, and now I can use it as an amp if need be. Its not perfect, but not bad.

I'll give it a try as "FRFR" over the next few weeks and see if I like it better than my Alto TS410. I was hoping the concentric mounted tweeter would help with the directiviity of the Alto 2 way, but really, that's never been that bad, and the F12-X200 doesn't seem that much better. I think the Alto may be flatter, or I'm distorting the speaker more than I expect

Last edited:
Interesting to hear.

I have never had the distorted issues you mentioned....but I'm pretty finicky about gain levels ....this seems unusual.

I need to recheck my boost level but I’m pretty sure full clockwise is set for unity. I’ll double check.
I run my boss unit all the way up on the master, and use my multi effect to adjust volume.....and i turn it up to 8 and it is insanely loud and clear ...with headroom to spare. Hope you get it sorted, as you shouldn't be experiencing these issues.

Last edited:
Each preset has n the katana allows for two eqs which I don’t really need as the top basic eq works fine for me. I’d love to find a good curve and eq settings between the two where I can somewhat decently mod the sound to make the celestion "FRFR" speaker sound like a regular 12” guitar speaker. I’m using the low pass and a few bumps and dips and it’s ok, but I bet someone like @James Freeman could knock it put of the park. I wish the katana had an impulse loader!

Last edited:
I didnt realize it had a switch called "stereo expand" on so maybe thats the distortion issue, we shall see

I'm going to do a live stream now trying to match an impulse with the onboard EQ's so that it can still be a cool amp for regular guitar when not used as "FRFR"

I didnt realize it had a switch called "stereo expand" on so maybe thats the distortion issue, we shall see

I'm going to do a live stream now trying to match an impulse with the onboard EQ's so that it can still be a cool amp for regular guitar when not used as ""FRFR""
Mine doesn't have that. As it is the 50 watt combo, that I use as a head/power amp.

So maybe? Hope you have luck

Switching that expand switch off seems to have fixed the distortion issue! This thing is awesome. I tried a few curves from the fractal forum to deal with the 5.5khz dip in the Celestion F12. I have it on the Helix global EQ for my monitor speakers only, not for the PA, seems to work well
Awesome! Glad to hear that.....I knew you'd suss it out.

Back