BluGuitar AmpX = July 25, 2023

Aren’t people somewhat conditioned already for the behavior to be that the value will “jump” once you move the knob from where it’s at in a preset anyway? I guess I am, after a couple decades with modelers.
This depends on if they implement it like that or use a "catch up" type function where you have to go up to the preset value first.

I do feel endless rotary encoders with a LED ring like on the X Controls would have been a better choice for the amp controls too but that might be a cost and space question.

BluGuitar AmpX = July 25, 2023​

Aw, they planned it for my birthday, isn't that nice of them.

Happy Birthday GIF by The Simpsons

Aren’t people somewhat conditioned already for the behavior to be that the value will “jump” once you move the knob from where it’s at in a preset anyway? I guess I am, after a couple decades with modelers.

I always hated that behavior in the old modelers. I’ve been so glad that the modern modelers don’t do that annoying sh*t anymore and personally I’ll never again spend money on a device that behaves that way.

That’s just my personal thing. That’s a huge deal breaker for me

I always hated that behavior in the old modelers. I’ve been so glad that the modern modelers don’t do that annoying sh*t anymore and personally I’ll never again spend money on a device that behaves that way.

That’s just my personal thing. That’s a huge deal breaker for me
BUT WILL YOU SPEND $2000+ ON ONE?!?!?!?

anyone still interested in this? i was but not so much now
I'd say I'm actually leaning more towards it now.

I've been playing my BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition a lot lately, either through my Nanocab at home or taking it with me when visiting my parents - my 4x10 cab is in their basement for the time being since I don't have space at home and it would be too loud anyway.

In any case, if you have seen the recent "modelers losing their luster" thread, I've been thinking about how much I really need. I keep coming back to the pretty much the same setup no matter if it's pedals or a modeler. Marshall with Greenbacks, a bit of tape echo for leads, a plate reverb here and there. Add the odd overdrive and modulation and I'm good.

So this brings me to the Amp X. These are the things that appeal to me:
  • Largely fixed signal path. I don't care too much about switching this even on my Axe-Fx 3, so Amp X's way works fine.
  • All the amp sounds I already enjoy with my Amp 1. And more. I seriously don't need anything more than that.
  • Built in poweramp makes plugging it into a cab convenient, no faffing about with "what's the best poweramp for this thing?" stuff.
  • Stock IRs should be good. I liked about 80% of the ones on the Blubox and could easily live with those, so not having virtual mics etc "modern tech" is not that big a deal. I can always roll some IRs from ML Sound Lab MIKKO 2 if needed, or use my York Audio collection.
  • If it has at least a good plate reverb and tape echo, I'm going to be happy enough with fx.
  • Supposed to be flexible with its outputs. You could run e.g DI with and without cab sims for recording, use the outputs for wet/dry/wet rigs and more. That sounds very practical.
The things that my current Amp 1 doesn't do are IRs and having different settings for the clean channel so I use it mostly more like a single channel amp. The Amp X should sort those things out, but it is larger and more expensive.

I don't see the Amp X appealing at all to those who want hundreds of fx and amps and cabs. I see it more like something that fits between e.g boutique tube heads (2000-3000 euros) and modelers that has its toes in both worlds but still does its own thing.

Thomas Blug has said that we should hear more about the Amp X at Winter NAMM 2024, but I hope that means it's close to ready to be released. I fear the company has bit more than it can chew and should have been a bit less ambitious.

1702240915938.png

I really wish Blug or someone would come out with an amp like this, for guitarists. Yes, I’m aware of the DV Mark stuff, but honestly it can’t touch the Blug stuff in terms of tone. But I can’t stand floor amps. They’re stupid, and make too many compromises to be so tiny. The side controls on the Amp1, for instance. Put more of that on the face of the amp like the Mesa Subway, and just make a tiny 7 pound head.

View attachment 15559
I really wish Blug or someone would come out with an amp like this, for guitarists. Yes, I’m aware of the DV Mark stuff, but honestly it can’t touch the Blug stuff in terms of tone. But I can’t stand floor amps. They’re stupid, and make too many compromises to be so tiny. The side controls on the Amp1, for instance. Put more of that on the face of the amp like the Mesa Subway, and just make a tiny 7 pound head.
Cockatoo U Wot M8 GIF
imagine GIF

Ya givin' me shit about me massive halfstack m8?

bluguitar-nanocab-jpg.13491

That said, I do agree. I get why Blug has opted for that form factor since he uses it like a pedalboard rig but I'd also rather have something a bit more like that Mesa Subway or the Yamaha THR100HD. I'm still bummed Yamaha did not make a 2nd gen THR100HD because it had a lot of good ideas but just missed out on the execution in various ways.

I also agree about the side controls. I've glued some small stickers where the tone knobs are because they are generally impossible to see and find otherwise. Thankfully all of them are at least "set and forget" stuff rather than something you fiddle with all the time.

Cockatoo U Wot M8 GIF
imagine GIF

Ya givin' me shit about me massive halfstack m8?

bluguitar-nanocab-jpg.13491

That said, I do agree. I get why Blug has opted for that form factor since he uses it like a pedalboard rig but I'd also rather have something a bit more like that Mesa Subway or the Yamaha THR100HD. I'm still bummed Yamaha did not make a 2nd gen THR100HD because it had a lot of good ideas but just missed out on the execution in various ways.

I also agree about the side controls. I've glued some small stickers where the tone knobs are because they are generally impossible to see and find otherwise. Thankfully all of them are at least "set and forget" stuff rather than something you fiddle with all the time.
There’s totally nothing wrong with using it that way, and that’s exactly what I’d do too. But as we’ve both said, there are the inherent compromises with the design. Ah well, maybe someday.

View attachment 15559I really wish Blug or someone would come out with an amp like this, for guitarists. Yes, I’m aware of the DV Mark stuff, but honestly it can’t touch the Blug stuff in terms of tone. But I can’t stand floor amps. They’re stupid, and make too many compromises to be so tiny. The side controls on the Amp1, for instance. Put more of that on the face of the amp like the Mesa Subway, and just make a tiny 7 pound head.
#paisleyboogiee

It looks like it has potential but it's not something I'd spend $2K on. Same with the TMP.

For that kind of money I'd rather go with a FM9/FR-12 rig.

I just realized that if I were to get the Amp X, it's big enough to look a bit weird on top of my Nanocab. It would look like the letter T.

I think the Amp1 Iridium is literally THE most slept on devices for hard rock and metal. It's way less choice, than a modeler, but it's dialed in SO well I don't care. It's light, durable, truly arena loud if you want. It does all the basics we need really, really well - clean, dirty and lead.

It can do British rock 70s, thrash 80s, up to seven string 2020s. It has a boost, reverb, and a gate built in.

You can run it for three presets or for two presets with reverb and boost on/off. Whatever is better use of three switches for you. So smart!

The only other thing I need to do a show that isn't the guitar or a cab? Is a tuner.

It's hard to see anything being better even if it is "more" b/c then the inevitable tradeoffs of "more" kick in.

I love my Fractal FM9T but I also love my Amp1 when I just want ready to go and analog knobs. Both great, great tools.

I think the Amp1 Iridium is literally THE most slept on devices for hard rock and metal. It's way less choice, than a modeler, but it's dialed in SO well I don't care. It's light, durable, truly arena loud if you want. It does all the basics we need really, really well - clean, dirty and lead.

It can do British rock 70s, thrash 80s, up to seven string 2020s. It has a boost, reverb, and a gate built in.

You can run it for three presets or for two presets with reverb and boost on/off. Whatever is better use of three switches for you. So smart!

The only other thing I need to do a show that isn't the guitar or a cab? Is a tuner.

It's hard to see anything being better even if it is "more" b/c then the inevitable tradeoffs of "more" kick in.

I love my Fractal FM9T but I also love my Amp1 when I just want ready to go and analog knobs. Both great, great tools.
I prefer the sound of the Mercury Edition because it's less aggressive, but otherwise my only beef is not having dedicated EQ for the clean channel. I instead end up using my ME more like a switchable voice single channel amp and just dialing that channel to perfection. I mostly live on the Vintage channel and it works beautifully as a clean channel too by rolling your guitar volume down.

I kinda wish they had gone with the dual channel "Amp 2" concept Blug showed on paper in one of his livestreams. It was basically a dual channel Amp 1 with individual EQs. Would be probably out by now.

Otherwise I totally agree with you. I pretty much never use overdrives with the Amp 1 because the built in boost is good enough and it has a whopping ton of gain in the first place. The noise gate is good enough, the only additions you need are tuner, reverb and delay.

The Iridium Edition has some small conveniences that I miss on my ME. Turning on the reverb changes the noise gate from hard to soft so you can do your metal riffage, then kick on a bit of reverb for your solo sound without fear of your notes getting cut out. Being able to turn off the analog cab sim makes the recording out more useful too.

The Amp 1 series is just full of little things that make total sense, but the old school bright caps at least on the ME make it maybe work a bit less well for "volume & tone on 10" people.

Back