BluGuitar AmpX = July 25, 2023

Thomas Blug - Most unpunctual German EVER

Angry Good Morning GIF by PEEKASSO

Still interested. Not to buy, but to see how it turns out.
He wasn't born right near the french border for nothin'. 😂

I prefer the sound of the Mercury Edition because it's less aggressive, but otherwise my only beef is not having dedicated EQ for the clean channel. I instead end up using my ME more like a switchable voice single channel amp and just dialing that channel to perfection. I mostly live on the Vintage channel and it works beautifully as a clean channel too by rolling your guitar volume down.

I kinda wish they had gone with the dual channel "Amp 2" concept Blug showed on paper in one of his livestreams. It was basically a dual channel Amp 1 with individual EQs. Would be probably out by now.

Otherwise I totally agree with you. I pretty much never use overdrives with the Amp 1 because the built in boost is good enough and it has a whopping ton of gain in the first place. The noise gate is good enough, the only additions you need are tuner, reverb and delay.

The Iridium Edition has some small conveniences that I miss on my ME. Turning on the reverb changes the noise gate from hard to soft so you can do your metal riffage, then kick on a bit of reverb for your solo sound without fear of your notes getting cut out. Being able to turn off the analog cab sim makes the recording out more useful too.

The Amp 1 series is just full of little things that make total sense, but the old school bright caps at least on the ME make it maybe work a bit less well for "volume & tone on 10" people.
Interesting. I would love an Amp2 as you describe it even more than an AmpX.

Interesting. I would love an Amp2 as you describe it even more than an AmpX.
I don't think it will happen anytime soon, if ever. From what I remember Blug said it kinda ballooned from that concept to the Amp X so it can have both Amp 1 sounds in one box etc.

Ola is good fun.
Have you seen Euge from Cyhra's videos on it? That was also helpful it getting me to make the jump.

Here's a recent one with his touring rig.

Last edited:
Ola is good fun.
Have you seen Euge from Cyhra's video on it? That was also helpful it getting me to make the jump.
Yeah that's a good one too.

I just really love Ola getting scared by the sheer volume of the amp.

I think the Amp1 Iridium is literally THE most slept on devices for hard rock and metal. It's way less choice, than a modeler, but it's dialed in SO well I don't care. It's light, durable, truly arena loud if you want. It does all the basics we need really, really well - clean, dirty and lead.

It can do British rock 70s, thrash 80s, up to seven string 2020s. It has a boost, reverb, and a gate built in.

You can run it for three presets or for two presets with reverb and boost on/off. Whatever is better use of three switches for you. So smart!

The only other thing I need to do a show that isn't the guitar or a cab? Is a tuner.

It's hard to see anything being better even if it is "more" b/c then the inevitable tradeoffs of "more" kick in.

I love my Fractal FM9T but I also love my Amp1 when I just want ready to go and analog knobs. Both great, great tools.

Wait, both BlueAmp and Strymon have an Iridium amp product? Isn't there another element they could use? :)

I've always wanted to try the BlueAmp stuff. Sounds super easy/no fuss, the way you describe it.

Last edited:
The company is called "BluGuitar", the product is called "Amp1". There's nothing called "BluAmp".
timbuck insists on calling it that, but that's simply incorrect. Sorry, it bugs the shit out of me. :rofl

But yeah, the two current versions of the Amp1 are "Mercury" and "Iridium."

I kinda wish they had gone with the dual channel "Amp 2" concept Blug showed on paper in one of his livestreams. It was basically a dual channel Amp 1 with individual EQs. Would be probably out by now.
This would be awesome......in a cab-top shell. None of this floor shit.

The company is called "BluGuitar", the product is called "Amp1". There's nothing called "BluAmp".
timbuck insists on calling it that, but that's simply incorrect. Sorry, it bugs the shit out of me. :rofl

But yeah, the two current versions of the Amp1 are "Mercury" and "Iridium."
isnt it blu ampx? sorry

Thomas Blug îs the founder, and a really interesting and musical dude.
Amp1, which comes in different editions, and the pending AmpX are products.

Last edited:
I had the more modern model for a hot minute. Can’t remember the name. Sounded pretty good but the mids had a cocked wah thing going on which can be cool but not if you can’t dial any dial of it out or unhear it. Cool concept and I may have liked the first version that’s more classic sounding. I probably won’t be trying this.

Last edited:
Back