BluGuitar AmpX = July 25, 2023

I think it's a cool product, but it's hard for me to see who this is for. I guess some people really just have an aversion to digital but still want some flexibility in their amp? How can you not compare this to a modeler with a power stage though?

I on the other hand loved the video and it was interesting seeing where they started and what kind of challenges they had along the way.
In hindsight my comment came off pretty negative, didn’t it?

I do agree that it’s cool to hear the history and watch these types of “making of” videos. I’ll probably find time to watch it all when I am not so busy. But I just expected more of the current state of the unit and some demoing than I saw so was a bit frustrated.

In hindsight my comment came off pretty negative, didn’t it?

I do agree that it’s cool to hear the history and watch these types of “making of” videos. I’ll probably find time to watch it all when I am not so busy. But I just expected more of the current state of the unit and some demoing than I saw so was a bit frustrated.
All good! I feel like that's a majority of their videos? I'm sure some out there enjoy it and hopefully once it gets closer to launch they will advertise it more

Yeah, those livestreams Thomas does are historically very long and detailed, so he does get lost in the weeds occasionally. Ok, quite a lot. lol

I’ve loved watching them in the past when I was researching the Amp1 initially because it’s nice to hear a great player use this stuff and have it recorded properly. Plus he knows everything about the devices themselves and can make them sound their best (*cough*Andertons).

I like the concept for AmpX and hope it is successful, but it is 100% overkill for me personally. The standard Amp1 does everything I want a guitar amp to do, and I only really use two or three effects pedals total. I almost wish Bluguitar would release a little head version of the Amp1 so I could save even more floor space. Like the H&K Black Spirit head, somewhat ironically. :grin

Last edited:
I actually don’t understand why it needs to have any effects at all? Why can’t it just be an amp?

I would buy this in a second if it was an analog 4 channel amp with footswitches to select channels and either individual knobs for each channel or motorized knobs that move to the settings of the selected channel, or encoders with a digital display of the values. Maybe throw in reverb and tremolo and a footswitch to turn that on/off.

I don’t see why every device has to try to do everything all in one box
It's the classic "well, we threw in a digital processor, might as well use it for a lot of effects as well" which then grows into a more complex unit. Considering it has a good amount of analog hardware, it's possible that people would be complaining "why is it so big" if it only had the analog parts and a cab sim.

For "just the amp" there is always the Amp 1 series. While it's not going to support all the stuff the Amp X does, it's very versatile.

I assume that motorized knobs would not fit in this form factor. The analog pots are clearly hooked up to digital control similar to how they are on a Strymon pedal.

As great as I think these amps sound, I have ZERO interest in an amplifier at my feet, let alone a $2000 one. f**k that. Give me a small head.
Why not? I have the Amp 1 on my pedalboard and the setup can go on top of something or it can be at my feet. I think the form factor just makes it more versatile where it can work well in multiple setups. Don't want it at your feet? Plug in a MIDI controller and put the Amp X on top of your favorite cab.

Why not? I have the Amp 1 on my pedalboard and the setup can go on top of something or it can be at my feet. I think the form factor just makes it more versatile where it can work well in multiple setups. Don't want it at your feet? Plug in a MIDI controller and put the Amp X on top of your favorite cab.
Because I don’t want something like that on the floor where people can spill shit on and/or trip over, and if I put it on my cab, I want the controls on the front. The H&K Spirit 200 is a great way to do it, where they offer it both ways. Too bad it sounds like a hot bag of ass. :D

I would buy this in a second if it was an analog 4 channel amp with footswitches to select channels and either individual knobs for each channel or motorized knobs that move to the settings of the selected channel, or encoders with a digital display of the values.
Do you mean that you cant save settings for each preset? I wouldn't like that either.

Do you mean that you cant save settings for each preset? I wouldn't like that either.
I think you can. But I think it works like some modeling amps, where you dial the knobs to desired settings, and save the preset. It remembers those settings but when you switch to a new preset - the values change, but the knobs don’t. So like, Bass on current preset is at 8. You change to new preset and it had Bass saved as 4. But the knob is still showing 8. Once you move the knob - then it overrides the saved value and becomes the value on the knob. A little clunky of a process, but works. Although some don’t like that because you can’t see what those saved values were…. If that makes sense.

The AmpX really seems geared towards the gigging musician that doesn’t want to deal with anything. Which I get, but it wouldn’t be my choice. I personally don’t care for all-in-one solutions when it comes to amps+effects.

The AmpX really seems geared towards the gigging musician that doesn’t want to deal with anything. Which I get, but it wouldn’t be my choice. I personally don’t care for all-in-one solutions when it comes to amps+effects.
The problem for me is this is NOT an all-in-one solution. It’s a “some-in-one”. I was initially intrigued, primarily because I tend to use about 4 different amps most of the time. So 4 amps in one seemed appealing. But the more I learned about the effects, it appears they are going to be too limited for me. Not that I use a lot all the time, but I do like playing with different effects and checking out “what else is possible” - and I think from that aspect, the AmpX would frustrate me and seem too limited really quickly.

For me - the FM9 truly is “all-in-one” and I haven’t yet come up with something I wanted to do that I can’t do. And there are still tons of things I haven’t explored yet. I haven’t even gotten through all the new GOT artist blocks that were gifted to us…

Yeah, what @Fireproof said above.

I can’t stand any device where you can save presets but can’t see the values saved, and can’t tweak values and have it start from where it was previously set.

That kind of thing made me give up on digital for a long time and I’ll never go back to any device that works that way again

Looks like an Iridium XL?
I'm interested in the AmpX for sure. If I hadn't already bought an FM9, I would probably have given it a go, when released. Probably too late for that now. On the other hand, like the Amp1, the AmpX solves the Amp where I'm at problem, because it's already an Amp where I'm at with its power section. So comparing it to the FM9 is Apples and Oranges... or maybe Kumquats

I was interested in the Iridium. I'm still looking for a decent amp/effects solution that is light and will not take up too much space in my carry on when also loaded with a weekend's worth of clothes and toiletries.

But at $2K it's a non-starter for me. I like that the Amp 1 line has an amplifier built in, that's a major plus. But like Jello, since I have a FM9 spending $2K on an Amp X doesn't make a lot of sense for me.

Yeah, what @Fireproof said above.

I can’t stand any device where you can save presets but can’t see the values saved, and can’t tweak values and have it start from where it was previously set.

That kind of thing made me give up on digital for a long time and I’ll never go back to any device that works that way again
Its probably just me, but I dont like the idea of motorized knobs. Just one more thing to break.

The problem for me is this is NOT an all-in-one solution. It’s a “some-in-one”. I was initially intrigued, primarily because I tend to use about 4 different amps most of the time. So 4 amps in one seemed appealing. But the more I learned about the effects, it appears they are going to be too limited for me. Not that I use a lot all the time, but I do like playing with different effects and checking out “what else is possible” - and I think from that aspect, the AmpX would frustrate me and seem too limited really quickly.

For me - the FM9 truly is “all-in-one” and I haven’t yet come up with something I wanted to do that I can’t do. And there are still tons of things I haven’t explored yet. I haven’t even gotten through all the new GOT artist blocks that were gifted to us…
My view is the opposite. I find that I don't need every option ever, I only need a subset of that stuff. So a lot of things in my Axe-Fx 3 goes unused.

The modeler market basically has "dead simple" (e.g Strymon Iridium) and "very complex" (Helix, Fractal etc) but not much in between that is a more curated experience with a more limited feature set. I feel like Amp X could find its niche in that area.

I think the only real fix for the knob thing and presets would be if there were to do a two digit LCD readout (like on the Triaxis) and then rotary encoders for each parameter. However, that’s obviously going to introduce significant cost there.

I think the only real fix for the knob thing and presets would be if there were to do a two digit LCD readout (like on the Triaxis) and then rotary encoders for each parameter. However, that’s obviously going to introduce significant cost there.
Yup. I think their solution does seem quite alright: show saved vs current value at the same time when you turn the knob. That's probably good enough in practice. Analog knobs have a nicer feel to them too.

Yup. I think their solution does seem quite alright: show saved vs current value at the same time when you turn the knob. That's probably good enough in practice. Analog knobs have a nicer feel to them too.
Aren’t people somewhat conditioned already for the behavior to be that the value will “jump” once you move the knob from where it’s at in a preset anyway? I guess I am, after a couple decades with modelers.

Back