Best cheap audio interface?

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Looking for a cheap, but decent enough audio interface to put in my home office. I have a nice one for my "creative studio" that I got last year, but since I work from home and grab a guitar on my breaks throughout the day, inspirations sometimes strikes and I'd love to record it straight to my DAW instead of just on my iPhone voice memo app.

Thinking sub-$100, and have looked at grabbing a gen1 Scarlett, but I know there are some other options out there for bare bones interfaces.

I hate seeing the words CHEAP and AUDIO INTERFACE in the same sentence. It's one of the most critical links in the chain!
Focusrite is tried and true and they're running a sale to keep things under $100 if you don't mind a factory refurb.

Ooops. Missed that. Seems the market is pretty loaded with under $100 solutions these days.

1703254292414.png

Presonus Studio 24c/26c interfaces offer really good quality at affordable prices. Or how about an Arturia MiniFuse 1? It‘s even a little bit cheaper and has the optimal input level for Helix Native.

Last edited:
Focusrite has been rock solid for me. I'd pick a used Scarlett 4i4, 6i6 or 8i6 2nd or 3rd gen for not much money over the Scarlett Solos and whatnot.

I still haven't found a worthwhile replacement for my 2nd gen 6i6. Nothing has the same combination of:
  • Enough inputs/outputs.
  • Dual headphone jacks.
  • MIDI I/O.
  • SPDIF I/O.
  • Form factor.
  • Not that expensive.
  • Troublefree, reasonably low latency drivers for both Windows and MacOS.

Ooops. Missed that. Seems the market is pretty loaded with under $100 solutions these days.

View attachment 16203
Pretty sure I tried the M-Audio (was way too quiet) and the Native is what I have downstairs (love it!). Would be curious if anyone here has tried any of the others though.
Presonus Studio 24c/26c interfaces offer really good quality at affordable prices. Or how about an Arturia MiniFuse 1? It‘s even a little bit cheaper and has the optimal input level for Helix Native.
Links? It's hard to be a slacker if you're going to make me work for it... :cop
Focusrite has been rock solid for me. I'd pick a used Scarlett 6i6 or 8i6 2nd or 3rd gen for not much money over the Scarlett Solos and whatnot.
I loved my 2i2 1st gen - as soon as Focusrite introduced the need for their software, the Scarlett went off a cliff though. Piles of people online having he same issues I had and never getting a fix from Focusrite...

Personally, I‘d get the MiniFuse, because it has exactly the right instrument input level for Helix Native.

Last edited:
Personally, I‘d get the MiniFuse, because it has exactly the right instrument input level for Helix Native.
Minifuse or no, does anyone have experience with the Arturia audio interfaces? I looked at the AudioFuse and AudioFuse Studio maybe a year ago and their feature sets would be pretty perfect for me, but I've read that the main encoder on them tends to have issues and the small unit gets hot. No idea about driver quality either.

Which issues? My only gripe is being disconnected from the software whenever I look at my 18i20 wrong.
I don't remember the exact error message, but it essentially tells you it's not connected/can't connect and runs you in an eternal loop of disconnect/reboot/reconnect/error message.

Added: These are my posts about it on another forum:

Bought a Focusrite Scarlet 4i4 last week, it arrived late Friday night. Hooked it up first thing Saturday morning and it won't connect - just gives me a "no hardware connected" error.

Jumped thru all the troubleshooting hoops on the Focusrite website (different cables, different ports, reboot, re-download drivers, put your left leg/left leg out...), none of which worked and all of which brought me to the "Contact Support" end game.

Contacted their Tech Support Saturday right before lunchtime. In the contact, I let them know all the things I'd tried.

They didn't reply until about 4am Monday, asking if I tried several of the things that I said I tried in the initial contact submission. Then, they asked for a System Report showing my Mac's extensions. I had that to them within an hour of getting the reply.

Here we are, over 3 days later and no response.

In my hours of Google-fu trying to find a workaround for the issue, I came across a number of people who have/had the same issue, and several of them who had been going back and forth with Focusrite's Tech Support for months - usually with maybe one reply by Focusrite every week or two - with no end in sight.

So, the 4i4 is going back and that's the end of that.
laugh.gif

My Scarlet 2i2 has been bulletproof since I got it back in 2015 and still works like a charm. Bummer the 4i4 won't connect, but a bigger bummer Focusrite's customer service is so pathetic. The way companies assist/treat their customers is huge for me, so Focusrite is now a cautionary tale for how not to treat your customer.
--
I found pages worth of stuff related to the "No Hardware Connected" issue...
--
Focusrite finally responded to the last Tech Support reply this morning - 9 days later - and asked me to plug the 4i4 into another computer just to be sure... really? Like, everyone has spare computers lying around to test their units with?

The only other thing they asked was if the unit was new or used/refurbished... but they have the Serial Number as it wouldn't let me submit a Tech Support ticket without it.

I don't remember the exact error message, but it essentially tells you it's not connected/can't connect and runs you in an eternal loop of disconnect/reboot/reconnect/error message.

Added: These are my posts about it on another forum:

--

--
EXACTLY my issue. Every time I plug the USB in to my Stomp and it connects to HX Edit, Focusrite connection drops. Then I go through Power cycling the software and the device to bring it back up. PITA for recording sessions. Sometimes it doesn't come back up after power cycling both the app and the hardware and I'll have to kill the task in the task manager related to anything Focusrite to get it to work again.

I'm kind of so used to it now that it's the same kind of feeling as "oh I got to get up and plug some shit in now"

EXACTLY my issue. Every time I plug the USB in to my Stomp and it connects to HX Edit, Focusrite connection drops. Then I go through Power cycling the software and the device to bring it back up. PITA for recording sessions. Sometimes it doesn't come back up after power cycling both the app and the hardware and I'll have to kill the task in the task manager related to anything Focusrite to get it to work again.

I'm kind of so used to it now that it's the same kind of feeling as "oh I got to get up and plug some shit in now"
Get a Native Komplete. Better preamps, cleaner signal, zero issues.

I used the Mackie Onyx Blackjack for many years. Only two channels but it does have mic-pre's in it and 48v phantom if that helps you any. The one I have is discontinued but their is a replacement model out there. I use the Axe as my interface now or my Tascam Model 12 board.

Not really cheap, but came from a Behringer UMC, to a UAD Volt 2 and I love it! Came with nice goodies too! It is kinda affordable.

Back