Best Of All Worlds Tour Thread 5150/Sammy/Satch/Van Halen

Man I love Satriani (except that last album heh). It will be interesting to get his take on the VH stuff.

But I would’ve liked to have seen Dweezil Zappa playing guitar on this tour, though. I worked with him on a guitar clinic about 21 years ago and he plays VH perfectly. The intro to Mean Streets no prob.
Dweezil could definitely pull it off, no problem. I love Dweezil. But this is basically the Chicken Foot band. Satch is awesome and he'll put his own spin on EVH.
You made me think of the first VH song I learned.. "316". Interestingly enough, I believe it was part of a Satriani lesson/article he referenced in Guitar Player mag IIRC.

Probably been 20+ years since I last listened to the Van Hagar albums in their entirety. WTF was wrong with me. :facepalm

WTF was wrong with me. :facepalm

Who Knows Idk GIF

Probably been 20+ years since I last listened to the Van Hagar albums in their entirety. WTF was wrong with me. :facepalm

I did the same until the past year or so, when I gave them all a full listen after Eddie passed. I've admittedly been very anti-Hagar over the years, but softened considerably since Eddie's been gone, and now really enjoy those albums. (I loved 5150 through to F.U.C.K. back in the day, but over time came to be a pretty exclusive DLR-era fan.)

Yeah Sammy can be a horrible lyricist and kind of goofy, but he is a top-level rock singer and wrote some great stuff with Eddie back in the day, melody and vocal-performance-wise.

Now I just appreciate both eras and as much Eddie as I can get.

I listened to all 3 Van Hagar albums today. It's a different vibe for sure from the DLR-era
stuff. But gotdammit it sure holds up.

Can Summer '24 get here already! :LOL:

This track kicks

You can hear why Sammy doesn't do serious unless it's lovey dovey in this song, though. Still kicks though.

I know Sammy hated this one and it was what got him the boot; but it's a ripper

And Eddie's tone is INSANE on the first track, so huge and love the part at the end with the muted chunks. :love

Also a great vocal melody in the verses. Sammy did have a knack for writing great parts around Eddie's riffs.

And Eddie's tone is INSANE on the first track, so huge and love the part at the end with the muted chunks. :love

Also a great vocal melody in the verses. Sammy did have a knack for writing great parts around Eddie's riffs.
It's one of my first "non-metal" go to riffs when I take it down to drop-d town :chef

I've admittedly been very anti-Hagar over the years, but softened considerably since Eddie's been gone, and now really enjoy those albums. (I loved 5150 through to F.U.C.K. back in the day, but over time came to be a pretty exclusive DLR-era fan.)

Yeah Sammy can be a horrible lyricist and kind of goofy, but he is a top-level rock singer and wrote some great stuff with Eddie back in the day, melody and vocal-performance-wise.

Now I just appreciate both eras and as much Eddie as I can get.

Same. JT even busted my balls about it this morning. I am afraid it is becoming routine for him. :LOL:

It's great material. Full stop. I can bite my own tongue and swallow my foolish pride. Life's too
damn short to not like much for one reason or another. :beer

Gpdd@mn if the title track of 5150 isn't so killer! :chef :chef :chef

I love the story about Eddie calling Sammy in the middle of the night and saying "get over here right now and listen to what I just wrote, dude," and Sammy going over and coming up with the vocals pretty much immediately... and it became the song 5150. That is some inspired songwriting between those two.

Listening to Human's Being right now; and it's all awesome. But that kick pattern and groove under the solo so deceptively simple yet complex in that it vibes so damn hard. I really hope Alex pops in on these shows because his talent should be on display while he is still around.

Good for Sammy to have the nuts to do this. It's just spreading the love and joy of the music
they all shared and made together.

If you are a young person, this must be a real treat, since none of them were able to see VH before.

Last edited:
Back