Being vulnerable - Hotel California solo (and now some Stones)

Fireproof

Shredder
I don’t post clips of myself mainly because all of you are so much better than me lol. But it’s all about our personal journey and continuing to get better (even with the little time I have, lol), right?

Anyway here’s a Dropbox video of me doing the solo to hotel California. A few flubs and all.

(Also - just an iPhone audio recording of my playing over the song…its not easy for me to setup for recording into the computer etc.)

Thanks man! I just wish it didn’t take me so long to learn stuff like this, LOL. Hoping I’m building up some muscle memory in the process…

I hear ya, man, my brain sends out a “Running low on RAM” message when I start getting into longer solos. Even Floyd stuff that I’ve heard millions of times, I just can’t retain it like I used to. In general, unless I’m playing them regularly in a cover band, I’ll learn a song and forget it in the same day.

I hear ya, man, my brain sends out a “Running low on RAM” message when I start getting into longer solos. Even Floyd stuff that I’ve heard millions of times, I just can’t retain it like I used to. In general, unless I’m playing them regularly in a cover band, I’ll learn a song and forget it in the same day.
That makes me feel better! Also part of my problem is I didn’t pick up guitar until after college, and then dating / marriage / etc., really didn’t put in the time to progress. I missed those early woodshedding days. Wished I had gotten into it before I found girls, LMAO.

That makes me feel better! Also part of my problem is I didn’t pick up guitar until after college, and then dating / marriage / etc., really didn’t put in the time to progress. I missed those early woodshedding days. Wished I had gotten into it before I found girls, LMAO.

Hahahahaha I recently said that 90% of what I do now was learned before I discovered Pantera, weed, booze and chicks. :rofl :rofl :rofl

I have a hard time memorizing those arpeggios. Did you simply memorize the notes, or have you learned the chord shapes in those various positions?

I realize it would help if I were to learn my chord shapes in different locations on the fretboard, as I'm sure it would make playing something like this easier.

I have a hard time memorizing those arpeggios. Did you simply memorize the notes, or have you learned the chord shapes in those various positions?

I realize it would help if I were to learn my chord shapes in different locations on the fretboard, as I'm sure it would make playing something like this easier.
Yeah, in this case, I just memorized the notes. One of my weaknesses is not knowing a bunch of chord shapes across the fretboard. I’ve not done a lot of arpeggio practice either - been mainly a pentatonic and blues scale guy up to now. So that’s why it takes me longer to nail a note-for-note solo because I don’t have muscle memory of a bunch of chord shapes and patterns to rely upon.

Nice! Nailed it! :)

Curious about the neck pickup choice???
Thank you!! And haha - right? This was recorded a little while ago and I can’t really remember how I ended up soloing on the neck pickup. I wasn’t really paying attention to the tone when I recorded this, especially since it was just an iphone capture in the room.

Okay I figured I would share one more.

This is my first venture into open G tuning. One of my favorite Rolling Stones songs I thought I would give a try…. Lemme know what you think…. (One of these days I’ll find the time to get slick with some backing tracks, and record from my FM9 into Logic and all of that… Until then, you get to suffer from “in-the-room” iphone capture again, LOL).

Back