Best Of All Worlds Tour Thread 5150/Sammy/Satch/Van Halen

Figured this deserves its own thread at this point.

Honestly, I didn't see this coming. Watching those clips from the Howard Stern
Show where they announced the Tour and played a few songs made me so happy.
Goosebump inducing!

Who's the drummer?

Howard asked some great questions! I've always wanted to be a fly on the wall when bands are writing songs together. That was cool listening to Sammy recount the process!

No DC show?? awww :cry:

Eh, Bristow's not too far. Long drive for me though, bout 3.5 hours one way. Think Imma have to wait and see if maybe they extend it and add some dates. Cuz I would definitely go see them!!

Was looking for this thread.

My first VH album was 5150. Heard You Really Got Me, saw the Pretty Woman and 1984 videos on MTV but that whole MA doowop backing vocal thing always turned me off for whatever reason. I knew Eddie and Alex were GOATs in their field and ALWAYS worshipped at their playing skill but just sort of leapfrogged over their early material into heavier metal.

5150 had that Hagar thing that was easy to not like pretty quick (aka nowhere near the cleverness of Roth, lyrically speaking) but I loved every minute of it. Even the first round of 'Love' songs. The guitar parts were so weird but awesome, the grooves even with the Simmons sounds were killer and the synths were great to my ear. Obviously. Eddie's guitar tones were still ripping as well as heading into that 90s processed vibe that I wish I would have been more mindful of during that era.

This seems like a good thing. I would love to see Alex and Wolfie pop in. Not sure how Wolf feels about MA or Sammy but I would love to see him pop in and jam. Bonham is a great choice and a pretty underrated drummer. Living in the shadow of his dad then doing the late round hair metal whitesnake-lite thing didn't exactly put him on the radar (for me) unfortunately. But he's a player. Watching him drum on Stairway at the Kennedy Center thing with Ann Wilson was :chef

One request I would have for Sammy is to maybe look around at some other Roth material besides You Really Got Me and whatever other dead stupid obvious ones and do some deep(er) cuts. Put aside your Roth annoyance and pride and do some of that old shizz :satan
(And again, it’s hilarious, and peak-TGF, that this news/topic was buried in a modeler thread here… :grin)
That's Our TGFTM
:banana

Damn.
"Right Now" is a whole step down and still a struggle. Getting old sucks.

Sad Feelings GIF

Satriani was holding back when he played that intro to "Mean Streets".

Didn't wanna throw shade on Ed.

"respek" :farley

Sammy is the best example of someone with a phenomenal voice who should never have a lyric book. Just STFU and sing the words the "grown-ups" wrote :hmm

Like some others at a glance I initially thought it was a version of Chickenfoot.

To me this would have been a better undertaking with Alex and Wolfgang if it’s a VanHalen Tribute Tour.

Satriani was holding back when he played that intro to "Mean Streets".

Didn't wanna throw shade on Ed.

"respek" :farley

Man I love Satriani (except that last album heh). It will be interesting to get his take on the VH stuff.

But I would’ve liked to have seen Dweezil Zappa playing guitar on this tour, though. I worked with him on a guitar clinic about 21 years ago and he plays VH perfectly. The intro to Mean Streets no prob.

To me this would have been a better undertaking with Alex and Wolfgang if it’s a VanHalen Tribute Tour.

💯. But as Wolfgang has said (and VH fans know), too many issues. VH had been snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for 25 years. Either it’ll never happen or it will happen when it is too late.

Back