BluGuitar AmpX = July 25, 2023

Fireproof

Shredder

Good grief - 2.5 hours and they didn’t even touch the AmpX sitting in front of them or do a demo or anything. Apparently they are saying it’s going to be available July 25, 2023, but the video was too long and boring for me to watch so I skimmed through it quickly.

Maybe someone else who has more patience can give us any more TLDR Conclusions?

Good grief - 2.5 hours and they didn’t even touch the AmpX sitting in front of them or do a demo or anything.

I watched that live, and I'm pretty sure that the intro playing was demoing the AmpX - you can see Thomas toggling the footswitches with his hands. He plays with a built-in AmpX delay very briefly around 1:45 too.

Fair enough though, there should have been a lot more. Especially when they're saying "we have this circuits that change on the fly to mimic any drive pedal". Surely they have a couple working? Would have liked to have seen a couple of wildly different amps demoed too. Thomas does turn on a drive during the intro, but he doesn't refer to it later or say what it was.

I still have a lot of time for Thomas though. We have an Amp1 here and it gets played a good deal.

Last edited:
I watched that live, and I'm pretty sure that the intro playing was demoing the AmpX - you can see Thomas toggling the footswitches with his hands. He plays with a built-in AmpX delay very briefly around 1:45 too.

Fair enough though, there should have been a lot more. Especially when they're saying "we have this circuits that change on the fly to mimic any drive pedal". Surely they have a couple working? Would have liked to have seen a couple of wildly different amps demoed too.

I still have a lot of time for Thomas though. We have an Amp1 here and it gets played a good deal.
Yeah, I know the playing was (hopefully) a working AmpX. I just thought in 2.5 hours, they would’ve zoomed in on the unit, done a bit of a walkthrough and at least demoed switching between some tones or tweaking a tone or something. If they feel confident enough to commit to a July date this year, surely they have it developed to the point where they can show more than they have so far!

Maybe someone else who has more patience can give us any more TLDR Conclusions?

AmpX looks promising. I watched most of the live stream other day. They spend most of the video stepping through the history of the design with some technical detail. And explaining some setbacks and realisations that caused changes in the design. It's interesting if you're a technical geek, probably not for everybody.

We know that Thomas can deliver on the amp tones. But I at the end of the video, I found myself wondering if they've taken on a lot of risk with a very daring design with digitally controlled analog circuits, especially at this price point. Personally, I feel nervous for them; the stakes are high and they're a small company. I wonder if anyone else that watched it felt that way?

Also, for the built-in digital effects (time-based etc.) which are a major selling point of the unit at this significantly higher price, they are up against the likes of Fractal, Strymon, L6, Source Audio etc., companies that have far greater experience coding and perfecting these sorts of algorithms. Still, I hope it all works out for them.

The AmpX will have a much better direct recording feature which was one of the weak points of the Amp1 which excels when connected to a speaker, but not so much for direct out.

I'm interested in the AmpX for sure. If I hadn't already bought an FM9, I would probably have given it a go, when released. Probably too late for that now. On the other hand, like the Amp1, the AmpX solves the Amp where I'm at problem, because it's already an Amp where I'm at with its power section. So comparing it to the FM9 is Apples and Oranges... or maybe Kumquats

Last edited:
It’s a cool concept, reminds me a lot of the CyberTwin

The big problem I have with it is that they didn’t make the knobs motorized. That pretty much makes presets useless for me.

For anything with presets for me it’s gotta either be endless encoders with a digital display (like Helix and all the rest) or the knobs have to be motorized.

I on the other hand loved the video and it was interesting seeing where they started and what kind of challenges they had along the way. I would expect they leave showing off the capabilities of the unit to NAMM where they can properly demo the final product.

I also love that they are realistic about the Amp X capabilities. People asked if the fx will be on the level of Fractal or Strymon and they said that it will take time and effort so out of the box they will sound good, but some of the reverb/modulation won't emulate a particular real world device. Seems they have put a good bit of effort into the delays though. Everything is still adjusted until Thomas Blug is happy using them. I think he has a real good ear for guitar tones so I expect the Amp X will sound very good.

I think people often underestimate the effort to reach the level of say Strymon who have taken a lot of time and effort to develop their effects, probably like 1+ years per pedal depending on their complexity. Then people expect that any newcomer should be able to match or surpass them right out of the box.

Expect it to be a 4 channel amp with an exceptionally flexible set of sounds + effects. It's never going to do as much stuff as your current favorite digital modeler but it might just do more than enough for you.

I'm still probably not buying the Amp X because I already have a very nice Strymon pedalboard + Amp 1 ME that does it for me. All I want to add to that rig is a good cab sim solution. I had the BluBox and its IRs are actually excellent, but the lack of adjustment was too much of an issue for my uses. If they make a BluBox V2 like they seem to have hinted, that could work for me depending on the feature set.

This is very intriguing ....

Just spit-balling here ... but if its going to be available to buy on July 25, given all the electronics production hassles very small companies [like Fractal] are having .... the "release unit" is going to have to be start being manufactured and "stock levels built" commencing April at the latest.

If I'm remotely on the money with the above timeline ...... Thomas must (?) already have almost-feature-complete unit(s) to mess with already -and- probably has had for a little while.

All of this is to say that, I'm "surprised" that in this 2.5 hours promo [ !!! ] video he didn't even specifically demo 2 or 3 classic Amps, 2 or 3 classic pedals, maybe few BlugPrints, or demonstrate "his" IR technology which the website says is revolutionary and solves the static IR problem - my guess is that the reason he didn't is that things are still some-way-off.

I.m.o this is going to require a monumental effort to get release-ready-stable, fully featured units in stores and buy-able by July 25 .... and I'm talking Germany .... let alone Europe, the US and Asia.

If my memory serves me correctly, we've had [nearly (?)] 2 years of pre-hype already .... and still another [at least] 6 months to go .... given how good even a basic Nux Amp Academy* sounds and feels now / already, many people just aren't going to easily buy the whole "the ultimate is coming, just wait for it" story-line any more .... we don't even have any remote ball-park info on the Amp / EFX / IR count, how many Amps and EFX and IR's it can run, how many total blocks it can run, the routing, how much BluPrints will likely cost, when will the BluPrint "shop" open etc....... he must already know all this stuff and to not even "hint" at it or "subtly" leak some general specs is, again, "surprising".

I think getting your hands on one of these is going to make the FM3 / FM9 / QC wait-times look like instant gratification :(

Hoping for Thomas I am wrong !

Ben

* - not to side-track this topic, but I've had one for ~ 3 weeks and its tone and feel and dynamics are [shockingly] simply astonishing .... I'll be posting a review soon once my Midi Controller for it arrives .... but I digress :)

This is very intriguing ....

Just spit-balling here ... but if its going to be available to buy on July 25, given all the electronics production hassles very small companies [like Fractal] are having .... the "release unit" is going to have to be start being manufactured and "stock levels built" commencing April at the latest.
Afaik they are doing a small preorder run initially, probably mainly in Europe. So realistically I'd expect it to be available in Q3/Q4.

If I'm remotely on the money with the above timeline ...... Thomas must (?) already have almost-feature-complete unit(s) to mess with already -and- probably has had for a little while.
The unit in the video is rev C. The near-final is rev E. So they basically have the near final revision done and of course they can already have a lot of stuff ready and manufactured and then slap the latest gen PCB in there.
All of this is to say that, I'm "surprised" that in this 2.5 hours promo [ !!! ] video he didn't even specifically demo 2 or 3 classic Amps, 2 or 3 classic pedals, maybe few BlugPrints, or demonstrate "his" IR technology which the website says is revolutionary and solves the static IR problem - my guess is that the reason he didn't is that things are still some-way-off.
It's more of a "history of Amp X" video. It's not meant to be a demo of it, I'm sure they will do those later. He said in the video that the IR stuff is already done and you heard it when he played the unit.
If my memory serves me correctly, we've had [nearly (?)] 2 years of pre-hype already .... and still another [at least] 6 months to go .... given how good even a basic Nux Amp Academy* sounds and feels now / already, many people just aren't going to easily buy the whole "the ultimate is coming, just wait for it" story-line any more .... we don't even have any remote ball-park info on the Amp / EFX / IR count, how many Amps and EFX and IR's it can run, how many total blocks it can run, the routing, how much BluPrints will likely cost, when will the BluPrint "shop" open etc....... he must already know all this stuff and to not even "hint" at it or "subtly" leak some general specs is, again, "surprising".
There's a specific set of users that will find this the most appealing. It's not necessarily the same folks who want a Fractal or some other digital modeler. I see the appeal of this for the following groups:
  • Those who consider having an as analog as possible signal path important. I am not one of them.
  • Those who find current modelers either hard to use (too many menus etc) or find them overkill for their needs (if you need a couple of sounds and fx, you don't need everything ever made).
  • Those who want a unit they can take as one unit and plug into a guitar cab for live use. This is pretty much what Thomas wants out of it and the rest is secondary. No need to find the right poweramp to amplify the thing, all handled by one unit.

They have posted a preliminary guide to the Amp X. It seems to be missing some info but there's already some things you will find interesting.

Note that the below is based on what is in the guide as well as my own speculation. It could be wrong.

Signal chain

Everything in blue is digital fx. I believe the fx chain will be more fixed so you might not be able to reorder these and to me there isn't a real need to do so either as this is how most would set up a standard fx chain.

Guitar -> Wah -> Boost/comp -> Drive/fuzz -> "Special" -> Modulation -> Delay -> Reverb -> Amp -> Fx send (mono) -> Fx return (stereo) -> Modulation -> Delay -> Reverb -> Cab -> Outputs

Editing

The front panel guide is not very thorough yet, but I assume this is how it's going to work:
  1. Press one of the 04 buttons (Pedal/Amp/Fx/Cab) to quickly go to the relevant block. Fast!
  2. Use 08 knob/button to select an fx type and model, possibly toggle it on/off, maybe scroll between sets of parameters shown in 02 controls. How well this works remains to be seen.
  3. Use knobs 02 "X Controls" to edit the chosen effect. More parameters can be accessed, and deeper editing performed, using the incremental knob/button and AMPX's main display screen.
  4. You can toggle drive, boost, mod and delay on/off on the fly with buttons 12, 13, 17 and 19 if they are not programmed on e.g footswitches.
  5. The settings of all knobs except MASTER can be stored in presets.
  6. When a new preset is recalled, the stored values are recalled, but the physical position of the knobs remains in the last selected position.
  7. When a knob is moved, its current value is shown in the OLED display. The stored value is also shown. The display now shows the approximation of both values. In this way, you can see exactly where the slider was saved in the preset. This seems like a pretty decent way to handle presets, even if it's not able to show you your settings right off the bat but you could always hit e.g the Amp button to probably see more.
Interesting bit is that with the flap closed the bass/middle/treble/presence controls will work as a post-EQ, just like they do on the Amp 1. With the flap open, they will control the amp tonestack. I'm not sure I love the flap open/closed behavior here so I hope there is a way to toggle between the two while keeping the flap open.

This is a departure from the Amp 1 where the tiny side "custom controls" would blend between two preset tone stacks while the EQ was similar post EQ. I can say this approach is massively versatile because I can dial the Amp 1 to sound like so many amps just by varying the EQ and side knobs. I guess the idea with the Amp X is that you dial your amp tones at rehearsal, and use the post-EQ controls to fit it to work in a particular venue. E.g if you have a room that is too bright, you can turn down the treble or presence to combat this and it applies to all your presets.

The Amp X channel select says "Choose between the chosen amp’s Modern, Classic, Vintage and Clean channels." I assume you can assign any 4 channels here that can then be switched between considering many amps don't have 4 channels. Would make it pretty fast to edit each channel to your liking.

Here's a small screenshot I captured from the short promo video on the Amp X product page:

1673100874508.png

This is probably the view you see if you press the Home button 06. Preset name and fx chain. The knob most likely moves between the bottom row blocks, pressing it selects it and lets you edit it or choose a model.

Footswitching

AMPX also has a freely assignable foot switch concept, which allows you to save and recall up to two presets per switch, and freely assign switching (e.g. pedal On/Off switches) and control functions. If you need more switches, you can do this by using a BluGuitar REMOTE or an external MIDI controller, and these will also be part of your programmable rig.

This seems like a very smart approach where you could have e.g switching between 4 presets with two footswitches and 4 on/off toggles for fx. I feel this is more than enough for most usecases and obviously you can program things differently (maybe preset inc/dec on one switch?).

I'm glad that BluGuitar has stuck to using their Amp 1 switches here too because those feel just as good when used with a foot or hand and they are afaik also pretty easily user replaceable should they break or get damaged, though obviously not an off-the-shelf part.

Outputs

I think you are pretty well covered here. You could build a wet/dry/wet + FOH rig by running the main line outs to a PA, the stereo out to a stereo poweramp and two cabs and the main speaker out to a cab. Blug has said you can assign IRs to different outputs so some of these could use cab sims and others not. There's also a mono send, stereo return fx loop for any pedals you might want to use.

---

I've been trying to tell people not to treat this unit as a Helix, Axe-Fx/FMx or similar competitor. It's more like an amp with fx rather than a virtual studio in a box. I think people who want to replace their Axe-Fx 3 with it will be disappointed but many will love it for its more straightforward approach.

I think my biggest concern is how well selecting stuff and editing fx will work on it. The tiny screen, one knob approach is often full of compromises. I don't think they will release with an editor app for it when the hardware comes for sale but expect they will have one when the Blugprint stuff gets released.

"I've been trying to tell people not to treat this unit as a Helix, Axe-Fx/FMx or similar competitor."

This is going to be tough for a LOT of people. Myself duly noted. Given the price point and it's competition is essentially the Boss Katana given whatthey are trying to market it as. Fixed loop location for me is a deal-breaker.

So it’s an analog amp modeler, with digital effects + some mechanic to be able to create/match any amp tone you want - full analog?

So it’s an analog amp modeler, with digital effects + some mechanic to be able to create/match any amp tone you want - full analog?
Some of the pre-effects are also completely analog. Fuzz, overdrive/distortion, compressor etc. So technically it should be capable of also replicating many drive pedals.

BluGuitar basically has built a digitally controllable set of analog effects and amp. For example my Strymon Compadre is also an analog signal path, digitally controllable compressor and boost pedal so the concept is nothing new. Nobody has just done it as a multifx unit and amp in one box to my knowledge.

I've put the Amp 1 Mercury Edition against the latest Fractal firmware and honestly can't tell a real difference whether I run into real cab using the Amp 1 poweramp or using Axe-Fx 3 cab sims (with a loadbox on the Amp 1). Which is a testament to both companies' abilities.

Some of the pre-effects are also completely analog. Fuzz, overdrive/distortion, compressor etc. So technically it should be capable of also replicating many drive pedals.

BluGuitar basically has built a digitally controllable set of analog effects and amp. For example my Strymon Compadre is also an analog signal path, digitally controllable compressor and boost pedal so the concept is nothing new. Nobody has just done it as a multifx unit and amp in one box to my knowledge.

I've put the Amp 1 Mercury Edition against the latest Fractal firmware and honestly can't tell a real difference whether I run into real cab using the Amp 1 poweramp or using Axe-Fx 3 cab sims (with a loadbox on the Amp 1). Which is a testament to both companies' abilities.

That’s pretty intriguing. Very curious to see a run through on a prototype.

I hope it's a hit, the concept is cool. Should have been stereo though! :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: JT
I actually don’t understand why it needs to have any effects at all? Why can’t it just be an amp?

I would buy this in a second if it was an analog 4 channel amp with footswitches to select channels and either individual knobs for each channel or motorized knobs that move to the settings of the selected channel, or encoders with a digital display of the values. Maybe throw in reverb and tremolo and a footswitch to turn that on/off.

I don’t see why every device has to try to do everything all in one box

I actually don’t understand why it needs to have any effects at all? Why can’t it just be an amp?

I would buy this in a second if it was an analog 4 channel amp with footswitches to select channels and either individual knobs for each channel or motorized knobs that move to the settings of the selected channel, or encoders with a digital display of the values. Maybe throw in reverb and tremolo and a footswitch to turn that on/off.

I don’t see why every device has to try to do everything all in one box
Especially if they are going to end up having compromises anyway?

Yeah I would rather have a handful of programmable loops and a stereo power amp than all the built in effects.

Back